The Student Room Group

Fashion entree fail after options

Hey i applied through UCAS to universities to study fashion and design. i got into solent southampton but didnt get anywhere else. i wanted to study at Kingston university because of the location and reputation but i dont know what really to do now.

I rather not go to southampton however my tutor said it wasnt really where you go but what you make out of it.

Was wondering if i could go through clearing/ucas extra etc in order to get another place at university...

if i dont got through these methods then perhaps a gap year might be good to do to take some time doing some work experience etc.

what are your thoughts guys? obviousely its a big decision just need to make the right one
Reply 1
Original post by Shikui
Hey i applied through UCAS to universities to study fashion and design. i got into solent southampton but didnt get anywhere else. i wanted to study at Kingston university because of the location and reputation but i dont know what really to do now.

I rather not go to southampton however my tutor said it wasnt really where you go but what you make out of it.

Was wondering if i could go through clearing/ucas extra etc in order to get another place at university...

if i dont got through these methods then perhaps a gap year might be good to do to take some time doing some work experience etc.

what are your thoughts guys? obviousely its a big decision just need to make the right one

Well i was reading your old posts and i saw that your first choice unis went from csm to bimingham and then to kingston (what happened to bournemouth?)
Are u sure of what u actually want? To be honest, your tutor is right. Its really what u made out of the course.
Im not trying to brag here, but my old school have only very basic facilities and we have to arrive in sch early to queue up for sewing machines and camp behind the mannequins overnight to continue sewing. And we stil manage to produce a fashion show and some of my classmates went up to do BA in csm fit winchester etc.
What i am trying to say is make the best out of what u have. Trying again next yr doesnt guarantee u a place either. I have a senior who is stil trying to get into csm for the third or fourth time whereas her ex classmates already finished their BA courses and went out to work.
Reply 2
I think it's important to like and want to go to the place where you're gonna study and to respect it, and im not entirely sure you do. You said you didnt want to go to Southampton... if i was you, i wouldnt go. If you don't feel comfortable going there then dont. Do you think that the course at southampton offers you the opportunities for you to achieve your goals? and is it the best place for you as a practitioner? Different people work in different ways, does your style of design and way or working match their typical students? Have you tried emailing your previous choices asking for feedback?

Quick Reply

Latest