The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Should there be restrictions on what people on benefits choose to buy?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Jeester
Fruit can be grown in a garden for next to nothing...

Have a medal.

Most people don't want to wait months to eat a handful of grapes.
Original post by Jeester

Not everyone has a garden. Plus there's the expense of soil, seeds etc.
Original post by Jeester
But would you not prefere to put it back in to the economy yourself?

That alcoholic drink or night out clubbing should be in all rights OUR alcoholic drink or night clubbing not a scroungers.(Fair play if they are disabled though).

You live in this country, you pay tax on the money you earn and on the things you buy. Once that tax goes to the government they do with it what they budgeted for. The money isn't yours. If it is given to a benefit claimant, then it belongs to the benefit claimant, not to you. If you don't like what the government are doing with tax money, you vote for a new government, or you go to a different country.

Original post by Jeester

For those who have a garden. And time to wait for fruit to grow. I'm hungry now, do you suggest I grow a tomato so I can have a salad?
Reply 63
Original post by tehforum
Have a medal.

Most people don't want to wait months to eat a handful of grapes.

I FREAKING LOVE MEDALS! Get some!!!!111!!!1!!

(And if they don't want to wait they can get off their asses, get a job and buy them immediatly.)
Original post by minimarshmallow
For those who have a garden. And time to wait for fruit to grow. I'm hungry now, do you suggest I grow a tomato so I can have a salad?

If you do can I come and get some? Freshly picked tomatoes taste amazing :tongue:
Original post by Jeester
I FREAKING LOVE MEDALS! Get some!!!!111!!!1!!

(And if they don't want to wait they can get off their asses, get a job and buy them immediatly.)

So your solution is go hungry till your grapes grow - providing you have a garden and had enough money for the seeds to start with - or go join the other 50 people applying for each job vacancy so you can eat. Clever solution, don't know why nobody has thought of that...
Original post by gateshipone
If you do can I come and get some? Freshly picked tomatoes taste amazing :tongue:

I don't actually like tomatoes, I just thought it flowed nicely :smile:
But if I did grow tomatoes you could have some. Because I wouldn't want them.
Reply 67
You live in this country, you pay tax on the money you earn and on the things you buy. Once that tax goes to the government they do with it what they budgeted for. The money isn't yours. If it is given to a benefit claimant, then it belongs to the benefit claimant, not to you. If you don't like what the government are doing with tax money, you vote for a new government, or you go to a different country.

That money could come back to me in the form of more of a maintenance loan for uni, my current one doesn't even cover my accomodation costs and I went for the cheapest. My parents are in loads of debt but earn quite a bit so I got **** all from them. I have to work over the holidays when others get to revise because their parents are less well off. I know it's a bit of a sob story but it angres me so much.
Or they could just decrease taxes and let me have my money.

And also, it's called forward thinking...
"I will be hungry in the future. If I grow food now I will be able to eat it when I am hungry in the future." A lot of them lack forward thinking, are lazy and don't want to think about what they could do for themselves but what we can do for them. Otherwise they would all go out and apply for more allotments or protest for more and grow there own food.
Reply 68
Original post by gateshipone
Good for you, I know of at least 1500 young people who claim and do need it and I suspect they are the majority.

If you're basing your ideas on the few people you know then you can't possibly have enough data to actually know what most benefit claimants are like. You simply sound like you're biased and view anyone on benefits as thieves. You're angry about tax payers money being spent on drink, drugs and prams but only if it's from claimants. It's fine when the same money is spent by civil servants. You don't see the double standard there?

The difference is that tax payers money given to the public sector are wages/salaries. Tax payers money given to claimants is completely different.

Benefits are a blessing; not every country in this world has a lax welfare system so those on benefits should only be spending it on essentials and what they can actually afford.
I don't actually like tomatoes, I just thought it flowed nicely :smile:
But if I did grow tomatoes you could have some. Because I wouldn't want them.

:thumbsup: thanks!
Reply 70
Original post by Jeester
That money could come back to me in the form of more of a maintenance loan for uni, my current one doesn't even cover my accomodation costs and I went for the cheapest. My parents are in loads of debt but earn quite a bit so I got **** all from them. I have to work over the holidays when others get to revise because their parents are less well off. I know it's a bit of a sob story but it angres me so much.

"I will be hungry in the future. If I grow food now I will be able to eat it when I am hungry in the future." A lot of them lack forward thinking, are lazy and don't want to think about what they could do for themselves but what we can do for them. Otherwise they would all go out and apply for more allotments or protest for more and grow there own food.

Why are your parents in debt?
Reply 71
So your solution is go hungry till your grapes grow - providing you have a garden and had enough money for the seeds to start with - or go join the other 50 people applying for each job vacancy so you can eat. Clever solution, don't know why nobody has thought of that...

It's not like they are applying for joibs 24/7.
And as I said in the post up there^^^^ It's called forward thinking. I will be hingry in the future and will have not much money as I am on JSA, if I spend what I would normally spend on booze and fags and other worthless frills on seeds and an allotment in 4 months time I can see the fruits of my labour and help feed my family on not scrounge off the state so much.
Reply 72
Why are your parents in debt?

Because they're idiots with money.

They don't drink or smoke or anything like that they just think "oh the bank will give me money if I remortgage my house... lets do that and spend all that money on expensive food and Citroen H Vans which we will do up for a buisness but never get round to doing it up as we have so many other useless projects going on"
Reply 73
Original post by madders94
Not everyone has a garden. Plus there's the expense of soil, seeds etc.

Allotments, if you can't get one of them protest for more.

If you can't afford seeds and soil then don't buy frills like booze and fags.
And before you say they need their leisure time, gardening is supposed to be a very relaxing past time. And after a couple of months you can reap the spoils of your hard work. The spoils of fags and booze? An early grave and a lot of scrounging off the state.
Original post by Jeester

Like I said, if you don't like it you either vote for a new government or you move somewhere else.

Example: Up until yesterday if I was hungry I could buy food because I had a job. Now I don't have a job and can't get a new one straight away because there aren't enough jobs. Now I'm hungry, how long do tomatoes take to grow?

The majority of people on benefits aren't on them because they're lazy, they're on them because they can't get a job because there aren't enough jobs, or they are disabled and therefore they can't work and so they have no other choice! And just because you know a handful of people who don't need their benefits doesn't mean they're the majority!
Reply 75
Original post by Jeester
Because they're idiots with money.

They don't drink or smoke or anything like that they just think "oh the bank will give me money if I remortgage my house... lets do that and spend all that money on expensive food and Citroen H Vans which we will do up for a buisness but never get round to doing it up as we have so many other useless projects going on"

Tell them to fix up.
Reply 76
Like I said, if you don't like it you either vote for a new government or you move somewhere else.

Example: Up until yesterday if I was hungry I could buy food because I had a job. Now I don't have a job and can't get a new one straight away because there aren't enough jobs. Now I'm hungry, how long do tomatoes take to grow?

The majority of people on benefits aren't on them because they're lazy, they're on them because they can't get a job because there aren't enough jobs, or they are disabled and therefore they can't work and so they have no other choice! And just because you know a handful of people who don't need their benefits doesn't mean they're the majority!

I never said anything about a majority being lazy. But they still have they time, they are not applying for jobs 24/7 and if they are fair play. Also, they can obviously buy food up until it has grown, but in the mean time they can spend there extra money, which they do have, on trying to grow food. Seeds are not expensive. As I said it costs next to nothing. There is nothing (except maybe the ability to get allotments) stopping them from doing it. If people with full time jobs can do it, they definatly can!
Original post by Jeester
Allotments, if you can't get one of them protest for more.

If you can't afford seeds and soil then don't buy frills like booze and fags.
And before you say they need their leisure time, gardening is supposed to be a very relaxing past time. And after a couple of months you can reap the spoils of your hard work. The spoils of fags and booze? An early grave and a lot of scrounging off the state.

Allotments cost too.

Personally we do have seeds and we are growing our own fruit and veg because my mom really enjoys her gardening and it's one of the only chances she gets to relax, and no-one in our household drinks or smokes because of money and also none of us want to smoke, but it's still a massive struggle for money even without the cost of booze or fags because there's rent and bills to pay as well as food to buy, and the cost of petrol because of the area where we live and how rural it is, so it's ignorant to assume that if people on benefits don't smoke or drink they won't struggle for money.
Reply 78
Tell them to fix up.

Tried. Apparently the H Van was a way of making money so they can help fund me through uni. But in reality the 3k they spent on it would probably tide me over for my entire degree. (I do not drink of go clubbing so my outgoings are very low.)
Original post by Jeester
It's not like they are applying for joibs 24/7.

I have no idea what you mean by this.
My point is that if you lose your job and have no food, the two options you're providing are: 'wait for it to grow in a garden' or 'get a job, even though there are not enough and (in my area anyway) usually about 50 applicants per job'.

Latest

Trending

Trending