The Student Room Group

AS AQA Geography Unit 1 and 2 May 2012

Hey everyone,

I'm taking AS AQA Geog Unit 1 and Unit 1 in May 2012 and I couldn't find a revision/exam thread on this sub-forum so thought I'd make one so we can discuss the specification, revision, past papers etc...

So how is everyone's revision going?

:biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Revision is going Ok I'd say.
It's a lot of work to do though, especially since Rivers and Cold Environments are very long.
Reply 2
What do we need to know for Population? :frown: I don't really know what to revise
Reply 3
Original post by oconnell95
What do we need to know for Population? :frown: I don't really know what to revise

birth rate, death rate etc
pop change- DTM
DTM- countries at different stages
ageing populations
social, economic + political implications of pop change - malthus/boserup/lomborg
population policies- case studies (like china's one child policy)
pop change and migration affecting urban and rural areas
settlement case studies- census data for these
census data- advantages/disadvantages/uses

this is the list my geography teacher gave me anyway, and she said that one page about each point would be a good enough amount for revision. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by herothing11
It's a lot of work to do though, especially since Rivers and Cold Environments are very long.

how are you finding revising all of the landforms for cold environments? i have no problem with the rivers landforms, but there are loads for cold environments :s
Reply 5
Original post by Hannah95MS
birth rate, death rate etc
pop change- DTM
DTM- countries at different stages
ageing populations
social, economic + political implications of pop change - malthus/boserup/lomborg
population policies- case studies (like china's one child policy)
pop change and migration affecting urban and rural areas
settlement case studies- census data for these
census data- advantages/disadvantages/uses

this is the list my geography teacher gave me anyway, and she said that one page about each point would be a good enough amount for revision. hope this helps :smile:

Thank you very much :biggrin: it's 6 weeks on Thursday till our exam, is that enough time? I'm doing Rivers, Cold Environments, Population and Energy Issues
Reply 6
Oh and I swear we need to know about Population structures?
Reply 7
Original post by oconnell95
Oh and I swear we need to know about Population structures?

my usually very organised geog teacher left that off the list :O but yeah we need that as well. erm, there is a lot to learn, for cold environments and rivers especially. i don't do energy issues so i'm not sure, but i'm sure you will have time, just start now though haha :smile: cold environments there is a lot so i would start with that one haha. good luck :biggrin:
Reply 8
my usually very organised geog teacher left that off the list :O but yeah we need that as well. erm, there is a lot to learn, for cold environments and rivers especially. i don't do energy issues so i'm not sure, but i'm sure you will have time, just start now though haha :smile: cold environments there is a lot so i would start with that one haha. good luck :biggrin:

And we need to learn Advantages and Disadvantages of DTM as well. Yeah geography is effort, glad im dropping it next year :smile: Yeah start tomorrow, just finish off these population notes :smile: Thanks very much :biggrin: good luck to you too
how are you finding revising all of the landforms for cold environments? i have no problem with the rivers landforms, but there are loads for cold environments :s

Yeah. Rivers I'm finding OK so far, probably because I've done rivers as a topic every year in geography since year 7 :tongue:

I think Cold Environments is very new to me, so I'm struggling with the huge numbers of new definitions and concepts.
I think with time and practice the Cold Environments will become slightly easier though.
Reply 10

I love rivers - finished all my revision cards for that now :biggrin:

Luckily I'm doing coasts which I did in year 11 - and there is like no new knowledge to learn :P
Original post by Natalie21
I love rivers - finished all my revision cards for that now :biggrin:

Luckily I'm doing coasts which I did in year 11 - and there is like no new knowledge to learn :P

I quite like Rivers too
If you like Rivers I would have thought Cold Environments would have been quite fun for you too since, somehow, they are very different but very similar at the same time.
What does Coasts involve?
Reply 12
I quite like Rivers too
If you like Rivers I would have thought Cold Environments would have been quite fun for you too since, somehow, they are very different but very similar at the same time.
What does Coasts involve?

I would have loved to have done cold environments - but it does look like a lot of new stuff to learn :/

Coasts is pretty basic = waves, tides, erosion, transportation, mass movement, weathering, then coastal landforms (spits, bars, beaches, bays, headlands, caves, stacks, stumps, cliffs, wave cut platforms, sand dunes, salt marshes), then a coastal erosion case study, sea level change, coastal flooding case study, coastal management case study.

Lots of case studies but all the landforms are easyy!
Reply 13
just been revising human geography, and finding it really difficult anyway :frown:
can anyone tell me if we need to know about intra-eu migration, like from poland to the uk? or is it just rural-urban stuff? :confused:
thanks!
Original post by SamYOLOxo
just been revising human geography, and finding it really difficult anyway :frown:
can anyone tell me if we need to know about intra-eu migration, like from poland to the uk? or is it just rural-urban stuff? :confused:
thanks!

We learned about it in class, however I don't think they're absolutely necessary. I do think it'll be useful to learn them though, you can walk into the exam loaded with as many Case Studies you like and the more the better.
Reply 15
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like? For like the last 3 exams I dont think you needed more than like 80ish for Full UMS ??? even though the paper is out of 120!
I've got my mock tomorrow and i'm ****ting it, our teacher is dreadful.
Do any of you guys have/know the questions of the January 2012 paper? thanks
TBH i don't think i've done a shred of revision for either exam yet, BUT i start tomorrow when imma get a textbook that actually has information on the physicals stuffs in it.
Hey, has anyone been taught case studies for landforms in the river? Like features from rejuvenation, waterfalls, etc...and do we need them?
Reply 19
Original post by MedicalMayhem
Hey, has anyone been taught case studies for landforms in the river? Like features from rejuvenation, waterfalls, etc...and do we need them?

no you don't need to know them

Quick Reply

Latest