Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are so many football players dying or collapsing from heart attacks...?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Even the young players are having heart issues, but why is this? And why footballers?

I train in boxing, and I personally believe that boxing is a more physically strenuous sport than football, especially the training. But you still don't hear about boxers collapsing from heart attacks, and if it does happen, it's very rare.

But there seems to be an issue with footballers dying from heart attacks. Why are footballers more affected by this?

I know it's probably heard about more, as there are probably hundreds of thousands of footballers in the UK, but it's still shocking to see so many footballers, especially young ones dying from heart attacks.

Your opinions?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't see any reason why it would be more common in footballers than in any other sport. It happens because of a pre-existing undiagnosed heart condition and the arrest can just be triggered by the exercise (although it can occur at any time even at rest) so it seems reasonable to assume that boxers will likely have a similar incidence. Perhaps it is simply because in the UK football is the most popular sport, with considerably more people doing it than boxing, and as such there are more cases because of the larger sample? On top of that, footballers tend to be (as a generalization) more widely known than boxers, so it will be bigger news when a well known footballer collapses. The thing I find surprising is that professional athletes do not have regular screening for heart problems throughout their career.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    overload.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    too much energy drink, I believe.
    • 46 followers

ReputationRep:
    It does not matter what your profession is, anyone can suffer an heart attack (family genes etc).
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)
    Even the young players are having heart issues, but why is this? And why footballers?

I train in boxing, and I personally believe that boxing is a more physically strenuous sport than football, especially the training. But you still don't hear about boxers collapsing from heart attacks, and if it does happen, it's very rare.

But there seems to be an issue with footballers dying from heart attacks. Why are footballers more affected by this?

I know it's probably heard about more, as there are probably hundreds of thousands of footballers in the UK, but it's still shocking to see so many footballers, especially young ones dying from heart attacks.

Your opinions?
    So many = a handful.

You're blowing this out of proportion.

It's tragic, but its not an epidemic which needs to be combated. It's just unfortunate.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    There haven't been that many, have there?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibbles209)
    The thing I find surprising is that professional athletes do not have regular screening for heart problems throughout their career.
    The problem with heart screenings at the moment is that if any professional were to get their heart screened, 98% of them will be given the 'all clear'. However, this screening test means the heart appears to be 'ok' at that given time.

The problem with this, is that some footballers may have pre existing heart conditions, but they don't get picked up from the screening test, and this will act as a ticking time bomb if you like. This is where the problem lies.

I agree with what you are saying, the more often professional athletes have their hearts screened, the more lives could be saved.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    it's roids, i'm telling ya man!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	usDw2.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	140283
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    So many? How many have there actually been? And then compare it to how many footballers there are, you'll find it's comparable to the national average more or less.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnigmaUK)

Your opinions?
    So many = Fabrice Muamba. Is that what you class as 'so many'?

(pretty sure he's the only one who's collapsed due to heart problems in the last 6 months - 1 year, might be wrong though. don't keep up with football much)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    So many = Fabrice Muamba. Is that what you class as 'so many'?

(pretty sure he's the only one who's collapsed due to heart problems in the last 6 months - 1 year, might be wrong though. don't keep up with football much)
    There was a footballer who died last week in a cup game... he was older and playing for a lesser-known club, hence the lack of media reporting

................................ .......................

People are screened in competitive sports because often an undiagnosed heart condition can make people a better player (e.g. bigger heart, greater oxygen pumping capabilities) or have other desirable sporting qualities (e.g. taller people, great for basketball etc but if its in association with a genetic condition they have high risk of heart problems - Marfan's syndrome)

In addition to this you get the fact that people are training for crazy hours at a very high standard, something which we're no longer expected to do (in evolutionary terms).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    There a lot of footballers which have died from cardiac arrest or heart related problems. This is mainly the reason why...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertr...cardiomyopathy

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 8, 2013
New on TSR

What is sixth form like?

Share your story!

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.