The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Lol, i'm actually watching the live show he is doing nowmthough he hasn't come in the room yet
Original post by lil-mazie
Lol, i'm actually watching the live show he is doing nowmthough he hasn't come in the room yet

Haha, so am I
hi everyone!

Normally for aqa geography they have model answers on the aqa site, do they have this for english??? I really need this! a link?

Also what is the best way to revise for this? as there are only 3 past papers?

thank you
Good luck all!! - My suggestion is that you read Short Stories so that we can learn techniques on how to answer the 'Write a short story about an experience that changed your life' questions correctly

Can you send me any links to any short stories? :smile:
hi everyone!

Normally for aqa geography they have model answers on the aqa site, do they have this for english??? I really need this! a link?

thank you
Reply 85
Original post by GCSEgirl13
hi everyone!

thank you

I looked and I couldn't find any :frown:

I'm sure there are some somewhere on the internet though...
Guys do you need to paragraph for Question 1, 2, 3 and 4? x
Original post by tomaird
I looked and I couldn't find any :frown:

I'm sure there are some somewhere on the internet though...

trying to find it :frown:

I really need an example of what students have written in past papers.
If anyone has found this please let me know!
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Guys do you need to paragraph for Question 1, 2, 3 and 4? x

I wouldn't worry about too much, maybe for the longer question on comparing texts. Paragraphs are more essential in the creative writing section, thats where you'll get marked for using it.
Reply 89
http://www.youtube.com/user/WCSEnglish this channel is VERY USEFUL
Also, for Questions 1 - 3, do you need to incorporate Text Type, Audience and Purpose into your answers? I feel as though it is unnecessary and detracts focus from the actual question?
Reply 91
For question 2, if the question ask's for the heading and picture effects, how many paragraphs do you do? and how detailed are they supposed to be?

Also, for question 3, if you cannot identify 4 linguistic devices are you supposed to write in a lot of details?

I'd be very grateful if someone could answer my questions, I'm literally stressing out.
Original post by natnalie
For question 2, if the question ask's for the heading and picture effects, how many paragraphs do you do? and how detailed are they supposed to be?

Also, for question 3, if you cannot identify 4 linguistic devices are you supposed to write in a lot of details?

I'd be very grateful if someone could answer my questions, I'm literally stressing out.

For question 2 you need about 4 points, they don't have to be very long, but it needs to be detailed and analysed. And make sure you comment on everything that the question asks i.e. the headline, picture, sub-headline

For question 3 again you need 4 points in a bit of detail, but if you cant find 4, do 3 in a bit more detail. But you should be able to find 4 as it is usually aobut thoughts and feelings.

Try to, when picking out points, take the points from across the text, and not just the start or just the end, as it will show you understand the text.

I hope that helps you! Be calm and don't stress! You will be fine as long as you are focused. Good Luck! :smile:
Does anyone have any example answers to section B: writing?

omg this exam is tomorrow and i have done nothing. Even though i got a B in the mock with 0 revision i hope i get an A star if i revise now
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Also, for Questions 1 - 3, do you need to incorporate Text Type, Audience and Purpose into your answers? I feel as though it is unnecessary and detracts focus from the actual question?

From what I've learnt/seen you can mention them briefly, i.e. "this technique is used to create humour, perhaps due to the text's purpose to entertain" or something, but you don't need to go into detail - it's more important to answer the question! :smile:

Thanks for all the tips and videos/links everyone, good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 95
i am sitting the exam tomorrow, and you don't really need to revise fully, just need to know your structure and how you are going plan, if you don't have extra time then you should do a point a minute - 8 marks 8 points etc. also for writing, don't play it safe, be inventive with what you write, be funny it will get you that A star, good luck (:
Reply 96
Question 1.

Hi guys. I'm wondering if any of you could possibly give me feedback on my question one answer as I'm a little unsure as to what's expected lengthwise and detail wise.
Thanks in advance and good luck to all sitting the exam!

Q: What do you learn from the article about the issue of rainfall and flooding in Britain? (8 marks)

The article informs the reader of the water related issues that are occurring in England. The author states that whilst the north and west of the country have a healthy rainfall supply - "often more than they want" - the south east of the country receives very little, "even less than some parts of the Mediterranean". The author highlights the fact that this problem is exemplified as the area with the least rainfall has the "largest population"; meaning that a little water has to be split among a lot of people.

The article discusses the implications future developments will have on the water crisis, telling the reader that "things are only going to get worse" because more houses are being constructed in the south stretching the regions already thin water supplies even further.

The article also tells the reader that global warming is expected to increase the "damp divide" as rainfall in the South dwindles to an even lower level sharply contrasting to the drastic "70%" increase in rainfall set to take place in the North of the country creating an even greater disparity between water levels in the North and South.
(edited 11 years ago)
If the exam is tomorrow and i havent revised and want an A is it still possible? Whats the best thing to do? Im just going over the past papers and learning the structure to write answers in!
i am sitting the exam tomorrow, and you don't really need to revise fully, just need to know your structure and how you are going plan, if you don't have extra time then you should do a point a minute - 8 marks 8 points etc. also for writing, don't play it safe, be inventive with what you write, be funny it will get you that A star, good luck (:

What do you mean by inventive?

And also how would you be inventive with a structure?
Original post by science-oliver
What do you mean by inventive?

And also how would you be inventive with a structure?

Be creative and keep it in the realms of believability.

Quick Reply