Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Choosing between Glasgow School of Art, Dundee and Strathclyde for architecture

Announcements Posted on
Complete this short survey for a chance to win an iPad mini! 22-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I've got offers from Strathclyde, Dundee and unconditional offer from Glasgow School of Art. I started thinking about which uni I shall put as my firm and insurance choice.

Dundee (it takes 18th place) is ranked higher in studying architecture than Glasgow School of Art(23) but the latter is more globally recognised (top 60 uni in the world) plus it is a beautiful and historical city that I quite like. What do you think about Strathclyde for architecture?

Could you all give me some advice please? Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Dundee is a shthole
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    the city
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think that GSA should be your main option and you should be happy to have unconditional offer. Strathclyde > Dundee for me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theonelink)
    Dundee is a shthole
    what do you mean?
    • 33 followers

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde as a uni is pretty good. However the architecture building is horrible, which I find quite funny. However even though I feel like I'm cheating on my uni I'd say go for GSA my cousin did architecture there and I think it's pretty highly recommended.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by juste_j)
    what do you mean?
    The city is not very nice... the studios at the school are nice remember I had an interview there but the city no... just no
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    And how do you compare Strathclyde and Dundee in terms of level of education?
    I have heard that architecture in Dundee is more devoted to art, humanities... and Strathclyde is much more technical. Is that true?

I am transferring from the University in Poland with advanced second year entry and I have no idea what to choose. I have also a friend of mine studying in Dundee, which have told me a little bit about the course there, and I am a little bit worried about lack of technical subjects like f.e. building engineering.

What would you advice?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've got the same problem...kind of....
    I'm deciding between Strathclyde and Dundee for Architecture and i don't really have anything to base my decision on :s
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd personally say stay away from Strathclyde just now. Apparently they aren't being given sufficient funding from the university, I know a guy out on his year's placement after third year just now and he says his full year got pulled in for a meeting where they were told they might have to end up being part time tutors for the undergraduate department. There's also whispers of the department being shut down in the near distant future, and there have been a few tutors (one that I personally know) cross the divide from Strathclyde to GSA in the past twelve months.

I actually study architecture at GSA and personally recommend it highly to anyone wanting to study there, not intending to scare monger or be biased towards GSA either, just trying to warn people against making a decision they may regret in 2/3 years time.

http://www.urbanrealm.com/news/3372/...ion_fears.html
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your replay.
    You really scared me now. I have already put Strathclyde as my firm choice so I will probably study architecture there. However I still must pass IELTS so nothing is sure yet. I was convinced that I have made a good choice placing Strathclyde upon Dundee (especially for its technical background) and now I have doubts. But really, it can't just be so wrong. That department is still one of the best in ranks, what is more, it has become better and better through last years. Is there anyone studying at Starthclyde already who can write some words what is happening there?
    I don't know what to do. Should I talk with them to reject me and then go to Dundee (insurance)? Please, give some advide.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The new aj100 has just come out this week and GSA is ranked 2nd alongside Sheffield.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meh_)
    The new aj100 has just come out this week and GSA is ranked 2nd alongside Sheffield.
    link please?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ah got it

http://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/s...ryCode=8630441

pg134

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 20, 2012
New on TSR

TSR Freshers' blogs 2014

Read what TSR's freshers have to say as they head off to uni

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.