Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Songs you listened to before they became mainstream.

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jizz in my pants - I watched it when it was below 3000 views. As soon as I tell my friend all of the s.west of England had seen it in a week. Also owl city, meh. So many other bands, but what can I do.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nice Marmite)
    The melodies are strong (they were made by her multiple and talented producers) and her voice is interesting and wonderful but the album is a mantra to money, success and all things shallow. The lyrics reflect that. It's like listening to The Only Way Is Essex. It sounds great at times but is essentially shallow and meaningless, filled with the normal pop clichés that you get all the time: "I will love you to the end of time", "Money is the reason we exist" etc. All of the scenarios (with the possible exception of video games) are so cliché and generic that it makes the album impersonal so she never build up any kind of personality, other than a shallow, guy obsessed, money obsessed rich girl.

It's fine that people like it, it's just that people are heralding her as something 'real' and completely 'new' when in fact she's just got an interesting voice and some producers paid for by her super rich daddy that saved the day.
    SOMEBODY AGREES WITH ME!!! :five:

my fists are genuinely in the air in triumph. Finally! It's all very ironic. Because the songs sound great, and she can sing, so people act like she's a hero. Actually, lyrically, it's weak. When you watch the music videos, it's just meaningless, it's obnoxious, it's so 'look at me, look at me making out with this guy, look at how beautiful I am, look how sad I am...' :blah:

And the label just takes advantage of the people who look down on the other mainstream artists, thinking they are buying into something that is the best thing ever, when actually, it also has no substance.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kruz)
    Piss off.
    it was clearly a joke, chill my friend
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    Taylor Swift. I got into her via youtube when only her first album was released and only in the USA; spent years telling my friends to look her up and be ignored. Now look where we are! Somewhat irritating- she used to seem sort of 'my' special secret and got me through some tough times.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not listening to good music anymore because it became mainstream is so stupid.

Stop trying to be such a bloody hipster. If you like the music, then enjoy it and stop being so worried what other people think.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pride)
    SOMEBODY AGREES WITH ME!!! :five:
    [spoiler[/spoiler]
    my fists are genuinely in the air in triumph. Finally! It's all very ironic. Because the songs sound great, and she can sing, so people act like she's a hero. Actually, lyrically, it's weak. When you watch the music videos, it's just meaningless, it's obnoxious, it's so 'look at me, look at me making out with this guy, look at how beautiful I am, look how sad I am...' :blah:

And the label just takes advantage of the people who look down on the other mainstream artists, thinking they are buying into something that is the best thing ever, when actually, it also has no substance.
    This is exactly what I was getting at. The following she has suggests that she's new (or "fresh to death" as she would put it) when actually it's the same record labels playing the same game over and over again.

But that's the weirdest thing about the album. At least 50% of it sounds great. It's a really good sounding pop album but when people herald it for being any more than that it's just silly. It's as vapid as the next album and having a good beat or a nice melody or an interesting voice doesn't suddenly transform clichés into philosophy.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remember I heard I Kissed A Girl by Katy Perry ages before it got really popular, but no one believed me Back in the good old days of Myspace.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I remembered that when I was about 13 I was listening to Taylor Swift when she was just beginning to be known in America so I was one of the few people at my school who knew who she was. But then when she released Love Story she obviously became really popular over in the UK and became overplayed which annoys me because her music is actually good when not played too much. Now I don't have any of her songs on my ipod and listened to her for the first time a few days ago (but not Love Story)

I don't know if you'd consider Boyce Avenue to be mainstream or not, but i've been a fan of them for about 2/3 years now and people are starting to know them because they toured with One Direction and they've been featured on Radio 1 a few times. But i'm happy for them, they really do deserve all the recognition.

This is actually really interesting reading what you guys listened to before it became mainstream
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Urrr, just about every song I've ever heard.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 10, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.