The Student Room Group

Do I have to take driving lessons for my provisional license tests?

Well basically I can already drive and I've been driving for like four years in my home country (Yes, without a license .. not our point :biggrin:) and I'd like to start driving in England 'legally'. So I was just on directgov and apparently there are two tests .. theory and practical, can I just walk in and take both tests? How do things work?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Apply for a provisional license, you don't need to take any tests for this but please read the relevant section on the website you mentioned regarding what a provisional license allows you to do and what restrictions are in place.
You can then book your theory test which a computer based test on the theory behind driving.
Once you've passed you can book your practical test.
Reply 2
Original post by hamza7
Well basically I can already drive and I've been driving for like four years in my home country (Yes, without a license .. not our point :biggrin:) and I'd like to start driving in England 'legally'. So I was just on directgov and apparently there are two tests .. theory and practical, can I just walk in and take both tests? How do things work?

You will have to get a provisional license first then you can take your theory test whenever but it will only be valid for a year so you will have to take driving lessons then they will book you in for your practical test before your theory runs out.
Reply 3
The theory test is valid for two years, not one ^^ But within those two years you need to pass your practical, which I'm sure you will ^^ I think everything else has been said above :P
Reply 4
I've been wondering something similar too, which may be of benefit to OP if I ask it in this thread here.

Is there like a rule/law/requirement for you to take X number of 'proper' driving lessons with an instructor, before you can take your practical? Like do you need to have on paper that you've taken a certain number of lessons?

Or can you take your practical without having any 'proper' lessons with a qualified instructor?
Reply 5
Original post by v2p
can you take your practical without having any 'proper' lessons with a qualified instructor?

YES - but not recommended

There are many who were taught by a good driver and then did a couple of lessons with and ADI just to be certain they had it right for the DSA
Reply 6
It's best to at least have a couple of lessons, there's a lot of things you need to do to pass your driving test that you most likely don't do in normal driving...I know I don't do most of the things I learnt on my lessons now I've passed my test
Original post by v2p
I've been wondering something similar too, which may be of benefit to OP if I ask it in this thread here.

Is there like a rule/law/requirement for you to take X number of 'proper' driving lessons with an instructor, before you can take your practical? Like do you need to have on paper that you've taken a certain number of lessons?

Or can you take your practical without having any 'proper' lessons with a qualified instructor?

No minimum number of lessons, and yes you can.

My dad's taught me how to drive and my test is in May :smile: I'm also doing the test in my own car. I have a feeling the examiner may be more nervous than usual to begin with, me not having dual controls and all, but I've had one lesson with an instructor and she said it's obvious I'm ready for the test.

That said, having a parent teaching you to drive isn't for everyone. My dad's really rather patient, but my friend fell out with her dad rather badly after just one lesson :P
Reply 8
Also worth pointing out that the test isn't just practical any more, there's the show me / tell me bits, the directions bit and also the economical driving bit.
Reply 9
Make sure you take AQA further maths so you can do mechanics 1-4
Reply 10
if you have an international driving license from back home you can drive on that aswel.
Reply 11
Apply for a provisional licence; it takes about 2 weeks to arrive. Once you obtain this, you can have driving lessons until you/ your instructor feels ready to take your driving test - the practical test. Before, you take the practical test, you must have taken (and obviously passed) the theory test - although, it's not difficult, I'd recommend revising first; there are plenty of resources available to do so: books, CDs etc. After you pass your practical test, you're good to go! (providing you have a car and car insurance :P).

PS. Apologies if this has already been said, I haven't read the comments above.
Reply 12
Original post by TattyBoJangles

My dad's taught me how to drive and my test is in May :smile: I'm also doing the test in my own car. I have a feeling the examiner may be more nervous than usual to begin with, me not having dual controls and all, but I've had one lesson with an instructor and she said it's obvious I'm ready for the test.

That said, having a parent teaching you to drive isn't for everyone. My dad's really rather patient, but my friend fell out with her dad rather badly after just one lesson :P

Agreed. My Dad is no driving instructor!
Reply 13
Original post by hamza7

Yeah. You don't have to HAVE lessons, but I'm willing to put a small wager that you won't pass without them. The British driving license is very anal. For example, the theory pass mark is 43/50. So there's very little wiggling room. Same goes for the practical.

Take the lessons. If you don't, you'll waste a lot of money on the tests before you realise you need the lessons. (Yes, you do have to pay for the tests so every time you fail, you pay again)
Reply 14
Original post by zubz91
if you have an international driving license from back home you can drive on that aswel.

He doesn't have a driving license from back home so he's not legible for the IDL
Reply 15
Original post by tamimi
He doesn't have a driving license from back home so he's not legible for the IDL

i get you
Reply 16
You have to have a car you're insured on as well. They don't lend you a car when you take the driving test.
You don't need to have had professional tuition prior to the test, but it is advised that you do. Learning to drive is easy, learning to drive well enough to pass a driving test isn't. Phone any instructor and ask for their free first hour (most do this) and see what he says about your driving, and be prepared to feel dejected to the point of offended :biggrin: You almost definitely won't be anywhere near the standard that will get you through a test, and will probably have a lot of very bad habits which are deeply ingrained and difficult to overrule with good practice, especially under the pressure of a test where your old habits will come back to haunt you. When you attend a test it needs to be in a car that had adequate seating for four, have seatbelts, an additional rear mirror for the examiner, L plates, and adequate insurance.
I would suggest that you get some tuition, even if you don't think you need to. The test is a bit bizarre, and it's also quite expensive - you'll do better to get one lesson with someone who might tell you 'no way will you pass' than to take the test and waste your money.
Original post by TattyBoJangles

Your driving examiner will be expecting not to need them at all :p:

Quick Reply

Latest