The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
One button undone is like Blair on holiday, but two is just the new one. So I was thinking... three buttons? But if it's three, why not four?
It was part of the school rules, so yeah I did for a few years. However, I rarely ever wear shirts now anyway, but when I do, I leave the top button open, and if with a tie, I pull it high enough that it's not even noticeable.
Reply 42
Ever since starting at secondary school it's very rare that I've worn a shirt without a tie. If I was going to wear one without a tie I wouldn't do the top button up.

When I wear a tie I always have the top button done up. So much easier in my opinion to just do the top button up than spend time making it look like it is by wearing the tie tighter when it's going to make very little difference to how it feels.
(edited 12 years ago)
I never do as my cape will get caught.
Reply 44
I always wear the top button on my polo shirts done up as it looks so cool "indie", if you have your top button done up on a shirt you always have to make sure it is a long sleeve shirt!:smile:
I do mine up with all shirts. Ill wear my top button done up with my tie for school but just take off my tie with my top button still fastened at home. And if i do wear casual shirts, i do up the top button. I just like it
So much hate for buttoned up shirts :frown:

This is my logic (and yes, I spent time devising a logic for this): the default attractive state is unbuttoned, because it obviously reveals rather than conceals. However, it also gives itself away and doesn't provide a challenge to the imagination as to what could be "undone", so doing it up looks like whatever may be underneath is out of reach, and one would have to make an effort to get to it.

Shall grab coat.

Obviously this depends on the shirt, I mean if I imagine your standard men's white shirt it probably looks a bit lame anyway, and probably more so if done up without a tie. Likewise, if I imagine a women's shirt where you have a certain boobs line, it would look bad done up too high. But for me I am talking about nice looking patterned coloured shirts, and for some reason they look messy if the top button is left undone, so I tighten the collar around my neck by doing it up, which always looks neater. Also I don't have huge boobs. Also I am a nerd.

Going now.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Flying Cookie
So much hate for buttoned up shirts :frown:

This is my logic (and yes, I spent time devising a logic for this): the default attractive state is unbuttoned, because it obviously reveals rather than conceals. However, it also gives itself away and doesn't provide a challenge to the imagination as to what could be "undone", so doing it up looks like whatever may be underneath is out of reach, and one would have to make an effort to get to it.

Shall grab coat.

Obviously this depends on the shirt, I mean if I imagine your standard men's white shirt it probably looks a bit lame anyway, and probably more so if done up without a tie. Likewise, if I imagine a women's shirt where you have a certain boobs line, it would look bad done up too high. But for me I am talking about nice looking patterned coloured shirts, and for some reason they look messy if the top button is left undone, so I tighten the collar around my neck by doing it up, which always looks neater. Also I don't have huge boobs. Also I am a nerd.

Going now.

It goes deeper than that.

It depends on the fit of a shirt. A shirt which fits well does not show too much off even with the top button undone.
Definitely should have 2-3 buttons undone....

Posted from TSR Mobile
I always button my shirt up to the top, we don’t have ties in our school but I still do it, I tuck my shirt in so the collar is nice and neat around my neck, and I button up my blazer, I even keep it on until I go to bed! I wish we had ties, our school uniform isn’t strict enough, the uniform expectation should be this: top button fastened, blazer buttoned up, shirt tucked in, straight neat collar so the other collar is touching the other one, and ties which you fasten to the top nice and tight round your neck.
No I leave the top button undone
I'm a girl, and I always leave my top button undone.

Latest

Trending

Trending