The Student Room Group

M4 (1st June 2012, Fri AM)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Az_016
In chapter 4, Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion? The same goes for all the examples.

Thanks

I have the old book so you'll have to show me an example of what you mean :smile:
Reply 21
people ready :biggrin:?

this thread has died this past few months!
Reply 22
Original post by Rahul.S
people ready :biggrin:?

this thread has died this past few months!

D2 is on the 31st. Just need to finish learning that first then my M4 revision can start on the afternoon of 31st May :biggrin:
Reply 23
Original post by Zhy
D2 is on the 31st. Just need to finish learning that first then my M4 revision can start on the afternoon of 31st May :biggrin:

d2 is a dead module. :yawn:

dont get distracted by the girl sitting in front if you on thrusday....zhy can't be caught slacking :sexface:
Reply 24
Original post by Rahul.S
d2 is a dead module. :yawn:

dont get distracted by the girl sitting in front if you on thrusday....zhy can't be caught slacking :sexface:

Yes but I need it for my sociology degree.

I don't like her anymore, she's a bitch. She has pretty feet though. If I have time at the end of the exam I'll have a good stare :redface:
Reply 25
Original post by Zhy
Yes but I need it for my sociology degree.

I don't like her anymore, she's a bitch. She has pretty feet though. If I have time at the end of the exam I'll have a good stare :redface:

you havent done your sociology degree yet! :eek:

I did that in y10 like a bawwss gausss :tongue:
Reply 26
Glad I'm not the only one who hates chapter 1

How hard/quick to finish is M5 compared to M4? I haven't started it yet :colondollar:
Reply 27
Original post by scherzi
Glad I'm not the only one who hates chapter 1

How hard/quick to finish is M5 compared to M4? I haven't started it yet :colondollar:

m5 is harder :tongue:

ive got relative motion on lock now :colone: its definately the hardest chapter in m4 i reckon
Reply 28
Original post by Rahul.S

ive got relative motion on lock now :colone: its definately the hardest chapter in m4 i reckon

do you really think m5 is harder?? i think that they can make the questions for m4 much harder than for m5...

and i find oblique impact the hardest, always forget my -ve directions :angry:
Reply 29
Original post by kurovalte
do you really think m5 is harder?? i think that they can make the questions for m4 much harder than for m5...

and i find oblique impact the hardest, always forget my -ve directions :angry:

tbh havent completely done m5 but everyone says its harder....maybe your right. oblique collisions are generally nice....the +/- thing is minor :tongue:
Reply 30
Original post by Rahul.S

Went through some questions this afternoon and ch1 seems alright now. Still haven't gone through collisions (is this just piss easy resolving or am I missing something) and stability. Kinda wondering why I entered for these modules :colone: do any of you guys need a score in this?
Reply 31
I'm not expecting to get above 90 in this without luck on my side to be honest. I'll get the A* for AFM by whoring out the stats modules :biggrin:
Reply 32
Original post by scherzi
Went through some questions this afternoon and ch1 seems alright now. Still haven't gone through collisions (is this just piss easy resolving or am I missing something) and stability. Kinda wondering why I entered for these modules :colone: do any of you guys need a score in this?

haha, collisions pretty much is that :tongue: i have no idea why i'm doing them either tbh...
Reply 33
Original post by scherzi

I kind of do....for my insurance duo :tongue:
Reply 34
Original post by Az_016
The new one. Could u please explain why the air resistance is in the same direction as the tension? Shouldn't it be acting down, in the direction of the particle's weight seen as air resistance opposes motion? The same goes for all the examples.

Thanks

always the air resistance acts opposite to the direction where we mesure X,in exmple 2 the X is mesured downwards,so that air resistance will be upwards.
Reply 35
having m4 before m3 is sick,i cnt rmber anythin in m3 nw,im revising m4 env today(day before the exams :P)
Reply 36
i'm really stuck on Q4 of June 2007. The question is:
Ship A is 20km from ship B on a bearing of 300. Ship A is moving at a constant speed 15kmh-1 on a bearing of 070. Ship B moves in a straight line with constant speed Vkmh-1 and intercepts A. Find, giving your answer to 3sf, the minimum possible for V.

Ive looked at the mark scheme, and dont understand why V has to be perpendicular to the velocity of B relative to A for V's minimum. I thought it should be perpendicular to the velocity of A (15)...?
I've attached the question paper and mark scheme! Please help!! thanks
Reply 37
I did this question like an hour ago :P, and for V to be minimum or for one body to pass as close as possible to another. The body who's velocity/ path isn't fixed must be perpendicular to the relative speed of it to the fixed one i.e Vb Perpendicular to bVa. Which is basically what you said above but this bit: "it should be perpendicular to the velocity of A" is wrong.
Reply 38
ooooh i understand now! thankyou :smile:
Can someone help me with June 2009 Q5 c)
In the mark scheme they just dot the vector velocity and the line of centers dived by sqrt(2), where do they get the 1/sqrt(2) bit from?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending