Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I resit some GCSEs?

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently thinking about going into actuarial science or something similar and I've looked at some of the big firms, and they are all asking for BB in maths and english for GCSE, However I only have a B and a C In maths and English respectively. I've got A levels in Maths Chemistry Economics A2 and Further maths and biology AS, A*A*Aaa respectively.

Any advice? Thanks.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    you only really need to redo English. I think an A* in A level maths trumps a B at GCSE.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    why did they let you do Further Maths with a C at GCSE ? Were they insane? or did you self teach?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got asked for a 2 at my SG maths and got a 3 and I still got unconditional offers to all the unis I applied for. They'll probably only look at your A-levels in my experience Good luck!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordanS94)
    why did they let you do Further Maths with a C at GCSE ? Were they insane? or did you self teach?
    I got a B in Maths GCSE; they didn't let me take it in my first year of a levels, therefore I took it in my A2 year were they allowed me (due to an A at AS year). I ended up with an A* at Maths A Level and A in AS Further maths.

I'm talking specifically about finance jobs, they seem to have GCSE requirements, and I don't meet the English requirement, thought not all have the GCSE requirement, so just look for some advice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is there a reason behind your C grade at GCSE english? If so you could mention this by contacting them and see if they would still consider you. It shouldn't be a problem in some cases.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    B in maths is fine and no need to resit it. Besides, even if the company was looking for an A in maths GCSE, you would probably get away with the weakest mitigating circumstances given you got an A* at A-Level!

C in English is more problematic, but I don't think retaking is going to help at all. This is because companies usually only count your first take. First take just means sitting it in the time-scale you are meant to, not how many times you did retakes within that period. I would still contact HR for each company you are interested in and ask. I'm not sure what further English qualifications are out there, but there must be diplomas et al that you can do in your spare time which would trump GCSE. Shows massive commitment to self-improvement too.

Best of luck

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.