The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The Illuminati
30% of AS

Original post by Unsworth
30%

thank you :smile:
Original post by aisha302
does anybody have any clues of what might come up? i think heart & mitosis will......

I think heart, mitosis, membranes (i.e structure and function of the components), transport across membranes (osmosis, active transport, facilitated diffusion etc...), translocation, potometer experiment, experimentral evidence for mass flow.

Hope this helps!
I'm going to be retaking this next year. At least I'll be able to see if OCR decided to keep up their antics like the Jan exam. Hope the exam goes well for you guys.
Original post by skylight17
I'm doing it for a third time! (don't laugh :wink:) - I'm aiming to get full marks so I don't have to do as well on F215. At the moment I need 124/150 for an A, but I could get it down to 101/150.

How about you?

P.S. That is what happened to me in Jan (my UMS only went up by 4!), as the F211 material wasn't very prominent in my mind and I thought I could manage it without doing much revision... I was wrong lol

I won't laugh because I am resitting it for the 3rd time as well, haha. When I resat the exam last year I had the EXACT same mark as last time!

I need to get a 113/150 in F215 to get an A overall. I am not sure if I am going to get it since genetics is really killing me. I just hope I get a B overall since that is my requirements for Uni. :smile:
I hate to say that you are wrong...

polar / ionic ;
cannot pass through , phospholipid layer / hydrophobic regions ;
use , protein channels / protein carriers / transport proteins ;
(protein channels with) hydrophilic , lining / channel / core ; (3 max)
DO NOT CREDIT water-soluble (in Q)
CREDIT impermeable to vitamin B1 / water
CREDIT transmembrane / intrinsic protein
DO NOT CREDIT aquaporin

Well on the contrary:

(ii) fit between (phospho)lipids / through (phospho)lipid (bi)layer ;
via, protein channels / protein pores / aquaporins ;
Original post by Jamie66
Which paper is this from?

June 09 Legacy paper - Biology Foundation
I think heart, mitosis, membranes (i.e structure and function of the components), transport across membranes (osmosis, active transport, facilitated diffusion etc...), translocation, potometer experiment, experimentral evidence for mass flow.

Hope this helps!

If these come up then ill be so happy, as these topics arent too difficult, im aiming for 84 - 90 ums and i think, from looking from padt papers is about 46-50 raw marks for 81ums and about 50-55 for 90
Original post by mathsclown
Roots cannot obtain sugars from the soil so rely on the phloem to transport it to them from the leaves, other cells use it for metabolic activites as well as storage by converting it into starch,

Tricky question!!

I found it difficult too, very tricky, but yes that is the correct answer!
Original post by PrettyLittleLiars
Thank you this made more sense than my text book. I just hope they don't ask us to calculate the tidal volume or anything like that.

yeah, i just read up on this section now, its definitely by least comfortable
Well on the contrary:

The question was about Vitamin B1 - not water (so the answers above are referring to the vitamin).
Reply 270
June 09 Legacy paper - Biology Foundation

Well on the contrary:

I think that's actually implying that they can only get though via the channel proteins, and not actually directly between the lipids. Which paper is this from?

EDIT: Actually ignore that, I misread what you typed :s-smilie: Why does OCR have to contradict itself?

EDIT 2: I've found the markscheme for that paper, I'll take your word for it :smile: Kindof hope that question comes up tomorrow now haha, I feel like an expert on the topic now :P
(edited 11 years ago)
Well on the contrary:

I take back what I said! :wink: I forgot that the phospholipid bilayer is permeable to small polar molecules such as ethanol, water and carbon dioxide.
Original post by Little_Cat
1) daughter cells are haploid and are not identical to the parent cell

2) Respiring tissue has a high concentration of carbon dioxide and a low concentration on oxygen. The higher the concentration of carbon dioxide present the more oxygen molecules dissassociate with oxygen. so the Respiring tissue has more O2 for aerobic respiration

3) chloride shift occurs to prevent a charge imbalance occurring when hydrogen carbonate ions leave the haemoglobin

4) the companion cell has many mitochondria and translocation can be stopped by using a metabolic poison that inhibits the formation of ATP.

I hope I'm right I've been revising for AGES!!! I really need a decent grade in this paper.

Original post by Little_Cat
*2) o2 disassociates with haemoglobin due to compitition with hydrogen ions formed when co2 enters the haemoglobin and reacts with water to for carbonic acid (catalysed by carbonic anhydrase). Carbonic acid dissassociates to form hydrogen ions and hydrogencarbonate ions ( which diffuse out of the haemoglobin)

1/2 Say the they are not genetically identical
4/4
1/1
2/2

Well done!
ALL membranes are permeable to water, they are desciried as partially permeable because as well as water, they are permeable to some solutes
Original post by Jamie66

EDIT: Actually ignore that, I misread what you typed :s-smilie: Why does OCR have to contradict itself?

Hahah it is a weird concept I guess. The membrane is lipid based so it is insoluble to water, hydrophobic tails, etc etc.. yet water can still pass through it!?
Reply 275
could someone please explain massflow? & experimental evidence for it..
Reply 276
Hahah it is a weird concept I guess. The membrane is lipid based so it is insoluble to water, hydrophobic tails, etc etc.. yet water can still pass through it!?

Yeah that's where I got confused, at least I've been shot down and told the right answer by everyone now, thanks :smile:
Original post by mathsclown
SOne chromosomes have the same genes at the same loci, these are homologous chromosomes

That is correct :smile:

There is research being carried out to explain this anomaly because currently no-one knows why it happens, even though it shouldn't.
Reply 279

Hope this helps!

Not on the specification.

Latest

Trending

Trending