Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Titation between Manganate and iron(II) ions - Electrode Potentials

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Question:

Values from Data Booklet:

What I don't understand is why the Permanganate ions will reduce to Mn(II) ions instead of MnO2, as stated in the mark scheme? Is it because of the fact that we don't get black/brown solid(MnO2) at the end of the titration?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Question:

What I don't understand is why the Permanganate ions will reduce to Mn(II) ions instead of MnO2, as stated in the mark scheme? Is it because of the fact that we don't get black/brown solid(MnO2) at the end of the titration?
    I'm guessing your exam board uses the clockwise rule? Edexcel use the anti-clockwise rule (most negative on top of list, most positive at the bottom). Therefore, anything on the left will react with ANYTHING above it and to the right, I apologise if this is confusing.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zishi)
    Question:

The more positive a reduction potential value is, the better oxidising agent it is. Therefore, it will become reduced more easily, and thus gain electrons more easily.

I think it's just because MnO4- is a very strong oxidising agent (compare to the likes of K2Cr2O7), and thus will become reduced very easily to Mn2+, instead of Mn4+ in MnO2.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, seems like Iron(II) is strong enough reducing agent to reduce manganate(VII) ions to manganate(II) ions. Thanks to both of you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 6, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.