The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

What did you guys get for the Genus question?
Reply 4421
True artwork :rolleyes:

Spread the word :biggrin:

Hurrah for OCR.

Lol
Original post by sunflower77
in the CGP textbook it calls it interspecific variation (variation between species) and intraspecific variation (variation within a species)
surely it has something to do with the question? :confused:

when it comes to a levels, CGP or whatever is ALWAYSSSS bad!! it always has an extremely condensed answer or just one thats under ignore in the mark scheme!
learn from the ocr textbook to save hassle..
unless its biodiversity, cuz uno its biodiversity ^^
Reply 4423
Original post by suncake
Washing powders - genius. I ended up writing my default answer of "for medicinal purposes" because I was completely stuck. :colondollar:

I said that too actually, I was thinking AS chemistry thank you very much!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4424
Original post by Personification
I put J. There seems to be a range of different answers though with L being more prevalent. :confused:

I guess I can take comfort in the fact I wasn't the only one who put J...lol.
Reply 4425
Original post by Flyteryder
Yeah, I put random and sample. Did you get Simpson's Diversity Index, Species Richness and Species Evenness as well? (Can't remember the order)

yh i did random, sample, simpsons index, percentage cover and species richness,
Original post by PrincessMedic
I don't think that's bad at all, that would give you like 75/100 which in theory is a B, but normally with F212, that would be an A. I dropped WAAAAAY more. Believe me. I'd be lucky to even have gained 25 marks! :colondollar:

Someone pleeeaaaassssseeeee upload an unofficial markscheme?

Lol this is my third time im doing this exam, first time i didnt revise properly which i regret because that paper was easy, the second time i got 1 mark off a b, this time i actually found it better than january paper.
Reply 4427
Original post by otrivine
was 3 marks i said like low protein contenet disease predators e.t.c like this and for the 3 thing that has to be same i said PH concentration of enzyme and concentration of substrate ?

yeah i wrote pH enzyme conc and substrate conc. too
Reply 4428
Original post by Flyteryder
What did everyone put for the choose the letter question? I didn't know so I put J.

I put J too, but by that time I was rushing so I never gave much thought to it with it being 1 mark.
Original post by LittleSeaPig
I thought I did ok on the paper but it had **** all to do with most of what we've learnt!! Too much focus on biodiversity etc

My email to OCR
To whom it may concern,
Today I sat the F212 AS biology exam and am writing to you to express my concerns.
The paper was based mainly on 2 topics; enzymes and biodiversity. There was nothing in the paper about malaria, TB or HIV/AIDS which we
have learnt, nor DNA and RNA. I find this appalling since the exam is supposed to cover the majority topics we have covered and apply the
knowledge. We haven't had a chance to display the knowledge we have acquired because the questions were only concentrated on the
aforementioned topics.
Many questions were poorly worded too. I can't remember the specifics, but in one question, I had to read it numerous times and
came to an unsatisfactory conclusion what the question was asking me; I couldn't work out if it wanted me to talk about the topic covered
in the first few sentences or the one in previous questions. A further question tried to catch you out with 'does not have' so can't make
accurate results so must estimate. How is estimation of the amount of a reducing sugar anything to do with the molecules, their structure
or anything else on the syllabus for that matter? Another gripe was the number of 'suggest' questions; this isn't the application of
biological knowledge, but a guessing game of what the marker wants to hear. Poorly worded questions only lead to confused candidates, so
why would you make questions ambiguous?
The last question of the paper, you just put as many words as you could on to one page to confuse you. It only needed 5/6. This
was just to panic a candidate at the end, surely? I suggest you think more carefully next time about how you structure and word a
question.
The only thing I was happy about was the question on smoking, though this could have been expanded further to deal with the other
aspects of smoking and health eg atherosclerosis though I know it came up on a recent paper.

Please sort it out.
Chloe Howard

We'll see what happens in August....

If everybody wrote an email to the exam board for every exam they found hard (which knowing this site, they probably do), you'd just get ignored anyway. It won't make one shred of difference; they'll just laugh at you (if they even bother to read it, which they just won't).

Exams are hard, get over it.
Reply 4430
Original post by LittleSeaPig
I thought I did ok on the paper but it had **** all to do with most of what we've learnt!! Too much focus on biodiversity etc

My email to OCR
To whom it may concern,
Today I sat the F212 AS biology exam and am writing to you to express my concerns.
The paper was based mainly on 2 topics; enzymes and biodiversity. There was nothing in the paper about malaria, TB or HIV/AIDS which we
have learnt, nor DNA and RNA. I find this appalling since the exam is supposed to cover the majority topics we have covered and apply the
knowledge. We haven't had a chance to display the knowledge we have acquired because the questions were only concentrated on the
aforementioned topics.
Many questions were poorly worded too. I can't remember the specifics, but in one question, I had to read it numerous times and
came to an unsatisfactory conclusion what the question was asking me; I couldn't work out if it wanted me to talk about the topic covered
in the first few sentences or the one in previous questions. A further question tried to catch you out with 'does not have' so can't make
accurate results so must estimate. How is estimation of the amount of a reducing sugar anything to do with the molecules, their structure
or anything else on the syllabus for that matter? Another gripe was the number of 'suggest' questions; this isn't the application of
biological knowledge, but a guessing game of what the marker wants to hear. Poorly worded questions only lead to confused candidates, so
why would you make questions ambiguous?
The last question of the paper, you just put as many words as you could on to one page to confuse you. It only needed 5/6. This
was just to panic a candidate at the end, surely? I suggest you think more carefully next time about how you structure and word a
question.
The only thing I was happy about was the question on smoking, though this could have been expanded further to deal with the other
aspects of smoking and health eg atherosclerosis though I know it came up on a recent paper.

Please sort it out.
Chloe Howard

We'll see what happens in August....

I might copypasta this and send it to them haha... Completely agree with everything you said. Nearly the whole of the first question was suggest, which basically just put me off to a really bad start... I was really hoping for an A, but now I'm really doubting myself :frown:
Reply 4431
Original post by werty321
I wrote exactly the same, but then dnt know with ocr, questions on enzymes were totally out of spec, well at least didnt fit the past paper pattern.

I put:
Temperature
Substrate conc
Enzyme conc
Original post by Corryms
that one was easy.
The nutrient solution contained sucrose.

no, in the question it said the nutrient solution was not a carbohydrate. sucrose is a carbohydrate. It was because the ecoli was grown in a starch solution

Yeah, I meant percentage cover instead of evenness. Good to know I got it right :smile:
Original post by niaghez
because it doesnt have the enzymes.
however, what did people write for why there was a little amount of reducing sugar present in test tube A? i said the e coli was grown in starch so the bacteria could have released the reducing sugars...

Ditto with "doesn't have correct enzymes"

I wrote that the nutrient solution was contaminated with other carbohydrates, even though the question stated it was the only one. I didn't know what else to write though. D:
Original post by Axion
True artwork :rolleyes:

Spread the word :biggrin:

Hurrah for OCR.

Lol

Good stuff. Van Gogh would be proud :')
Reply 4436

woah there was species eveness somewhere in there??
Reply 4437
OCR don't mark down for incorrect answers right? They just ignore them?

So for that variation question, where I didn't have a clue what I was talking about, I did get the continous/discontinous bit right, but then put some stuff that was probably wrong. Would i still get a couple of marks for putting that?
Reply 4438
i made a silly mistake with the percentage one... i was gonna do it and i knew how to do it but the guy said put your pens down!! i was so angry
Original post by kj14
yeah i wrote pH enzyme conc and substrate conc. too

is bacteria heterotrphic ?

and for that question i said domain 3 and are archeae bacteria and eukaryote and said based on trna research like rna polymerase?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending