Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Pain Jesus suffered :(

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSoldier)
    Would you not class that as a weakness?

Since when is God like a "person"?

When Jesus was on this planet, was he being a man (ie working etc) and a God (ie listening to prayers etc) at the same time?

Caring for others is a weakness? Would you agree with that statement? Also remember, we were created in God's image. We were created to love just like Him. Humans have put on the weakness of hating others and all other manner of true weakness.

As to your second question, there's no reason to seek an answer for that one.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    I was referring more to the easily aggravated positions on various issues, i.e. abortion, euthanasia, contraception, evolution, etc.

I digress.

I am yet to see a strong argument to suggest that Jesus suffered significantly more than anybody else around that period. If anything, the knowledge that he would be on his merry way to Heaven would reduce the suffering, because he cannot possibly fear death.

Don't get me wrong, getting nailed to planks of wood probably isn't fun, but it could have been worse.
    Well, Jesus took on all sickness and disease so that we didn't have to. This means that apart from being in pain from the Roman treatment, he was also suffering from every disease in the world. But not only this. Jesus also had to be separated from God the Father (spiritually. Despite how it sounds, it actually IS a big deal. The only comparable example would be to take a child away from a parent, but even that doesn't describe the pain of Jesus being separated from the Father). His soul was made as a sacrifice for us. The physical pain Jesus went through was far more awful than any human could have handled. If it had happened to anyone else then the person would have died very quickly or at least would have become unconscious.

I doubt that any argument could be made to change your mind.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retrodiction)
    The Romans tortured and crucified thousands of people, so let's not pretend that Jesus was unique in the amount of suffering he endured.
    Maybe not unique in the amount of physical suffering (although it was surely a lot worse than the 2 people being crucified next to him according to the accounts). What was painful was God's own Son feeling the pain of being separated from His eternal Father. He was basically experiencing a very concentrated form of hell. i.e. separation from all that is good (which is all that is from God).

This is all of course if you believe in the Trinity.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    I was referring more to the easily aggravated positions on various issues, i.e. abortion, euthanasia, contraception, evolution, etc.

I digress.

I am yet to see a strong argument to suggest that Jesus suffered significantly more than anybody else around that period. If anything, the knowledge that he would be on his merry way to Heaven would reduce the suffering, because he cannot possibly fear death.

Don't get me wrong, getting nailed to planks of wood probably isn't fun, but it could have been worse.
    Was going to post a reply but you got there first. Agree with this
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nephilim)
    Well, Jesus took on all sickness and disease so that we didn't have to. This means that apart from being in pain from the Roman treatment, he was also suffering from every disease in the world. But not only this. Jesus also had to be separated from God the Father (spiritually. Despite how it sounds, it actually IS a big deal. The only comparable example would be to take a child away from a parent, but even that doesn't describe the pain of Jesus being separated from the Father). His soul was made as a sacrifice for us. The physical pain Jesus went through was far more awful than any human could have handled. If it had happened to anyone else then the person would have died very quickly or at least would have become unconscious.

I doubt that any argument could be made to change your mind.
    How on Earth did he take on every disease in the world? For starters, most diseases are slow burning and couldn't really do much damage in half a day. Moreover, what? Last I checked, disease has been pretty omnipresent; is there even doctrinal evidence to support your claim? It's bewildering.

You're making Jesus sound like a pansy.
    • 22 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, Jesus took on all sickness and disease so that we didn't have to.
    Sorry, but what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's true, just as Jesus took our sins, He also took all of our sicknesses and diseases. That is why He was beaten so badly, each stripe or bruise He received, was Him taking on another person's aches and pains, sickness or disease. With each mock or insult He took, He also took on a person's guilt or depression. If only we would receive His righteousness and health in return. (Yet most retain these things onto their own body, only seeing Jesus' sacrifice as the forgiveness of their sins, and not also the taking of their sicknesses.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dagnabbit)
    Maybe not unique in the amount of physical suffering (although it was surely a lot worse than the 2 people being crucified next to him according to the accounts). What was painful was God's own Son feeling the pain of being separated from His eternal Father. He was basically experiencing a very concentrated form of hell. i.e. separation from all that is good (which is all that is from God).

This is all of course if you believe in the Trinity.
    Well, Jesus was of course the bodily manifestation of god, or so the Trinity states, so it wasn't the case that he missed himself.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Okashira)
    It's true, just as Jesus took our sins, He also took all of our sicknesses and diseases. That is why He was beaten so badly, each stripe or bruise He received, was Him taking on another person's aches and pains, sickness or disease. With each mock or insult He took, He also took on a person's guilt or depression. If only we would receive His righteousness and health in return. (Yet most retain these things onto their own body, only seeing Jesus sacrifice as the forgiveness of their sins, and not also the taking of their sicknesses.
    So he received billions of beatings and mockeries?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's true, just as Jesus took our sins, He also took all of our sicknesses and diseases. That is why He was beaten so badly, each stripe or bruise He received, was Him taking on another person's aches and pains, sickness or disease. With each mock or insult He took, He also took on a person's guilt or depression. If only we would receive His righteousness and health in return. (Yet most retain these things onto their own body, only seeing Jesus sacrifice as the forgiveness of their sins, and not also the taking of their sicknesses.
    Considering that disease and sickness are both rather abundant, don't you think that was a waste of Jesus' time?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animatine)
    Since the UK is a Christian country traditionally, is there a person here who doesn't understand the meaning/significance of Easter?
    Easter was originally a pagan festival, in celebration of Eostre, the fertility godess...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Considering that disease and sickness are both rather abundant, don't you think that was a waste of Jesus' time?

You have to receive what He has given us. If we don't receive it, we retain sickness and so on. Its in this current age, we have to make the choice. One day God will restore everything, and do away with sin altogether. He just doesn't want to do away with people in the process. So He is patient with us, hoping we will receive His righteousness.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Good in the sense that Jesus's sacrifice allowed us to be re-joined with the Heavenly Father, and that it set us free from the Devil's grip.
    thanks for enlightening me
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You have to receive what He has given us. If we don't receive it, we retain it. Its in this current age, we have to make the choice. One day God will restore everything, and do away with sin altogether. He just doesn't want to do away with people in the process. So He is patient with us, hoping we will receive His righteousness.
    It's all a rather redundant debate, though.

If we accept the premise that God is omniscient and omnipotent, he could create a world free from disease and sin without bothering to send his son down. It's effectively a guilt trip. Jesus is a superfluous character if you accept that God is all-powerful.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's all a rather redundant debate, though.

If we accept the premise that God is omniscient and omnipotent, he could create a world free from disease and sin without bothering to send his son down. It's effectively a guilt trip. Jesus is a superfluous character if you accept that God is all-powerful.

That's getting into another topic, but if you really looked into this, you will find that your thoughts concerning God are not logical. God is powerful beyond our wildest imagination, but He is not illogical. If you want to discuss more on these things, let's designate another topic for it.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    you never know, maybe jesus was a deviant and liked it?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    you never know, maybe jesus was a deviant and liked it?
    :rofl:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    As did the Prophet Mohammed (S.A.W).
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EffieFlowers)
    :rolleyes:

I can't believe the amount of people who just can't refrain themselves and just have to make sarky/ insulting remarks.

This thread isn't about debate, it's just to celebrate the Christian meaning of Easter. If you aren't a Christian and can't accept those who are, then go and create your own thread. Quit poisoning this one, let there be one thread where all criticism and debate is just pushed to one side.
    How, in any shape or form, was his comment 'sarky/insulting'? He stated he's looking forward to eating chocolate eggs... you really need to get some mental help if you get offended so easily by something so... normal

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 9, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.