Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Young British Muslims more conservative than their elders?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joey11223)
    Why do you care that I care?
    Why do you care than he cares that you care?
    :holmes:

There are a number of reasons for this rise in young conservative Muslims, more and more Muslims see the extent that their religion and their way of life is coming under attack, and they're more aware of the growing hostility towards Islamic beliefs as a result of the internet, however their parents and elders don't use the internet as much as them, their elders won't go on sites like TheStudentRoom, Facebook or Youtube, so they won't be as aware of the extent of the growing hostility towards Islam. This creates a sense of solidarity for young Muslims who frequently use the internet to defend their beliefs, and by defending and justifying their beliefs, they become more conservative.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Their elders immigrated to this country partly because they didn't like the authoritarian, theocratic governments of the country from which they came. Their children, however, didn't so are more likely to be supportive of such rules coming into practice.
    Whilst that sounds plausible it is certainly not true.

Almost every 3rd world immigrant was originally an 'economic migrant'.

They all came for better quality of life, i.e. more money and a more comfortable living - really nothing to do with authoritarian theocracies.

Also, most Muslims in the UK are from where, Pak, BD, India... none oppressive or theocratic.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by electriic_ink)
    Their elders immigrated to this country partly because they didn't like the authoritarian, theocratic governments of the country from which they came. Their children, however, didn't so are more likely to be supportive of such rules coming into practice.
    not really, most of the people came because of the promise of jobs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    That Muslim conversion is forbidden and punishable by death

so, this is a peaceful religion? :/
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emclme)

Stick to the topic and stop ranting about religion, if you want to do that go ahead to Daily Mail, im sure your view will be highly regarded over there.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Stick to the topic and stop ranting about religion, if you want to do that go ahead to Daily Mail, im sure your view will be highly regarded over there.
    The topic is about Muslims and I'm not shocked that the number of young Muslims believe in this quote. I'm just rather sick of the sugar coated, brush it off response coming from people who actually get offended at me questioning this controversial, horrifying opinion.
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:

Well it doesn;t say that in the Qur'an so really they shouldn't believe it.

And, that quote is also with regards to if you commit treason and/ blasphemy. Although the definitions of blasphemy/treason are a bit ambiguous...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The topic is about Muslims and I'm not shocked that the number of young Muslims believe in this quote. I'm just rather sick of the sugar coated, brush it off response coming from people who actually get offended at me questioning this controversial, horrifying opinion.
    Extremism is among every religion, this doesnt mean that the religion is not peaceful.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Maybe the older generations weren't educated in Wahhabi funded institutions nearly as much? It is a worrying trend, which clearly shows that the Left and the 'liberals' are lying when they say integration increases generation on generation. They never really get the chance to integrate because many marry a cousin from their parents homeland.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Extremism is among every religion, this doesnt mean that the religion is not peaceful.
    Yes, I agree with you, there are extremists in every religion. I'm against religious groups because from what I can see they are all hypocritical, hateful and based on opinions. I just can't see how this religion, especially, can be peaceful if Muhammad married a six year old, killed many people and had many wives. These crimes are repulsive and are far from peaceful. You might argue that Catholicism has had many problems with paedophile priests but these crimes weren't committed by Jesus! Now, I think, I've gone a little off topic but when you said "peaceful" I had to laugh.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    This doesn't really answer the OP's question. I'd just raise the point that the questions asked in the survey are really easy to misinterpret.
    There's a difference between asking "Do you think a Muslim woman should be allowed to marry a non-Muslim man", and "Do you think that Islam actually does allow a Muslim woman to marry a non-Muslim man". I know that if you read the question carefully, it's referring to the first one rather than the second, but I think it's quite possible that many respondents misinterpreted the question - placing quite a bit of doubt in the accuracy of the results.

More to the point - I agree with one of the earlier posters on this thread. Some older Muslims who came here from Muslim countries are perhaps only really "Muslim" because they've never seen anything else. Whereas younger Muslims in this country are able to make a clear comparison between Western values and Islamic values. They're more likely to have a broader education about many different religions rather than just one. They've made a conscious decision to choose Islam out of many possible options, whereas older people may be Muslim just because that's all they had to begin with.

You might expect that the "Muslim youth" would be more liberal in general than their ancestors, due to Western influences. But many of those more liberal types aren't going to be the ones replying to this survey, if they no longer identify themselves as Muslims.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    Maybe the older generations weren't educated in Wahhabi funded institutions nearly as much? It is a worrying trend, which clearly shows that the Left and the 'liberals' are lying when they say integration increases generation on generation. They never really get the chance to integrate because many marry a cousin from their parents homeland.
    You still owe me some reasoning :lol:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Are they going to mosques and Muslim youth groups to get opinions from young Muslims? If so, it'd explain it. There's been surveys showing the complete opposite with regards to homosexuality so all it proves are that surveys are pretty unreliable.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehmoodd)
    You still owe me some reasoning :lol:
    I was going to PM you tomorrow when I have the time to do it properly, is that alright?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    I was going to PM you tomorrow when I have the time to do it properly, is that alright?
    No worries.
    Thanks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaboon-supreme)
    i think the main difference is that they can see what is realy going on in western society. they see can see the real image other then the 'perfect civilization' that western media portrays is false and deep down it is SICK and TWISTED. these people see the dirty little secrets that westerners try to hide. i mean if you go on the news then you will see what i mean. front page stories like father locks up doughter for 24 years and rapes her, 15 year old son kills his mother and not to mension the horrid sexual crimes that one could only imagin. they don't want their sister suffering the same fate as a 14 year old pregnant british girl, hence they are more conservative.
    Why are you still here then? Nobody in the country (or Europe in general) particularly wants you here. Honestly I have no idea what you are talking about, places like Britain, Switzerland, Scandinavia, Germany, Canada and so on are obviously miles better than places like Iran, Saudi Arabia or Yemen (where sex crimes also amazingly happen). What does the Islamic world even do today? It is just a festering dump of intolerance, violence and ignorance, it is in the West and in South East Asia (as well as increasingly Latin America) where actual progress is going on.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehmoodd)
    No worries.
    Thanks!
    Please PM me if I forget
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    looking at the numbers they got 20 or less people from each age group answering the questions, can anybody see any information on how they formed the study group? Because going into the middle of Bradford and asking these questions to Muslims is going to yield very different results than going to places where the politicization of Islam is less rampant.

74% of 16-24 year olds would prefer Muslim women to choose to wear the veil, compared to only 28% of 55+ year olds.

I went to a school with a higher % Muslim student population than any other religious group and they were all rigorously opposed to the veil, then again they were a mix of Turkish and Moroccan Muslims who tend to be more progressive and over 70% of 16-24 Muslims may well want women to wear the veil but something about that one in particular makes me think this survey might not have had a broad enough subject range.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Politricks)
    Why do you care than he cares that you care?
    :holmes:

There are a number of reasons for this rise in young conservative Muslims, more and more Muslims see the extent that their religion and their way of life is coming under attack, and they're more aware of the growing hostility towards Islamic beliefs as a result of the internet, however their parents and elders don't use the internet as much as them, their elders won't go on sites like TheStudentRoom, Facebook or Youtube, so they won't be as aware of the extent of the growing hostility towards Islam. This creates a sense of solidarity for young Muslims who frequently use the internet to defend their beliefs, and by defending and justifying their beliefs, they become more conservative.
    I'm going to come back tomorrow and pos rep you.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaboon-supreme)
    i think the main difference is that they can see what is realy going on in western society. they see can see the real image other then the 'perfect civilization' that western media portrays is false and deep down it is SICK and TWISTED. these people see the dirty little secrets that westerners try to hide. i mean if you go on the news then you will see what i mean. front page stories like father locks up doughter for 24 years and rapes her, 15 year old son kills his mother and not to mension the horrid sexual crimes that one could only imagin. they don't want their sister suffering the same fate as a 14 year old pregnant british girl, hence they are more conservative.
    Shut up. Thts a tiny minority of people who actually do that stuff. There's twisted people everywhere, so how can u generalise and say thts the main reason? You just need a reason to Badmouth western culture dont you?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 11, 2012
Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.