The Student Room Group

Are people scared of homosexual people?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
bu999.jpg

:smile:
Original post by xXxiKillxXx
It might

You could say that about anything. The evidence points to a person's sexuality being immutable so why would you assume any different for no reason?
Reply 122
Original post by ohirome
Er, being disgusted by something is within your control and certainly isn't a justification for homophobic attitudes.

So you can honestly say you do not find straight actions uneappealing? Just because someone finds something disgusting/unapppealing doesn't mean they disagree with it. For example, many people find foot fetishes as weird/disgusting but I doubt anyone is going to start saying they disagreeing with it.

Disgust is, to a degree, within one's control. But as for being allowed to be disgusted with something that is an entirely different matter - though I maintain anyone has the right to feel disgusted at anything. As for a justification of homophobia, it's not a good justification but it's one of the most common ones and one most people would find as a natural objection if they do not find something sexually appealing.
Reply 123
Sexual education in schools should include educating about both lesbian and gay sex and the safety that should be considered when partaking in either. That's the only sensible change that should be made. Beyond that you're making too much of a big deal about certain people being different blah blah blah and dividing people up into groups which breeds prejudice.

Also, if it isn't talked about in schools at all nearly eradicating homophobic bullying would be near to impossible.

Original post by Singh_2
I don't mind homosexual people unless they act homosexual in front of me.

Are you one of those with the mindset that all gay people should 'keep it behind looked doors'?

Original post by Ascendansy
Being heterosexual is the norm, I think everyone can agree on this (I'm not saying its right or wrong, just that being straight is desired in society more so than homosexuality). Thus being gay deviates from that very common social norm.

Normality is not about what is desired by society, it's about what is most typical, the average, the majority. So yes heterosexuality is normal in comparison to homosexuality but not for the reason you gave.

Original post by Ascendansy
Oh and for the record, homosexuality is a choice.

In the sense that yes, I could chose never to sleep with another woman ever again. However, that is the very opposite of what I want or desire so while I can choose whether to act on my homosexual desires I cannot change that I am homosexual.
Reply 124
Original post by Kiss
So you can honestly say you do not find straight actions uneappealing? Just because someone finds something disgusting/unapppealing doesn't mean they disagree with it. For example, many people find foot fetishes as weird/disgusting but I doubt anyone is going to start saying they disagreeing with it.

Disgust is, to a degree, within one's control. But as for being allowed to be disgusted with something that is an entirely different matter - though I maintain anyone has the right to feel disgusted at anything. As for a justification of homophobia, it's not a good justification but it's one of the most common ones and one most people would find as a natural objection if they do not find something sexually appealing.

What other people do with each other is up to them. I don't look at a straight couple and wince when they kiss or hug because, well, its no big deal. Taking personal issue with what two gay men or women do says more about the level of comfort you have with your own sexuality than anything else.
Reply 125
Yes, in fact i'm terrified one is hiding under my bed, just waiting for me to change my clothes X_X
Reply 126
Original post by slylee
Yes, in fact i'm terrified one is hiding under my bed, just waiting for me to change my clothes X_X

Nobody wants to see that, I can assure you. <3
Reply 127
Original post by ohirome
Nobody wants to see that, I can assure you. <3

Classic loss of humor, mostly diagnosed after extreme closet hiding, I assume you're out now?

and no i'm not insulting you, I know you're gay due to your profile.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 128
Original post by slylee
Classic loss of humor, mostly diagnosed after extreme closet hiding, I assume you're out now?

Since I was roughly 11, yep. Try again.
Reply 129
Original post by ohirome
Since I was roughly 11, yep. Try again.

You missed what I just edited about me saying "I know you're gay because I checked your profile" I wasnt trying to insult you by calling you gay before you say something else
Reply 130
Original post by slylee
You missed what I just edited about me saying "I know you're gay because I checked your profile" I wasnt trying to insult you by calling you gay before you say something else

Why would I be insulted?
Reply 131
Original post by ohirome
Why would I be insulted?

You might not agree but the word gay is used as an insult - "that's so gay' LOL YOU'RE GAY! etc No one uses the word gay as Joyful anymore.
Reply 132
NO! Why on earth would I be scared of them? As long as they are nothing like psycho Ben from Eastenders i think I wouldn't be scared of them :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest