Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Songs you listened to before they became mainstream.

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:

Now everyone knows about Doctor P
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liyah)
    It's annoying when people think this actually matters
    But it does matter...

Stupid mainstream ruining my fun
    • 40 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liyah)
    It's annoying when people think this actually matters
    This, stopped caring about it years ago. All it proves is that you were right, it's a great song, so feel good that you probably have good taste in music and move on.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Katy Perry songs
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    Lana del rey 'blue jeans', started listening to that back in Nov 2011 and now it's everywhere but it's good she's incredibly talented! (And finally some real music rather than all the pop rubbish recycled by the likes of Rihanna and Nicki Minaj).
    The melodies are strong (they were made by her multiple and talented producers) and her voice is interesting and wonderful but the album is a mantra to money, success and all things shallow. The lyrics reflect that. It's like listening to The Only Way Is Essex. It sounds great at times but is essentially shallow and meaningless, filled with the normal pop clichés that you get all the time: "I will love you to the end of time", "Money is the reason we exist" etc. All of the scenarios (with the possible exception of video games) are so cliché and generic that it makes the album impersonal so she never build up any kind of personality, other than a shallow, guy obsessed, money obsessed rich girl.

It's fine that people like it, it's just that people are heralding her as something 'real' and completely 'new' when in fact she's just got an interesting voice and some producers paid for by her super rich daddy that saved the day.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    I can't really lay claim to anything, there are few people that share interest in a fair few of the bands I listen to (on the metal side of things, anyway).

That being said, I did get both my dad and my best mate into Social D a while back...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by truthandtragedy)
    Somebody That I Used To Know was included in a mixtape I downloaded in early 2011, but I'm glad that more people have heard it now! I hate people who "claim" songs and go mad if someone likes it after they did, popularity and exposure is a good thing!
    I agree, don't understand why people do this...surely you'd like to share the love for a song with another person?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by senator88)
    I agree, don't understand why people do this...surely you'd like to share the love for a song with another person?
    I think what people get annoyed about is when they show their friends a song and their like "what the hell, turn this off, I don't like it" and then a few months later radio 1 plugs it and it gets into the charts and they say "hey listen to this new song I found" :facepalm:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice Marmite)
    I think what people get annoyed about is when they show their friends a song and their like "what the hell, turn this off, I don't like it" and then a few months later radio 1 plugs it and it gets into the charts and they say "hey listen to this new song I found" :facepalm:
    Ah yes when you put it like that it is rather annoying
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice Marmite)
    The melodies are strong (they were made by her multiple and talented producers) and her voice is interesting and wonderful but the album is a mantra to money, success and all things shallow. The lyrics reflect that. It's like listening to The Only Way Is Essex. It sounds great at times but is essentially shallow and meaningless, filled with the normal pop clichés that you get all the time: "I will love you to the end of time", "Money is the reason we exist" etc. All of the scenarios (with the possible exception of video games) are so cliché and generic that it makes the album impersonal so she never build up any kind of personality, other than a shallow, guy obsessed, money obsessed rich girl.

It's fine that people like it, it's just that people are heralding her as something 'real' and completely 'new' when in fact she's just got an interesting voice and some producers paid for by her super rich daddy that saved the day.
    couldn't have said it better myself.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Ed Sheeran - I listened to that No 5 Collaborations Project with loads of Grime MC's on it about a year before he became famous because I liked that I also heard The A Team, You Need Me I Don't Need You , The City and a few more about a year before aswell on YouTube.

Labrinth - He's friends/was friends with my cousin a few years before he got famous with Pass Out by Tinie Tempah I met him when I visited my cousin and he told me he was a music producer so I check him out online and started listening to stuff he had produced.

Drake - I heard his mix tape long before he became famous

Nicki Minaj - I heard her music long before she became famous

Emeli Sande - I looked her up when I heard her on that Chipmunk song 2 or 3 years agi

Dubstep in general I have been listening to the famous artists for years before they became famous

I have loads of people on my iPod that are certian to hit the British mainstream within a few years including Josh Osho, Bluey Robinson, Big Sean, J. Cole*, Kendrick Lamar, Pusha T, Jamie Woon, The Knux, Rusko, SchoolBoy Q, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Sway, Dot Rotten, Jakwob, Elle Varner, Janelle Monae*

*for artists that are quite big in the USA but not the UK
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Been listening to the likes of Avicii and Swedish House Mafia since 2009. They have huge back catalogues that a lot of people don't know about.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMG TOOTHBRUSH)
    Baby by Justin Bieber
    Piss off.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Piss off.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calm_down_bro.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	38.6 KB 
ID:	140628
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You wont have heard of it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    I have loads of people on my iPod that are certian to hit the British mainstream within a few years including Josh Osho, Bluey Robinson, Big Sean, J. Cole*, Kendrick Lamar, Pusha T, Jamie Woon, The Knux, Rusko, SchoolBoy Q, The Weeknd, Frank Ocean, Sway, Dot Rotten, Jakwob, Elle Varner, Janelle Monae*

*for artists that are quite big in the USA but not the UK
    J.Cole is pretty big in the UK... well certainly in my area
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    where me keys, where me phone by 'Zippy'
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ai Se Eu Te Pego before Michel Telo covered it.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)

If you've never heard this dropped in a club you've lived a sheltered life
    Nope, never heard it. Though to be fair, if that song ever came on in the club, I'd be sure to be on the move.

(Original post by NuckingFut)
    "Yellow Submarine" by the Beetles.

I heard this wayyy before it became mainstream!

:cool:<--[Cool hipster glasses]
    How old are you?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I knew about Ed Sheeran, LMFAO(although I didn't like them before) and Lewis Watson(If you haven't heard of him already, you probably will soon).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.