Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sexist colleague now hates me

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    I never said that there was the freedom to do so. I said I had no problem with it provided no one was offended. I don't disseminate racist jokes in the workplace, but if I heard one, it wouldn't bother me or make me think any less of the person.
    Yeh and i said, youll find your opinon of whats acceptable is contrary to workplace environment rules and regs . You may have no problem with telling racist jokes, but i would. If a black guy overheard you telling a nasty racist joke to one of your mates and proceeded to pound your face in, again i would probably support his reasons for doing so.

In the work evironment if you are overheard telling racist jokes, you can prepare yourslef for disciplinary action - im amazed you would be so stupid as to not realise this is how modern employers operate in this country.

Does it mean that a woman who says: "What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for air and yelling your name? A:You aren't holding the pillow long enough" truly believes that the best thing to do to men is to suffocate them to death, and should be locked up for public safety?
    Don't be so stupid.

I dont know what the **** you are going on about here
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indo-Chinese Food)
    Yeh and i said, youll find your opinon of whats acceptable is contrary to workplace environment rules and regs . You may have no problem with telling racist jokes, but i would. If a black guy overheard you telling a nasty racist joke to one of your mates and proceeded to pound your face in, again i would probably support his reasons for doing so.

In the work evironment if you are overheard telling racist jokes, you can prepare yourslef for disciplinary action - im amazed you would be so stupid as to not realise this is how modern employers operate in this country.
    I know this well, that's why I won't be heard disseminating them, neither will someone complain about me disseminating them after the event. It doesn't mean I have a twisted morality because I'm not offended by it.

I dont know what the **** you are going on about here
    You said that I have a twisted morality that I think its OK to make these type of jokes, as though doing so is somehow expressing their own discriminatory opinion and they are somehow disgusting because of it.

It doesnt mean the practice is acceptable or allowed. Like i said , your view on this and the morality behind it it seems is entirely twisted.
    What is twisted is making the link between someone who tells a joke and believing that that is what they truly believe, deep down.

I then gave the example - perhaps an extreme one, but no more extreme than you suggesting I'd tell a racist joke when a black guy was about.

"What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for air and yelling your name? A:You aren't holding the pillow long enough"

So according to your logic, it means that by telling this joke, she has a twisted morality and believes that the best thing to do to men is to suffocate them to death, and should be locked up for public safety?

Would you support the courts logic in doing so?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    I work in an office with about a dozen people, and the other day a woman there was talking to another about how it's so annoying that feminists ruined everything for women and how now they have to work full time, forever, in ****ty jobs whereas previously they could just chill at home basically and it was normal for a man to provide for them. They both agreed, half joking but seemed also fairly serious. I was disgusted and reported them both, and now one is being disciplined and the other got suspended.

Now apparently they hate me and there's a weird atmosphere at work, but obviously they were wrong, yes?

Troll.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    I work in an office with about a dozen people, and the other day a woman there was talking to another about how it's so annoying that feminists ruined everything for women and how now they have to work full time, forever, in ****ty jobs whereas previously they could just chill at home basically and it was normal for a man to provide for them. They both agreed, half joking but seemed also fairly serious. I was disgusted and reported them both, and now one is being disciplined and the other got suspended.

Now apparently they hate me and there's a weird atmosphere at work, but obviously they were wrong, yes?
    You should have been suspended imo. Not so long ago in history people were "reporting" each other. I don't know British education, but where I come from if you reported your classmates both ended punished one for misbehaving, the other for reporting on its friends...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know this well, that's why I won't be heard disseminating them, neither will someone complain about me disseminating them after the event. It doesn't mean I have a twisted morality because I'm not offended by it.

You said that I have a twisted morality that I think its OK to make these type of jokes, as though doing so is somehow expressing their own discriminatory opinion and they are somehow disgusting because of it.

Whether someone reports you at work or not is not in your control :rolleyes:
    Im sure the person in the case of this thread wasnt aware she could be overheard. So thats not relevant either. The fact remains your idea of telling racist jokes in work is rightly open to disciplinary action. The fact that you think racist jokes are perfectly fine is also irrellevant, personally i note them appealing only to retards, which is why 'comedy' acts like bernard manning and jim davidson have fallen out of the mainstream years ago.

What is twisted is making the link between someone who tells a joke and believing that that is what they truly believe, deep down.
    No, it just means you arnt necessarily a nazi, just amused by pretty dimwitted jokes that arnt appropriate in a civilised workplace. I personally dont find racist jokes acceptable, they are for 1970 comedians that made a career teling jokes about black people - thankfully off the tv nowadyas. that shows you are different to me. But the original point wasnt about how base your morality was, it was that you erroneously think telling racist jokes in the workplace is accpetable - it isnt.

I then gave the example - perhaps an extreme one, but no more extreme than you suggesting I'd tell a racist joke when a black guy was about.

"What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for air and yelling your name? A:You aren't holding the pillow long enough"

So according to your logic, it means that by telling this joke, she has a twisted morality and believes that the best thing to do to men is to suffocate them to death, and should be locked up for public safety?
    No, i didnt recognise this as a joke, that was my point. Jokes are supossed to be funny, in my experience anyway. I think this whole conversation might be lost on you if you dont have the cranial capacity to understand the principle of what a joke is and what racism is.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Whether someone reports you at work or not is not in your control :rolleyes:
    Reports me for what? Telling a racist joke at work when I never have? Sure, but that's possible about anyone, even you. You keep battering on about people reporting me for this and that, even though I covered that several posts back.

Im sure the person in the case of this thread wasnt aware she could be overheard. So thats not relevant either. The fact remains your idea of telling racist jokes in work is rightly open to disciplinary action. The fact that you think racist jokes are perfectly fine is also irrellevant, personally i note them appealing only to retards, which is why 'comedy' acts like bernard manning and jim davidson have fallen out of the mainstream years ago.
    However, calling someone a retard is perfectly fine?

It's just a shame that ginger people, fat people, disabled people, skinny people, ugly people, short people, mentally ill people, etc, don't have a huge lobby of guilt-ridden people fighting to stop *them* being abused, joked about and made to feel inferior.

If the whole point of an -ism is to stop being prejudiced, causing offence and hurt feelings about something other people can't help, then either all of it is acceptable or none of it is.

No, it just means you arnt necessarily a nazi, just amused by pretty dimwitted jokes that arnt appropriate in a civilised workplace. I personally dont find racist jokes acceptable, they are for 1970 comedians that made a career teling jokes about black people - thankfully off the tv nowadyas. that shows you are different to me. But the original point wasnt about how base your morality was, it was that you erroneously think telling racist jokes in the workplace is accpetable - it isnt.
    I didn't give wholesale approval to acceptability. I said it was fine as long as no one was offended. There is a difference.

No, i didnt recognise this as a joke, that was my point. Jokes are supossed to be funny, in my experience anyway. I think this whole conversation might be lost on you if you dont have the cranial capacity to understand the principle of what a joke is and what racism is.
    You don't have the cranial capacity to understand that people don't tell jokes in public about certain stereotypes anymore because there is always some politically correct person like you who is ready to be offended on behalf of the target of the joke.

So they tell them in private instead. It's not because we live in supposedly more enlightened times, it's because we live in a society where - well, just look at the original post that started this thread.

And for people who make a living telling jokes in public - well, they have switched to safer stereotypes. And because you have less people being offended by black-on-white racism, Chris Rock and others can still get away with some of the things he says, even though it does draw a few complaints. Not half as many as you would get if it was white-on-black racism though.

Plenty of comedians make a living telling sexist jokes, and racist jokes even today. You have comedians mocking stereotypes of Americans, Irish, Welsh, Australians, and many more. That still fits the definition of 'racist'.

And the Americans, Irish, Welsh and Australians laugh.

Is that why shows such as Loose Women and many comedians still use sexism, racism and many other -isms as the basis of their comedy acts even today?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Reports me for what? Telling a racist joke at work when I never have? Sure, but that's possible about anyone, even you. You keep battering on about people reporting me for this and that, even though I covered that several posts back.

However, calling someone a retard is perfectly fine?

It's just a shame that ginger people, fat people, disabled people, skinny people, ugly people, short people, mentally ill people, etc, don't have a huge lobby of guilt-ridden people fighting to stop *them* being abused, joked about and made to feel inferior.

If the whole point of an -ism is to stop being prejudiced, causing offence and hurt feelings about something other people can't help, then either all of it is acceptable or none of it is.

I didn't give wholesale approval to acceptability. I said it was fine as long as no one was offended. There is a difference.

You don't have the cranial capacity to understand that people don't tell jokes in public about certain stereotypes anymore because there is always some politically correct person like you who is ready to be offended on behalf of the target of the joke.

So they tell them in private instead. It's not because we live in supposedly more enlightened times, it's because we live in a society where - well, just look at the original post that started this thread.

And for people who make a living telling jokes in public - well, they have switched to safer stereotypes. And because you have less people being offended by black-on-white racism, Chris Rock and others can still get away with some of the things he says, even though it does draw a few complaints. Not half as many as you would get if it was white-on-black racism though.

Plenty of comedians make a living telling sexist jokes, and racist jokes even today. You have comedians mocking stereotypes of Americans, Irish, Welsh, Australians, and many more. That still fits the definition of 'racist'.

And the Americans, Irish, Welsh and Australians laugh.

Is that why shows such as Loose Women and many comedians still use sexism, racism and many other -isms as the basis of their comedy acts even today?

Ah, so the crux of your issues is that you want to be able to tell racist jokes about black people at work because to not do so is "political correctness gone mad"

thanks for clearing that up
    :dunce:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ah, so the crux of your issues is that you want to be able to tell racist jokes about black people at work because to not do so is "political correctness gone mad"

thanks for clearing that up
    :dunce:
    If that makes you happy to believe that's what I said, then go right ahead. If you don't have the 'cranial capacity' to get it after over a page of explanations, then it doesn't matter how much more I write I'm not going to change your mind.

Funny how it's just you though.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If that makes you happy to believe that's what I said, then go right ahead. If you don't have the 'cranial capacity' to get it after over a page of explanations, then it doesn't matter how much more I write I'm not going to change your mind.

Funny how it's just you though.
    I just re-iterated what you had posted. If you said something different, please clarify.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why would you snitch bro! You can just go upto them and debate about it? everyone has their own opinions, so I don't get why they were suspended. I'm sorry but they could have got a warning or something........
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    why would they like you? lets be honest you were a petty vindictive bitch to them and got them punished for doing nothing? no one likes a snitch.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    If anything you underreacted, you should have phoned the police immediately and reported them for committing a Hate Crime. Going by recent events the police take this sort of thing pretty seriously. We cannot have people expressing 'offensive' views in our tolerant society, it will not be tolerated! :fuhrer:
    :teehee:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just re-iterated what you had posted. If you said something different, please clarify.
    Frankly I'm tired of having to 'clarify' things for you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hate large swathes of feminism too.

This is not a view that needs punishment or correction. It has no analogy to racism or homophobia either. What a crock op.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.