The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by Dagga
I havent revised really anything, revision starts now :confused:

Revise hard man. Good luck!
Reply 161
Anyone got a mark scheme with marking points for explaining the need for fetal haemoglobin to have a higher affinity for oxygen? I'm sure this topic will come up, and I feel like my explanation is too simple
Reply 162
Unfortunately not, but.

All it is is that fetal haemoglobin must have a higher affinity or the foetus would not be able to draw oxygen from the mothers blood. Therefore at any partial pressure, the foetus' affinity is higher than the mothers so the curve lies to the left of the mothers?
Reply 163
Original post by Axion
Revise hard man. Good luck!

Thanks! Btw how are you revising so quickly?
Reply 164
Original post by Axion
Unfortunately not, but.

All it is is that fetal haemoglobin must have a higher affinity or the foetus would not be able to draw oxygen from the mothers blood. Therefore at any partial pressure, the foetus' affinity is higher than the mothers so the curve lies to the left of the mothers?

Yes I'm probably worrying about nothing :rolleyes: OCR can be so difficult with the way marks are awarded so I am always worried about losing easy marks for not hitting enough points
Reply 165
Original post by Dagga
Thanks! Btw how are you revising so quickly?

I don't know :redface: just notes and textbook.
Original post by Axion
Unfortunately not, but.

Would the partial pressure of oxygen always be lower at the fetus to cause the oxyhaemoglobin to dissociate so the fetal hb can take it up? Not quite sure since finishing off this topic today :/

Has anyone got any note on spirometer and how to calculate oxygen uptake? Hate it :frown:
Reply 167
Original post by mathsclown
Would the partial pressure of oxygen always be lower at the fetus to cause the oxyhaemoglobin to dissociate so the fetal hb can take it up? Not quite sure since finishing off this topic today :/

Has anyone got any note on spirometer and how to calculate oxygen uptake? Hate it :frown:

i think so

finishing off cell division now. its a real annoyance
Reply 168
Anyone else starting to worry?

I've got a few more things on cell dvision to do, then re-revise everything, then read the textbook :/

:work:
I'm the only one in my class sitting this exam woo!
Even though the majority of us got D's and U's in Jan (class of 8, there were 4 D's, 2 U's), I was the only one to opt to resit :confused:
But anyways my revision is going well but I'm scared that it will end up like Jan again where I ended up with a D :frown:
Reply 170
Could someone explain the cardiac cyle please in like the simplest form & i really dont want to fail this help!
Reply 171
Original post by Alotties
I'm the only one in my class sitting this exam woo!
Even though the majority of us got D's and U's in Jan (class of 8, there were 4 D's, 2 U's), I was the only one to opt to resit :confused:
But anyways my revision is going well but I'm scared that it will end up like Jan again where I ended up with a D :frown:

what mark did you get if you remember?
& good luck btw xo
Original post by aisha302
what mark did you get if you remember?
& good luck btw xo

I got 52/90 UMS which was 32/60 raw marks =^.^=
One mark off a C so I'm hoping for at least a B this time!!
Did you take it?
Thanks for the luck, good luck to you too :tongue:
Original post by aisha302
Could someone explain the cardiac cyle please in like the simplest form & i really dont want to fail this help!

Filling Phase
Ventricles and atria relaxed
Blood flows from major veins through atria and through open AV valves into ventricles
This is diastole

Atria contration (atrial systole)
Heart beat begins with the contraction of the atria
Contraction creates small increase in pressure and pushes blood into ventricles
Once ventricles fill with blood they begin to contract
Blood flows upwards and fills in the pockets of rhe AV valves causes them to shut (prevents blood flowing back to atria)

Ventricular contraction
All valves are closed - ventricles contract
Pressure quickly rises
Once pressure is higher than the major arteries, semi lunar valves open and blood is pushed out
Ventricles relax and heart begins to fill with blood again for next cycle
(edited 11 years ago)
Stuff i didnt see in jan paper that may crop up: identify organelle, protein synthesis, mitosis, sperm cel or root hair cell, spirometer/ecg, heart and cardiac cycle, haemoglobin, single double open and closed circulatory system, Translocation and evidence for and agaisnt mass flow, tissue fluid, comparisons of vessel.

Good luck all, it is a pain but lets hope for the best :smile:
Reply 175
The big day tomorrow - may god have mercy on us all.
Reply 176
random questtion:

what creates hydrostatic pressure in the blood
Original post by Axion
random questtion:

what creates hydrostatic pressure in the blood

Contraction by the LEFT ventricle

:shy2: anyone correct me if i am wrong!! (but thats what i learnt)
Original post by Lil Monkey
Contraction by the LEFT ventricle

:shy2: anyone correct me if i am wrong!! (but thats what i learnt)

I'm sure it is the left ventricle.:smile:
Reply 179
tis :P the heart would do .

Anyone want to do a question exchange. whreby every post you write, has to end with a question and a set number of marks and the next person has to answer it?

Latest

Trending

Trending