The Student Room Group

OCR Biology F212 (Molecules, Biodiversity, Food and Health)- 21st May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Romeuo
sure, what does CITES stand for? give three of CITES commitments. what is an EIA and what criteria does it require new developments to fulfil?

CITES- convention internation trade endangered species
- ensure artifically propagated plants are allowed for trade subject to permit
ensure wild plants are not allowed for trade
allow mild endangered species to be exported by agreeing with both of the trades .

EIA (enivronmental impact assesment) it needs to take into account the number of speices present within that environemnet if they are planning to make a new development. Also, biodiversity has to be taken into consideration
I have a theory that these topics will come up:

A fair amount of Smoking (coughing essay?)
Adaptations
Features of the domain system and 5 kingdoms (differences between them and main features of each)
Experiments with Carbs and enzymes
Does anyone have any topics/questions that they think will probably/definitely come up?
Original post by puddinboy
Does anyone have any topics/questions that they think will probably/definitely come up?

Smoking for sure. More specifically coughing and it's effects (probably a 7 marker), but revise everything.

Check my post above
Reply 104
can someone help me on the enzyme experiment.. i dont understand anything...
Reply 105
Original post by chiny94
I heard from someone that jan biology exam was so hard concentrating on the unnecessary details, and apparently they changed the exam to be more focusing on the application rather than information...do you think this is true? And if so, do you think may exam will be like jan ones as well? Really worried now :frown:

Yes it was like that and because of that i think June will be the same.
Reply 106
can someone also tell me how atherosclerosis is formed?

i know the markschemes for lung cancer, CHD, chronicbronchitus/emhpysema.. not sure on atherosclerosis though?

and what are the symptoms for each?
Reply 107
to be honest id rather it be like that because then that way the grade boundries are guarenteed to be LOW.. the january 2012 exam for biological molecules,biodiservity, heealth and siease was 66 for an A

66!!!!!!!
Reply 108
Anybody got the Jan 2012 paper? if so can you send it to me?
Reply 109
Original post by narli
to be honest id rather it be like that because then that way the grade boundries are guarenteed to be LOW.. the january 2012 exam for biological molecules,biodiservity, heealth and siease was 66 for an A

66!!!!!!!

do you have the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme then?
Reply 110
Original post by Treacle2
do you have the Jan 2012 paper and mark scheme then?

yeah
how do i attach it?
Reply 111
Original post by narli
yeah
how do i attach it?

Send it in an inbox message i think? or i can give you my email address and you can email it to me?
Original post by Treacle2
Send it in an inbox message i think? or i can give you my email address and you can email it to me?

If you don't mind can you send it o me as well
Hey
How is everyone revising for this exam.
This is my third go :\ and hopefully i'll get i right this time considering its my last.
Reply 114
Original post by livingforthefuture
Hey
How is everyone revising for this exam.
This is my third go :\ and hopefully i'll get i right this time considering its my last.

what did you get in your first 2?
Reply 115
Original post by livingforthefuture
If you don't mind can you send it o me as well

yeah just pm me your email
Original post by narli
what did you get in your first 2?

I got 2 D's and only improved by one mark the second time
Reply 117
im retaking this from jan i did so badly. Any tips on how get get a Pass grade? help xo
Atherosclerosis (think its right)

Deposits of fat and cholesterol are deposited underneath the endothelium of blood vessels, due to high amount of LDL's in the blood which encourage deposition on vessels.
Once this builds up to a significant level over a substantial period of time, normally decades, the endothelium ruptures. The platelets then come to repair this damage by clotting it. If the sufferer is a smoker his/her platelets will be sticky, so when they attempt to clot the rupture they stick more and more red blood cells to the clump ( can still happen in non-smokers). This is now called an Atheroma, this is an intrusion of the endothelial wall into the lumen of the vessel causing complete or partial blockage of the vessel. Blocking the vessel can cause cell death (if its in a coronary artery heart attack or in the brain it could be a stroke). If this atherma breaks off it forms an embolus which travels around in the blood and can block a smaller vessel (a common type is Pulmonary Embolism) and can cause death. I think that is atherosclerosis, any improvements/criticisms would be lovely :smile:
If anyone wants a revision partner, I would be interested.
Original post by WenlockRhys
Atherosclerosis (think its right)

Deposits of fat and cholesterol are deposited underneath the endothelium of blood vessels, due to high amount of LDL's in the blood which encourage deposition on vessels.
Once this builds up to a significant level over a substantial period of time, normally decades, the endothelium ruptures. The platelets then come to repair this damage by clotting it. If the sufferer is a smoker his/her platelets will be sticky, so when they attempt to clot the rupture they stick more and more red blood cells to the clump ( can still happen in non-smokers). This is now called an Atheroma, this is an intrusion of the endothelial wall into the lumen of the vessel causing complete or partial blockage of the vessel. Blocking the vessel can cause cell death (if its in a coronary artery heart attack or in the brain it could be a stroke). If this atherma breaks off it forms an embolus which travels around in the blood and can block a smaller vessel (a common type is Pulmonary Embolism) and can cause death. I think that is atherosclerosis, any improvements/criticisms would be lovely :smile:
If anyone wants a revision partner, I would be interested.

im ready lets ask each other questions on eco part and first 10 pages on disease chapter :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending