The Student Room Group
It's not clear what you mean from your question. Also, try posting in general uni discussion- you'll get a better response there. :smile:
Thanks, I know its not clear from the question as i'm not sure what it means myself. It's just what I have to answer as part of a comprehension type task but the answer isn't obvious from the text. Thats the exact question 'Will you have to pay all your tuition fees if you go to university?' :confused:
Is there any way this can be moved to general uni discussion?
Reply 4
I don't know about the new system. At the moment, it's means tested. Therefore, if your parents earn under a certain amount, approx £30,000 I think it is, then it's on a sliding scale as to how much you have to pay. So some people don't pay any, some pay different percentages of the full amount and others pay the full amount. Personally, I pay my own tuition fees at £400 a term.
The fees need to be payed...the maximum they can charge is £3000 a year (in England, anyways). You can get a loan that will pay your fees as soon as you start, and this gets paid back AFTER GRADUATION and once you are employed earning at least £15,000, so there's no need to worry about paying anything back until after graduation. There are also loans to help with maintenance costs, which also need to be paid back after graduation. But I wouldn't worry about having to pay it back... it's only a small amount each week, and anything that hasn't been paid off after 25 years will be paid off by the governement.

Also check on the Student Finance Direct website to see if you're eligible for extra assistance that doesn't need to be payed back.
Starting from this September every student will have tuition fees of up to around £3000 for each year they study

They will not have to pay these tuition fees until after they leave university and start to earn more £15,000 a year.

There is also a new means tested grant/award of some sort which is based on parental income. This is provided by the Government and doesn't have to be paid back. It is awarded on a sliding scale up to a maximum of £2700 a year. Universities will also be offering new bursaries to students (if the university chooses to charge any more than £2700 in fees). Those eligible for the maximum £2700 grant will get at least £300 a year bursary from the university. This essentially means that those students will not have to pay tuition fees....only they get more money while at university and pay it back after they finish.

Latest

Trending

Trending