Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imperial maniac)
    Sexual content should not be included in video games which children are going to play. If you let your children play games with sexual content then that is your provocative.

There is absolutely no harm in adults having to option to play a homosexual character in a video game.
    Why is it necessary to have an option regarding playing as a homosexual character? There are many games in which the player is forced to play as a heterosexual character, so unless you were to insist that sexuality of the character played is always chosen (which is, frankly, ridiculous), then that would be discriminatory towards homosexuals. Besides, I don't get some of the fuss some people on this thread have made about not being able to opt out of playing a homosexual character; it is a positive thing about video games that they often (like all forms of escapism) force the player to view the world from the perspectives of people from different walks of life. Playing a homosexual character is not an attack on the player's identity or sexuality, it's just offering a different perspective.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binaryman)
    Yes if it is not appropriate for the age viewing. Common sense would prevail here.

I would be opposed to homosexuality on kids games/tv because it gives the impression to a child that it is normal for a man to love a man or woman to love a woman when in my personal opinion it is not normal.

Listen if i don't class homosexual behaviour as normal human behaviour then whats the big problem with that?

It just proves my point that you cannont publicly disagree with homosexuality now without being made to feel that you are someking of bigotted speader of hate.....
    You claim to be victimised and targeted as a bigot when really your responses have been nothing but unsubstantiated ignorance and bigotry. Do you really not see that you calling homosexuality abnormal is offensive, whether you like it or not? And homosexuality IS normal. Your pathetic moralising has prevented any sort of intelligent discussion and debate in this thread.

Moreover, as Dalimyr pointed out, you've been asked repeatedly to provide substance to your claims that homosexuality is abnormal and confuses children and you've continually turned a blind eye. You're either trolling or you're a simple little person with an ignorant comfort zone who lacks the personal integrity to see things from outside it, critically evaluate your own opinions as well as those of others and change or argue accordingly. This is shown by the fact you've left this thread. Have a nice life in your bubble.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Family values is the lousiest excuse I've seen for bigotry, most people who pomote this view go silent on issues of divorce, abortion and adultery. Yeah may be I should form a religion with skinheads in Bradford that promotes anti-miscegenation laws. See how well that is received. People talk about the family like we're in the 1950s. In fact, if they truly have a definition of family like in the 1950s they'd actually be against a lot of computer games and the current employment structure.
    :congrats:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hazletts)
    Why is it necessary to have an option regarding playing as a homosexual character? There are many games in which the player is forced to play as a heterosexual character, so unless you were to insist that sexuality of the character played is always chosen (which is, frankly, ridiculous), then that would be discriminatory towards homosexuals. Besides, I don't get some of the fuss some people on this thread have made about not being able to opt out of playing a homosexual character; it is a positive thing about video games that they often (like all forms of escapism) force the player to view the world from the perspectives of people from different walks of life. Playing a homosexual character is not an attack on the player's identity or sexuality, it's just offering a different perspective.
    You raise a good point. However I don't think that a game forcing the player to play as a homosexual character would sell very well, simply because it would appeal to more to a minority group.

I don't think any game should force the play to view any graphic sexual content/themes if the player doesn't want them to. A game which forces this on the player is restricting it's target audience, and will therefore sell less.

Personally though I play 90% of my games such as dragon age, mass effect etc as a heterosexual, although the option to play as a homosexual occasionally is a good laugh.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you don't like gays, don't be gay. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get married to a man, if you don't like Homosexuals in a game, don't play that game. Now was that so hard? bigots
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4TSR)
    If you don't like gays, don't be gay. If you don't like gay marriage, don't get married to a man, if you don't like Homosexuals in a game, don't play that game. Now was that so hard? bigots
    Or even, horror of horrors, don't pursue the gay relationship paths in game.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think its one of those things whereby if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it.

Its not exactly a big billboard in your face, just a reference in a select few video games. If parents are claiming its corrupting their youth, they need to remember its their responsibility to filter the media their child receives (who is buying the games?). After all the games do carry ratings to help them do this.

I'm not clued up on recent games but from what I understand in Fable/Mass Effect etc, it is a free "choice", you aren't pressured into choosing the gay option! If anything you'd think fundamentalists would appreciate that in a game, having it so easy to switch at the touch of a button!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Teaching the kids of today that discrimination is ok.

Soon we're going to have kids posting comments on YouTube videos and Twitters that have a black man or women in going "LOL [n-word but spelt with an A at the end so it's ok apparently]", "get back in the kitchen", "[n-word] I SAID [n-word] LOOK AT ME I'M EDGY" and "LOL he should go to back to Africa".

Wait, they already do.

13 year old chav parents should really know better.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 12, 2012
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.