The Student Room Group

People that don't have Facebook, why not?

Most of the people that I know use Facebook, its a useful tool for staying connected to friends.

However, recently I hear a lot people havee become disillusioned with it and are saying it is a waste of time. I'm intrigued by people who don't use it and and am intrested in what their reasons for not having it are.

Surely the pros of having it outweigh the cons?
I had it for years and got rid a few weeks ago.

For me it became a vessel of self indulgence, judgementalism and paranoia.
Reply 2
I haven't used it since last September. I got fed up of the way people seem to overanalyse everything you do/don't do on there (i.e- some people believing your relationship doesn't exist until it's 'facebook official'), the fact that some people use it to simply validate their relationships/actions/friendships and the fact that, tbh, I just don't feel the need to broadcast my life to the rest of the world.

I'm lucky in that all the friends/family I care about I can contact in other ways and I do get that lots of people rely on Facebook for contact because they don't have that option.

For me, it was just a phenomenal waste of time.
Reply 3
Erm, it's a piece of script connected to a backend database it's unsafe by nature, employers are recently being challenged in high courts in the united stated for demanding your login details.
Reply 4
I've never had it- I just don't like the idea of your life being on the internet for everyone to see.
And yes, i am aware you can customise your privacy settings, but it's barely secure really.
I'd rather call/ skype people if I wanna catch up :smile:
My cousin gave up on it because he's just reminded of the person he was and just feels deep regret about what he should, could and didn't do everytime he looks at his profile.

I do think it's annoying when people aren't on Facebook just because it can literally become impossible to see how someone is doing nowadays. One person I was in class with for an entire two years just disappeared out of my life as soon as college was over, i'd really like to see how they're doing but there's just no way of contacting them which is quite a shame.
Reply 6
Recently I just felt it invaded my privacy alot cos everything seems connected to facebook. I never wanted the timeline feature either cos there are somethings that should stay forgotten lol.

The other thing that made me leave was because I've lost alot of friends through broken relationship and facebook reminded me of them all the time when I see pictures and other stuffs. I guess am not good at keeping friends or am starting to lose my faith in humanity which is depressing so for these complicated reasons I turned the paged and gave up facebook forever.
Reply 7
I took it deleted mine some months ago, why? I thought it was a good idea as people tend to judge you on your facebook even if a lot of things said on it are merely banter..... plus you'd never know who is watching, it becomes rather important to know who is watching once you start making your own money.
Reply 8
Original post by vox001
I've never had it- I just don't like the idea of your life being on the internet for everyone to see.
And yes, i am aware you can customise your privacy settings, but it's barely secure really.
I'd rather call/ skype people if I wanna catch up :smile:

This.

Everything you've written here is absolutely the same for me :smile:
I deleted mine for about a week but I couldn't do it. The only two things keeping me on there are a) thousands of photos that I don't have on my laptop and don't fancy trawling through to save ...plus that's where I can access photos my friends take on nights out for example. b) I'm really nosy and like stalking people :/ heh
Original post by The_Jammy_Witch
I had it for years and got rid a few weeks ago.

For me it became a vessel of self indulgence, judgementalism and paranoia.

Totally agree.

For me Facebook really is the epitome of where the internet went wrong.

Things I cannot stand on Facebook! :angry:

Baby Photos - No we do NOT want to see your ugly little drooling sprogs

Nightclub photos - it's gotten a whole lot worse now with those camera people that seem to hang around clubs like a bad smell, taking pictures of girls with big boobs and One Direction rejects with fisheye lens. It's all for promotion.

Girls in relationships - we don't want to know how much you love your bf and no we don't want to see you kissing either

People who do not reply - because that's just rude. If someone's nice enough to send you a message you should be nice enough to reply. Manners.

The whole 'Like' system - it's lazy. It's pathetic 'popularity contest' crap

Aquaintences - I don't need aquaintences. I want FRIENDS on my Facebook. Maybe it's a good way to keep in touch with your mate in Belgium or Germany or Kenya or wherever, but I don't need to be adding some random idiot i met in a smoking area.

'posers' - i cannot stand these people (usually girls). Suggestive and posey photos added all the time for attention. GTFO.

People who add awkward family photos - some photos weren't meant for the internet. Photos of your birthday party, family christmas dinner, family Eid celebration, etc.

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by jblackmoustache
Totally agree.

For me Facebook really is the epitome of where the internet went wrong.

Things I cannot stand on Facebook! :angry:

Baby Photos - No we do NOT want to see your ugly little drooling sprogs

Nightclub photos - it's gotten a whole lot worse now with those camera people that seem to hang around clubs like a bad smell, taking pictures of girls with big boobs and One Direction rejects with fisheye lens. It's all for promotion.

Girls in relationships - we don't want to know how much you love your bf and no we don't want to see you kissing either

People who do not reply - because that's just rude. If someone's nice enough to send you a message you should be nice enough to reply. Manners.

The whole 'Like' system - it's lazy. It's pathetic 'popularity contest' crap

Aquaintences - I don't need aquaintences. I want FRIENDS on my Facebook. Maybe it's a good way to keep in touch with your mate in Belgium or Germany or Kenya or wherever, but I don't need to be adding some random idiot i met in a smoking area.

'posers' - i cannot stand these people (usually girls). Suggestive and posey photos added all the time for attention. GTFO.

People who add awkward family photos - some photos weren't meant for the internet. Photos of your birthday party, family christmas dinner, family Eid celebration, etc.

Yeah, agree with all of those. Yes it's judgemental, but you can't help but make a judgement when FB makes it so easy! I mean there is another side to it, but I feel that Timeline was the final nail in the coffin for me. Check out that little baby icon at the bottom - creepy! It reminded me of that scene from The Matrix with those human 'farms'.

I prefer Twitter now. Considerably less scope for approval-seeking. I restrict mine to all my 'business' goings-on. My productivity has gone way up the richter scale since quitting FB.

If you want to see me tits up on the dance floor, you'll actually have to BE there now.
Original post by The_Jammy_Witch
Yeah, agree with all of those. Yes it's judgemental, but you can't help but make a judgement when FB makes it so easy! I mean there is another side to it, but I feel that Timeline was the final nail in the coffin for me. Check out that little baby icon at the bottom - creepy! It reminded me of that scene from The Matrix with those human 'farms'.

I prefer Twitter now. Considerably less scope for approval-seeking. I restrict mine to all my 'business' goings-on. My productivity has gone way up the richter scale since quitting FB.

If you want to see me tits up on the dance floor, you'll actually have to BE there now.

haha one disadvantage of not having facebook - you can't be there to detag/get your friends to delete photos!!
Original post by pauline_lg
haha one disadvantage of not having facebook - you can't be there to detag/get your friends to delete photos!!

That's true; but people rarely tag people who aren't on FB, and without me having a profile, tagging wouldn't do much anyway... so I think I'll hedge my bets!

Also, now I get to buy a bespoke 'I'm not on Facebook' t-shirt! :biggrin:
Isn't it today that timeline is supposed to become compulsory or something ?
I have never had Facebook. It's funny because when you meet someone they automatically presume you will have it and ask for your name etc. I don't really feel the need to stay in contact with people I have met once at a party and those who I want to stay in touch with can make the effort to send a text message. There isn't a particular reason why I don't have it.. I just never felt the need to have it. I think if I did get it I would spend too much time looking at other peoples profiles and pictures when I don't really need that in my life.
I do use Twitter though. I find it much more interesting and it is not full of photographs and so it is not a way for people to show off their lives.
Reply 16
I get paranoid on fb, I don't know it's hard to explain I keep thinking I will delete it, probably will if they make the timeline compulsory!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending