Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts.

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    So yeah, 'anti-gay' campaigners have been protesting EA's decision to include same-sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic. It's really sad that this 'anti-gay' lobbying is seen as acceptable whilst it would rightly be an uproar if it was, say, a campaign against black characters in the game.

Electronic Arts has received "several thousands" emails and letters protesting same-sex relationships in its games.

In March, the Florida Family Association launched an email campaign against BioWare and Electronic Arts to protest the inclusion of same-sex relationships in Star Wars: The Old Republic. The Family Research Council made similar noises in January, when FRC President Tony Perkins said "the biggest threat to the empire may be homosexual activists" and called on his audience to speak out against them.

It appears that followers of these "family values" groups have heard and obeyed, as Electronic Arts confirmed that it has received "several thousand" letters complaining about the presence of same-sex relationships in games like The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3, and threatening to boycott its games if they're not removed. Not that it really matters, as Vice President of Corporate Communications Jeff Brown said the company has no plans to change or censor anything.

"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content," Brown told GamesIndustry. "This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment."

Brown also dismissed the suggestion that EA was somehow pressured into including LGBT characters in its games, although he acknowledged that a number of forum posts criticizing the company's stance have been deleted for violating its content rules. "We have met with LBGT groups and sponsored industry forums to discuss content and harassment of players in online forums," he added. "In short, we do put options for same-sex relationships in our games; we don't tolerate hate speech on our forums."

Same-sex relationships aren't actually available yet in Star Wars: The Old Republic but BioWare and EA have said the option will be added at some point in the future.
    Source: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...lectronic-Arts
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Family values is the lousiest excuse I've seen for bigotry, most people who pomote this view go silent on issues of divorce, abortion and adultery. Yeah may be I should form a religion with skinheads in Bradford that promotes anti-miscegenation laws. See how well that is received. People talk about the family like we're in the 1950s. In fact, if they truly have a definition of family like in the 1950s they'd actually be against a lot of computer games and the current employment structure.
    • 29 followers

ReputationRep:
    To be fair to EA (God, I'm praising EA? Been a long time since I did that :p:), at least they're saying they're refusing to succumb to the campaigners. But it seems a little bizarre that this is only coming up now with the releases of Bioware's latest two games. Maxis have been including same-sex relationships in EA's biggest-selling series The Sims ever since that was first released twelve years ago. In fact, the success of that is probably all the encouragement EA need to stick the proverbial finger up at these homophobes on this matter.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I found this quote on Twitter the other day via Robin Ince which really sums it up: "When people say "Christian values", I always assume they mean "my values". "The UK should return to my values", etc."
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not against homosexuals but we see enough of gays on the TV and other media forms.

Kids play computer games, let kids grow up without confusing them even more by sticking homosexuals on their games.

By the way I am a parent so this is coming from a parents point of view!!!
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binaryman)
    I'm not against homosexuals but we see enough of gays on the TV and other media forms.

Kids play computer games, let kids grow up without confusing them even more by sticking homosexuals on their games.
    If you're not against homosexuality then why does it bother you? It's not like people are being forced to have same-sex relationships in either real life or video games. Plus, as has been said previously in this thread, same-sex relationships have been included in games for years. The Sims, for example. Plus it really won't confuse kids.

What does being a parent have to do with anything?
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:

This particular game is rated PEGI 16, so maybe people shouldn't be letting their kids play it if they don't want them being exposed to homosexuality.

Maybe parents should take more responsibility for what their children have access to, instead of blaming the media itself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

I'm not against heterosexuals, but we see enough of straight people on the TV and other media forms.

Kids play computer games, let kids grow up without confusing them even more by sticking heterosexuals on their games.

By the way I am a bisexual so this is coming from a bi's point of view!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aleandcynicism)
    If you're not against homosexuality then why does it bother you? It's not like people are being forced to have same-sex relationships in either real life or video games. Plus, as has been said previously in this thread, same-sex relationships have been included in games for years. The Sims, for example. Plus it really won't confuse kids.

What does being a parent have to do with anything?
    Because I wouldn't want my kids getting more confused then they need to be.

Growing up is hard enough without throwing homosexuality in kids faces everytime they watch the TV or even play games now.

You can't go a day now without reading, seeing or hearing something about homosexuality.

Why is that? If people want to be gay then thats fine. But don't push it into the populations face constantly, there is no need for it.

And why is it now if you disagree with anything at all to do with homosexuality you are branded as somekind of nasty person filled with hate? Its like people are too scared to have an opinion for fear as being branded as a nasty person.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry? This is ridiculous beyond anything. They're up in arms about video game characters having same sex relations? Who gives a ****? EA games have done this in other games such as The Sims series. I see no problem with including same sex relations in video games. Even though the bible says homosexuality is wrong it also says that two of every animal can fit on a wooden boat. Go figure.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HJFSS)
    I'm not against heterosexuals, but we see enough of straight people on the TV and other media forms.

Kids play computer games, let kids grow up without confusing them even more by sticking heterosexuals on their games.

By the way I am a bisexual so this is coming from a bi's point of view!!!
    I am not intending to cause offence, I am just giving a reason why some people may not want homosexuality in computer games.

Tell me am I wrong to do that?

By the way I am an athiest so my views have nothing to do with religion.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:

If you think video games are going to confuse them what the hell do you think your kids are going to be like when they actually meet someone who is gay?

To be honest EA are well within their right to do whatever the hell they want with their games. It boils down to freedom of speech. If you don't like seeing gay people in games then vote with your feet and don't buy it. No one is forcing you to play the game or even have any knowledge of it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)
    If you think video games are going to confuse them what the hell do you think your kids are going to be like when they actually meet someone who is gay?

To be honest EA are well within their right to do whatever the hell they want with their games. It boils down to freedom of speech. If you don't like seeing gay people in games then vote with your feet and don't buy it. No one is forcing you to play the game or even have any knowledge of it.
    Your point is valid.

However, I am not just refering to computer games.

It seems like homosexuality is pushed into the masses faces constantly when homosexuality is infact a minority.

Whats next?

Homosexuality on kids cartoons?
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aj12)

Despite Aj's occasional stupidity...he does have a point.
    If you don't like it then don't buy it.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Your point is valid.

However, I am not just refering to computer games.

It seems like homosexuality is pushed into the masses faces constantly when homosexuality is infact a minority.

Whats next?

Homosexuality on kids cartoons?
    Yes it is a minority however compare how many homosexual relationships you see in the media to heterosexual relationships. Its still a minority.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    What the hell. It's a game ffs...

Also, add Skyrim to the list of games with gays.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:

There will never be as many gay characters in video games as heterosexual ones, but casual introduction of gay characters into children's lives isn't going to turn them gay. If you think your kids would be confused try "some men love men and some women love women, it's just love the same as when a man and a woman love each other". If more parents told kids things like that maybe there would be less prejudice and bullying.

By the way, I am queer so this is coming from the point of view of a kid who's parents said that homosexuality was a sin, didn't expose me to any gay characters and who was put in hospital when they came out at school.

In my mind equality will never exist until being gay is casual in everything, video games, films, books, tv and advertising. (I don't support having "couples" either heterosexual or homosexual in games for young kids, they have enough time to think about being heartbroken after they hit puberty)
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    "Homosexuality being pushed into the faces of people" No.

Why do some people interpret the inclusion of homosexuality in everyday life as "pushing it into their faces". That's about as bad as the superchristian bigots. You're essentially saying "I accept that homosexuality exists, but it's so repugnant that I don't want to be reminded about it."

It's a 16+ game. If your children do not know what homosexuality is to the extent that exposure to it in a video game will give them mental scarring, you're a **** parent.

Moreover, it's a bloody Star Wars game. STAR WARS. Why should STAR WARS be protecting family ****ing values? It's about killing aliens and fighting robots and ****, since when did these games have a moral compass?
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blueray)
    Despite Aj's occasional stupidity...he does have a point.
    If you don't like it then don't buy it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PierceBrosnan)
    How would you feel about Atheists being pushed into computer games, the masses, kids cartoons etc...?
    I can see that i'm gonna have to agree to disagree here.

I've been brought up with a mammy and a daddy, not a daddy and a daddy.

And I believe that is normality.

Not that I am against gays or want any offence caused to them. Just that I believe that millions of years of human evolution produced a man and a woman needed to reproduce hence that is normality.

Man + Woman.

If you are gay then that is your own choice.

But I also have a choice and that is that I'd prefer not to have homosexuality in computer games especially the games that kids play.

Listen if I seen a gay person being verbally abused in the street or generally being picked on then I would go over and defend them. However, I would not want my kids playing games with homosexuality on or being introduced to that.

Possibly hard to understand but it is what it is!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.