Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Australia + volunteer work/teaching...?

Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness is down to only 8 films! Help decide on the final 4 now! 15-07-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so i'm thinking of maybe applying for a working visa in the summer to do some voluntary school work. I've recently done some in a school and have enough experience to go into a school, and I could happily provide numerous references and all that. I'm just wondering if someone could give me some advice on the following issues;

1. When is the school term in Australia? I was thinking of going around New South Wales but the whole country is an option!

2. It would be absolutely 100% voluntary work (although i'd be up for some extra paid work in either teaching or something like fruit picking). Would there be any issue in getting a work visa or any other sort of visa for this type of stay? I was thinking 2-4 weeks in the country.

3. I would be contacting schools directly. Would this be something they'd be interested in?

4. What checks would they need to carry out? I have done a CRB check but not sure how it differs in Aus...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    but summer is when the schools are on holiday
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    my aussie friend advised me that they are on break around June
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    First hit on google for Australian school holidays here. It depends on the state, but by the looks for it the 'main' school holiday period (equivalent to the UK's 6 week break over our summer) is from mid-December to the end of January. Then they have a few weeks in April (around Easter), another short break in June and then the last one at the end of September.

My only other advice would be to definitely go for longer than two weeks, if you can (money-wise). Seems a shame to travel so far (and pay so much for a flight!) and volunteer for most of the time, without seeing some sights. You can get a year long Working Holiday Visa direct from the Australian gov website (apply online) but it seems a bit of a waste just to use it for such a short amount of time.
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stevo112)
    Hey guys, so i'm thinking of maybe applying for a working visa in the summer to do some voluntary school work. I've recently done some in a school and have enough experience to go into a school, and I could happily provide numerous references and all that. I'm just wondering if someone could give me some advice on the following issues;

1. When is the school term in Australia? I was thinking of going around New South Wales but the whole country is an option!

2. It would be absolutely 100% voluntary work (although i'd be up for some extra paid work in either teaching or something like fruit picking). Would there be any issue in getting a work visa or any other sort of visa for this type of stay? I was thinking 2-4 weeks in the country.

3. I would be contacting schools directly. Would this be something they'd be interested in?

4. What checks would they need to carry out? I have done a CRB check but not sure how it differs in Aus...
    1. The academic year runs from January - December.

2. It's really not worth only going for 2-4 weeks - you'll spend the first week or two orientating yourself and getting all your paperwork sorted, and then you have to start looking for jobs. By the time you've found a placement, and any criminal record checks have been completed (and they'll probably take an age because they'll want to check both your UK and Australian criminal records), it'll be more than time to come home again. Within teaching, I remember seeing adverts for paid supply teachers in the paper - but I think they all wanted people to have a PGCE / similar.

3. Try seek.com.au, although contacting them directly could also work.

I've written a FAQ on working in Australia - it's a sticky on the gap year forum, and it will be of some use to you if you read it.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    Look into being a gap student at a boarding school. They often come here for the same reason.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Student crowdfunds degree

Graduate raises £26,000 online for Masters course

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.