Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What book/game series do you want to be made into a film?

Announcements Posted on
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

If you could have one book/game series turned into a film, what would it be and why? (Ignoring the fact that some directors mess it up and ruin the series, imagine it could be done perfectly to your standards)

I just sat through behind the scenes of The Lord of The Rings trilogy and it was truly amazing.
    I would love to work in the Film industry, the family-like bond that they all had is incredible.

I'm an avid fan of J.R.R Tolkien and his work, I got a copy of The Hobbit for my birthday when I turned 10 and I was amazed. I then went on to read the Lord Of The Rings trilogy and most recently The Children Of Hurin.
    I was over the moon when they announced The Hobbit was being made into a film, I can't wait to see it. However I have been most moved by the story of The Children Of Hurin. So I'm hoping that they make it into a film one day.

TLDR: (Put aside the fact that they miss out parts from the book, etc.) If you could choose one book/game to be made into a film, what would it be, and why?

My answer - The Children Of Hurin by J.R.R Tolkien. Because all of his work is amazing, I was inspired by his books, and seeing them turn into successful films is outstanding. I have been captivated into the middle earth 'universe'. The Children Of Hurin has been a fantastic read and I'd love to see Peter Jackson turn it into a film.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Demon Cycle series. Always been one of my favourite fantasy series, and the movie rights got bought up last year by a major studio, so fingers crossed.
    • 21 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. One of the most underrated trilogies ever (now with a prequel too!) and fabulously written. Maybe I'm biased but I reckon it could work on the big screen too
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Darren Shan, "The Demonata" series. I loved the books, be awesome to see it in film.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mortal Engines. The sight of seeing huge machine cities on the move, devouring one another is just too epic. No doubt it would need a large budget though.

And the Bartimaeous trilogy might be good too.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The Demon Cycle series. Always been one of my favourite fantasy series, and the movie rights got bought up last year by a major studio, so fingers crossed.
    Yeah man, fingers crossed. The third in the series will be coming out soon as well , so you have that to look forward to! Just found this - 'The Warded Man (known as The Painted Man in the UK) released in the US and Canada on March 10, 2009 from Del Rey Books, and was a Neilsen Bookscan bestseller. The novel has been optioned by director Paul WS Anderson for a major Hollywood motion picture adaptation.' So hopefully they won't miss out on the opportunity to make a film.

(Original post by dudleyian)
    Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud. One of the most underrated trilogies ever (now with a prequel too!) and fabulously written. Maybe I'm biased but I reckon it could work on the big screen too
    I've never heard of this, what's it about?

(Original post by xxm)
    Darren Shan, "The Demonata" series. I loved the books, be awesome to see it in film.
    I've never read any of those, but they look pretty interesting, which one would you recommend first?

(Original post by Sir Arthur)
    Mortal Engines. The sight of seeing huge machine cities on the move, devouring one another is just too epic. No doubt it would need a large budget though.

And the Bartimaeous trilogy might be good too.
    I've never heard of this but it sounds amazing, I think I'll do some research...
    • 35 followers

ReputationRep:
    The Jasper Fforde Thursday Next series. Only if they could do it justice.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lsaul95)
    Yeah man, fingers crossed. The third in the series will be coming out soon as well , so you have that to look forward to! Just found this - 'The Warded Man (known as The Painted Man in the UK) released in the US and Canada on March 10, 2009 from Del Rey Books, and was a Neilsen Bookscan bestseller. The novel has been optioned by director Paul WS Anderson for a major Hollywood motion picture adaptation.' So hopefully they won't miss out on the opportunity to make a film.

I've never heard of this, what's it about?

I've never read any of those, but they look pretty interesting, which one would you recommend first?

I've never heard of this but it sounds amazing, I think I'll do some research...

Best read "Lord Loss" as it would be hard to understand the plot, if you didn't. Thoroughly recommend the series, fantastic read.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I wish that they would do Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials series properly. The Golden Compass (Northern Lights) was a bit disappointing, but what was more disappointing was that they didn't even attempt The Subtle Knife and the Amber Spyglass. I would have also liked the Alex Rider books to have been done better, the Stormbreaker film was awful.
    • 53 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxm)
    Going by the travesty that was the last Shan film, I'd rather they left his work alone from now on.
    • 141 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to see Terry Pratchett's disc world novels made into films. I reckon they'd be pretty hilarious.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would love it if they made the Harry Potter series into films. I'm not sure many people know about them but they are about a wizard...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The final two Dark Materials books, they chickened out with all the religious stuff.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note, His Dark Materials would definitely be great if they were made into films properly. I love Andy McNab's books and there has been rumours of one or another being made into a movie but I am yet to see confirmed proof.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Going by the travesty that was the last Shan film, I'd rather they left his work alone from now on.
    Oh I agree. The last film was absolutely awful. Missed a lot of the original plot and tried to cram too much into one film. Was terribly executed.

The fact is though if "The Demonata" series is done right it would be absolutely epic. Always preferred it to the " Cirque Du Freak" series.
    • 141 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopiteste)
    I would love it if they made the Harry Potter series into films. I'm not sure many people know about them but they are about a wizard...
    I think I've heard of them...
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Bioshock!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PoGo HoPz)
    I'd quite like to see Terry Pratchett's disc world novels made into films. I reckon they'd be pretty hilarious.
    I agree but they'd have to have some sort of narrator, most of the jokes are in the narrative!
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is a fantastic question and this post might turn into an essay. Right...where to start?

1. Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman (Including Double Cross). It's one of the best series I've read and it's a fantastic idea, although sad it's just so well written and brilliant, really. The characters are believable. Although I think it would perhaps be better as a TV series? Somehow I feel that would suit the story better.

2. His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. They messed up with the Golden Compass (although I still enjoyed it when it came out) but it's still an amazing series and would make some brilliant films. Who knows? If they did it properly I might even begin to like Will Parry. What a pain in the bum he is.

3. Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. Perhaps The Hunger Games has opened the film floodgates for the teenage dystopian fantasy genre, so maybe it will be released some time in the future. But if it was done well it could be a really excellent series of films, provided they didn't spend too long on the whole David/Tally romance.

4. Anne of Green Gables (and all the sequels). Don't get me wrong, the films they did make are brilliant, Megan Follows captures Anne perfectly, but it's painfully obvious that they've mixed in plotlines and speeches from Little Women, and once you get to the second film they're totally changing the storyline. As for the last one...what on earth are they doing?! Take Gilbert's proposal, sounds awfully like Laurie's proposal to Jo. Which is stupid because his original proposal was excellent. Why change it? And where in the world was Philippa Gordon? If they made these books into a film I would walk to Canada if I had to just so I could audition for Philippa. She's one of my favourite characters ever.

5. Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld. A parallel version of the First World War with genetically engineered whales that serve as zeppelins, giant machines that look like spiders, a Glaswegian girl posing as a boy and bats that eat nails and then excrete them. Sounds like the trippy sort of thing they'd come up with in a weird 80's film but if those can be hugely popular (and downright brilliant), this could be as well.

Loads of others but I can't be bothered listing them right now. I'll add them in later.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dudleyian)
    It is the third best trilogy I have ever read. But I don't want it to be ruined by a bad movie (see Harry Potter) and have all the dumb fangirls who have never read the books going around drooling on some hot actor instead of the actual story.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 16, 2012
New on TSR

Find out what year 11 is like

Going into year 11? Students who did it last year share what to expect.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.