The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natalie21
Why do you think the chances are so low?

hi natalie can we revise questions????
Retaking my B from January in this, was such a crappy paper compared to all the previous ones!

I'm almost certain there will be a question on Mitosis in this, also I'm fairly sure there will be one on the heart (hopefully). Can't see there being too much on gas exchange as the last paper seemed to be filled with stuff only on gas exchange and cells!
Reply 142
Natalie - casparian strip forms a tiny tiny tiny part of the syllabus. Any question would be worth 2 marks maximum.
Reply 143
Original post by Unsworth
Retaking my B from January in this, was such a crappy paper compared to all the previous ones!

I'm almost certain there will be a question on Mitosis in this, also I'm fairly sure there will be one on the heart (hopefully). Can't see there being too much on gas exchange as the last paper seemed to be filled with stuff only on gas exchange and cells!

Yeah its a new exam style that is focused more on application rather than recollection.

Annoying stuff :frown:
Reply 144
Original post by otrivine
hi natalie can we revise questions????

No I'm busy sorry :smile:

Original post by Unsworth

Completing agree - mitosis and hearts for sure!

Original post by Axion
Natalie - casparian strip forms a tiny tiny tiny part of the syllabus. Any question would be worth 2 marks maximum.

I hope it comes up now :wink:
Original post by Axion
Yeah its a new exam style that is focused more on application rather than recollection.

Annoying stuff :frown:

The question they had on cilia wafting water inside that cell was ridiculous I thought. What is the point of testing our knowledge of cilia if we are applying it to a situation that doesn't happen!?
Reply 146
flagella you mean :wink:

but yeah still stupid - who the hell gives the slightest damn about a collar cell and a sponge?
Reply 147
its conceivable this test may focus on a really small part of the syllabus as well and focus only really on transport in plants.

If this happened then mitosis & hearts wouldnt come up. The problem is that there is too much content for 60 marks so you end up getting examined on hardly anything.

Best policy is to just learn everything! Question spotting can fail badly :/
^agree

Just a guess though: haemoglobin stuff, heart, mitosis, membranes, translocation with evidence for and against mass flow, cells in different solutions, experiment question asking about validity and accuarcy and ECGs.

Just have a gut feeling this will concentrate on the animal transport, but ye cant guess, anything can come up ://

P.S if you have learnt the whole text book, you'll be fine :smile: for the application try and think of something that you learnt that links in with the question and just write that down. I only dread the practical questions, especially the spirometer, potometer isnt too bad, spirometer just arrgh ://
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by itsmehello
Okay thank you sooo much that would probably be 6/6 :colondollar:

But btw could you mention that the chromatin condenses to visible chromosomes firstand then it supercoils
Or does condensing it and supercoiling basically mean the same thing?

Hi, did a bit of research and the process of condensing is to allow the chromosomes to move smoothly during the divison, without becoming entangled or breaking. And found out that, supercoiling does mean condensing :smile:
Original post by mathsclown
Hi, did a bit of research and the process of condensing is to allow the chromosomes to move smoothly during the divison, without becoming entangled or breaking. And found out that, supercoiling does mean condensing :smile:

Ahh okay thanks, yeah when they're supercoiled they're easier to move because they're much smaller as well
How can we practice application questions when the past papers don't have many application questions

Does anyone one have any other websites or questions where you need to apply your knowledge?
Reply 152
Anyone else having trouble learning the chemical equation haemoglobin crap? The carbonic anhydrase stuff ?

:wtf:
(edited 11 years ago)
How can we practice application questions when the past papers don't have many application questions

Does anyone one have any other websites or questions where you need to apply your knowledge?

I think I remember this module being very similar to the 2803/01 Transport paper in the old specification.
Here is a link to some papers: http://pastpapers.org/as-papers/transport-biology-papers

I think that introducing application in F211 is to help you in the later modules when a large proportion of the questions are application questions.
Reply 154
Original post by The Illuminati
I think I remember this module being very similar to the 2803/01 Transport paper in the old specification.
Here is a link to some papers: http://pastpapers.org/as-papers/transport-biology-papers

I think that introducing application in F211 is to help you in the later modules when a large proportion of the questions are application questions.

Some of those questions are really hard :frown:
Original post by Axion
Some of those questions are really hard :frown:

I'd be happy to help with any you don't understand.
Reply 156
I'd be happy to help with any you don't understand.

Its not really that but for example the diagram wuestion where you need to label the 'tunica externa'.

Hadn't even heard fo that till now, and certainly wouldn't have been able to do it

Thank you so much!!!
:smile:

Original post by Axion
Its not really that but for example the diagram wuestion where you need to label the 'tunica externa'.

Hadn't even heard fo that till now, and certainly wouldn't have been able to do it

Because it's from the old spec I really doubt we need to know that for F211 so don't worry!
The other questions are all useful though
Reply 158
Thank you so much!!!
:smile:

Because it's from the old spec I really doubt we need to know that for F211 so don't worry!
The other questions are all useful though

aha ok :smile:.

onto my last section - cell divisoin now. If I get this done today then i've learnt the whole spec with one day left for solid revision and textbook reading :P
Reply 159
I havent revised really anything, revision starts now :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending