Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What to do before Gym?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSc.Pro.Logic)
    I feel like I can build a decent amount of strength before I go so when I do head to the Gym I don't have to start off right at the bottom - that itself might put off me off even when most people are lifting heavy stuff and i'm struggling with the light ones . Also I can save a bit of money.
    With that attitude you ain't going nowhere. Ever.

There will always be people (many, many people) who are bigger and stronger than you. They earned those bodies and abilities- by starting at the bottom and working really damn hard.

Use them as inspiration, hell, talk to them and you might even learn something. Almost all are happy to help.

I changed gyms recently because there weren't enough people there who were significantly better than me. Now I train at the same gym as a shed load of pro BBers (who all make me look like a pussy) and am pretty much the weakest regular there.

The only way you're going to improve is to get your arse into a gym and training around like-minded individuals who are better than you. Work hard enough and eventually you'll be better than them, then you go seek out a new challenge.

TL;DR

Get over yourself, grab an empty barbell and get training and learning.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catjaum)
    and i dont have a big chest.....and if you think my chest is big...you clearly have a tiny/non existent chest yourself.......

I said it was bigger. You should probably take up remedial education because your English comprehension is abysmal, as are your mental capabilities as a whole, clearly.

my awesome one pack---ive actually nearly got a six pack right now...LOL....
    Oooooh okay sorry big man :rolleyes:

once again you aint seen the size of my legs...so your comments are just stupid......do u want me to have small legs or something so you can feel better about yourself?
    :facepalm2:
    :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Old School)
    With that attitude you ain't going nowhere. Ever.

There will always be people (many, many people) who are bigger and stronger than you. They earned those bodies and abilities- by starting at the bottom and working really damn hard.

Use them as inspiration, hell, talk to them and you might even learn something. Almost all are happy to help.

I changed gyms recently because there weren't enough people there who were significantly better than me. Now I train at the same gym as a shed load of pro BBers (who all make me look like a pussy) and am pretty much the weakest regular there.

The only way you're going to improve is to get your arse into a gym and training around like-minded individuals who are better than you. Work hard enough and eventually you'll be better than them, then you go seek out a new challenge.

TL;DR

Get over yourself, grab an empty barbell and get training and learning.
    LOL sorry dude but you got it all wrong. I do actually know that there will always be people better than me and more built up, hence why I asked on a forum for some advice. I didn't come on this forum asking for ways to motivate myself I have that already, there are many reasons I said as to why I don't want to start with the gym so telling me I need to get over myself and I won't go nowhere is just a pile of bull**** to be honest - I'm simply asking for advice on what I should do before I head to the gym.

My point still stands. I don't want to go to a gym at 6'1 and be lifting 5kg dumbbells (not that I would be).

Just want to say thanks again to Zangoose , he gave the best advice.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    LOL sorry dude but you got it all wrong. I do actually know that there will always be people better than me and more built up, hence why I asked on a forum for some advice. I didn't come on this forum asking for ways to motivate myself I have that already, there are many reasons I said as to why I don't want to start with the gym so telling me I need to get over myself and I won't go nowhere is just a pile of bull**** to be honest - I'm simply asking for advice on what I should do before I head to the gym.

My point still stands. I don't want to go to a gym at 6'1 and be lifting 5kg dumbbells (not that I would be).

Just want to say thanks again to Zangoose , he gave the best advice.
    LMAO, and how do you know his advice was the best? Because it's what you wanted to hear? Or have you decided it's the best based on your... experience? Or prior knowledge?

I'm not even going to bother saying anything, it's obvious you're not cut out to achieve anything of note in the gym so who cares what you do.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    LMAO, and how do you know his advice was the best? Because it's what you wanted to hear? Or have you decided it's the best based on your... experience? Or prior knowledge?

I'm not even going to bother saying anything, it's obvious you're not cut out to achieve anything of note in the gym so who cares what you do.
    He said I should try do basic exercises before I go to the gym. To me that makes sense as I can build up a bit of strength before I sign up to a gym. I guess yeah it is kind of what I wanted to hear as I'll probably be signing up to a Gym when I go Uni this September. I was just curious as to what I could do beforehand. Doing pushup's, crunches, squats, pull ups etc for the 5 months before I go Uni sounds like a good idea to me.

If you have anything better to say the thread is still open and I'm all ears to advice. Btw not sure if you're trolling or serious How you can tell whether I will achieve something or not from the gym based on the fact that I've decided to hold off on gym for a few months baffles me
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    Read up on Starting Strength... Apply it... Success.

Bodyweight exercises dont translate for **** to weights. I can do many a push up (50/60 easy), but when i first benched, i could just about do 35kg... start from the bar on all lifts on starting strenght and you're good to go
    Might try get some weights then as well and try this out since now quite a few people have mentioned it, although I'll have to look up the prices.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Basic exercises are weighted squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead presses and pullups or rows. MAYBE you can replace bench press with pushups for a few weeks but there's a reason it's third on the list anyway. So you wouldn't be doing basic exercises. Crunches aren't even an exercise as far as I'm concerned let alone a basic or important one.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Troll Toll)
    Basic exercises are weighted squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead presses and pullups or rows. MAYBE you can replace bench press with pushups for a few weeks but there's a reason it's third on the list anyway. So you wouldn't be doing basic exercises. Crunches aren't even an exercise as far as I'm concerned let alone a basic or important one.
    So you recommend I just do the basic exercises you mentioned above? That's fair enough because I will do those when I get to the Gym. But again, what can I do before I go Gym or should I just not bother?

I guess I didn't make it clear in my post(s) that I literally just want to know what I can do BEFORE Gym as I don't actually have the money to pay for it right now. Hence why I said Zangoose's advice was the best as it's actually something I can do right now.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I guess I didn't make it clear in my post(s) that I literally just want to know what I can do BEFORE Gym as I don't actually have the money to pay for it right now. Hence why I said Zangoose's advice was the best as it's actually something I can do right now.
    You should have said that lol. It changes everything, before it looked like you were wimping out of going to the gym.

Dont bother spending money until gym. Do body weight exercise. Use doorframes for pullups, do dips by putting feet on a table and arms on the edge of a table or something
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desijut)
    You should have said that lol. It changes everything, before it looked like you were wimping out of going to the gym.

Dont bother spending money until gym. Do body weight exercise. Use doorframes for pullups, do dips by putting feet on a table and arms on the edge of a table or something
    Yeah my bad I wasn't clear

Thanks for the advice
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    He said I should try do basic exercises before I go to the gym. To me that makes sense as I can build up a bit of strength before I sign up to a gym. I guess yeah it is kind of what I wanted to hear as I'll probably be signing up to a Gym when I go Uni this September. I was just curious as to what I could do beforehand. Doing pushup's, crunches, squats, pull ups etc for the 5 months before I go Uni sounds like a good idea to me.

If you have anything better to say the thread is still open and I'm all ears to advice. Btw not sure if you're trolling or serious How you can tell whether I will achieve something or not from the gym based on the fact that I've decided to hold off on gym for a few months baffles me
    5 months is a long time to gain strength - and I think some of that time could be invested in a gym. Start off with home workouts to get into a rhythm - I highly recommend you check out http://scoobysworkshop.com/ (the guy has a YouTube channel and he's awesome!). While you're doing home workouts (simple bodyweight and barbell exercises if you've got one) read up on Starting Strength. I'd recommending joining a gym after a few weeks to initiate the program. It's a strength training program that focuses entirely on a few barbell exercises. Basically, you go to the gym 3 times a week and cycle between 2 workouts. Off the top of my head:

Workout A:
    Squats (3x5)
    Bench (3x5)
    Deadlifts (1x5)

Workout B:
    Squats (3x5)
    Press (3x5)
    Power Cleans or Pendlay Rows (3x5)

Discard of any ego you might have and start with easy weights so that initially you can focus on form. Each workout you increase the weights slightly and, combined with a calorie surplus diet with lots of protein for muscle recovery, you should see steady strength and mass gains. I'm no expert on this stuff, but I recommend finding a big guy (or a trainer) in your gym and asking him for some advice on form and diet.

Oh, and a few random pieces of advice: buy some pushup handles. It'll put less strain on your wrists (if your wrists are weak then you might start feeling wrist pain). I recommend that if you're doing dips don't put your palms flat on a surface - use handles (e.g. on chairs) as again it'll put less strain on your wrists.

Good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoPop)
    5 months is a long time to gain strength - and I think some of that time could be invested in a gym.

Oh, and a few random pieces of advice: buy some pushup handles. It'll put less strain on your wrists (if your wrists are weak then you might start feeling wrist pain). I recommend that if you're doing dips don't put your palms flat on a surface - use handles (e.g. on chairs) as again it'll put less strain on your wrists.

Good luck!
    If I can head to the Gym early I will try but it's unlikely. Also thanks for the advice about the wrists and palms.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I can head to the Gym early I will try but it's unlikely. Also thanks for the advice about the wrists and palms.
    Never realised it was 5 months, in that time you could make impressive gains.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zangoose)
    Well the first step before gym is to ignore anything Catjaum says. He might have a massive upper body but he has literally no core and I dread to think of what his legs are like. He probably has a bicep:thigh ratio of 1:1 and if you're 6'1'' that will look pretty bad. You need to be balanced to actually look good and it sounds like you're more concerned about aesthetics.

It might be worth investing in supplements like whey protein to give you a bit of a boost seeing as you're trying to add mass.

I wouldn't head straight to the gym just yet. Start off easy with exercises that require the use of your own body weight. Push-ups are great and seeing as you're skinny, you will see quick results to start off with, provided you stick to it. Set yourself targets and whatnot and for a few weeks you can build your strength so you're in a position where you can last a proper lifting session in the gym.

Also, identify weaknesses your physique and work on the body parts that are disproportional to the rest. As I said, since you're tall you're more likely to look quite weird if your body isn't balanced. Don't forget legs and core.

All this is vague but it's a decent starting platform.
    Is jogging good for your core? I think I already know the answer, but I want to be sure. Is it the best? Say I do jogging, play football, badminton, press ups and pulls ups for a year, will that be good? I want to get to a place where I can to planches, and proper handstands. You know, press ups and all. I don't need advice on that, just about general fitness and like you've been saying, proportion.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My partner started at the gym around 3 years ago and he was a thin tallish build and he wanted to bulk up (which he has now). He started straight at the gym but obviously only lifted lighter weights and built it up from there. I remember being quite impressed with how quickly he developed within 6 months he was looked a lot bigger then when he started, after the first 6 months then it slowed down and took him around 2 years (including the first 6 month) to get to where he is now - he just maintains his body now when he goes gym. Diet is really important - if you want to see results then you have to intake the right amount of protein and carbs, not exactly sure what the numbers are but I think it has something to do with your body weight.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBlueMo0n)
    Is jogging good for your core? I think I already know the answer, but I want to be sure. Is it the best? Say I do jogging, play football, badminton, press ups and pulls ups for a year, will that be good? I want to get to a place where I can to planches, and proper handstands. You know, press ups and all. I don't need advice on that, just about general fitness and like you've been saying, proportion.
    Not really. Runners have notoriously bad cores.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    Not really. Runners have notoriously bad cores.
    OK. So what should I be doing? Maybe I was thinking along the lines of fitness. Crunches? Leg raises and sort of spins whilst doing a pull up?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    DO NOT gain fat before joining the gym in an attempt to be a bit bulkier (what I gathered from the OP).

Instead just join the gym ASAP (EVERYBODY regrets joining sooner) and try and gain around half a pound a week whilst eating adequate protein, you will make some decent gains.

EDIT: Strong bump
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Closed because thread was bumped, and I assume OP will be well into it by now!
Updated: August 2, 2012
New on TSR

Naughtiest thing you did at school

Did you get away with it or were you punished?

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

Exercise tipsNutrition advice

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.