The Student Room Group

Are people scared of homosexual people?

Poll

Are people scared of Homosexual People

In the news recently homosexual people want more rights marriages etc.. TSR on a recently poll has given its backing to gay marriages. We are starting to allow gay people to play a bigger role in society. This is all fine! :smile:

My question is to people are you scared? (I don't have opinion on the matter)If you were to have a kid would you want him to be taught about homosexuals, heterosexual,Asexual,Bisexual?

People have this mentality on here that if you're against your kids being taught this you are against people being homosexual? Is this fair? I don't know if their is any correlation between being taught it in class and people coming out of the closet.

For the people who vote No. Do you agree it should be introduce (taught) into schools? :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Other* Terrified.

Extremely.

Terrified.
Reply 2
Of all the things in the world to be scared of, surely homosexuality is right down there at the bottom of the list.
Reply 3
Ridiculous old prejudices remain. IT is proven to occur naturally in many species. In fact, if anything we should encourage homosexuality to keep the population down!! I dislike myself for wanting to further burden the earth by trying to copulate with a female all the time!
Reply 4
Original post by Skarm
Of all the things in the world to be scared of, surely homosexuality is right down there at the bottom of the list.

This is the thing though instead of people facing the issue we will just side line it. It is like a check list.... Sort the things at the top first and leave the one's which don't need any touching at the bottom...
People aren't scared, they just don't understand them
Its not fear. It's just ignorance and a lack of exposure to different kinds of people. Not just gay people all kinds. If you only leave your town to go on holiday to Spain then your not going to have a very large world view.

Then there are those that have had life experience and are homophobic regardless those people just like to hate.
I wish to see evidence that the 'homosexual symptom' is not contagious.
Reply 8
I would say that more women are scared of homosexual men than men are. Homosexual men - or those in touch with their feminine side- are a threat to the ego of those women who like to regard themselves as the most 'sensitive' sex.

On the other hand, some equally insecure men or women choose to 'love' being around homosexuals because what they see as their feyness makes them feel more strong by comparison.
(edited 12 years ago)
i think some people are scared that it's "infectious" and the gays will spread our same sex loving ways among children and vulnerable people... because of course, being gay is wrong.

these people are usually god bothering and/or idiots.

others, especially men, are scared that a gay person will fancy them and make a move... because apparently they think they're so irresistable.. and that gay people inherantly do not respect the boundaries of others? oh and it's so hard to say "sorry i'm not gay".
When i was younger I used to think there was a homosexual hiding under my bed.
I don't really understand what you're saying. What is there to be scared of? Homosexuals are just normal people, they breathe oxygen and bleed blood. I don't really understand this thread. If my future children turned out to be gay that's fine by me.
Reply 12
:rofl:

Straight male here, what exactly is there to be scared of? Are homophobes worried that they are going to bum them to death by force? Or something like this happening?

[video="youtube;1ZuK_wYrqp8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZuK_wYrqp8&list=FLLjM-2tnF4Tn8i33-ovDPrw&index=43&feature=plpp_video[/video]

Seriously though, I think that for someone to be honestly scared of homosexuals they must be deeply insecure with their own sexuality.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 13
Kids should not be taught anything about it, they should not be taught "OK this group over here are the regular, straight people, they like the opposite gender, and this group here are different, they like the same gender, and we should respect that, they have the same rights as us and are completely normal"

If they are told that people fit into these groups, and you put lines and boarders everywhere, and that one group used to be segregated, but should be equal, they will grow up with the preception people fit into groups and are different. How about they are taught nothing, so that they grow up thinking gay people are exactly the same as straight people, and the problem of segregation or viewing people that have done nothing wrong differently.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by lukas1051
I don't really understand what you're saying. What is there to be scared of? Homosexuals are just normal people, they breathe oxygen and bleed blood. I don't really understand this thread. If my future children turned out to be gay that's fine by me.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. If people start to accept homosexual people will heterosexual people start to be scared when the start introducing it their kids education. :smile:
Why would anyone be scared of homosexuals? I personally couldn't care less about other peoples' sexuality. My boss is gay; as are two relatives of mine. It doesn't change my opnion of them.
Original post by FinalMH
Sorry if I wasn't clear. If people start to accept homosexual people will heterosexual people start to be scared when the start introducing it their kids education. :smile:

Ah I get you. There is definitely still a stigma that exists today, but we're making good progress in getting rid of that. I'd say most British people would agree that homosexuals should be treated no differently to everyone else. Other countries (the USA for example) need more work.
Reply 17
Original post by prog2djent
Kids should not be taught anything about it, they should not be taught "OK this group over here are the regular, straight people, they like the same gender, and this group here are different, they like the same gender, and we should respect that, they have the same rights as us and are completely normal"

If they are told that people fit into these groups, and you put lines and boarders everywhere, and that one group used to be segregated, but should be equal, they will grow up with the preception people fit into groups and are different. How about they are taught nothing, so that they grow up thinking gay people are exactly the same as straight people, and the problem of segregation or viewing people that have done nothing wrong differently.

Thanks for answering, gives a different viewpoint :smile:

+1
Reply 18
I don't mind homosexual people unless they act homosexual in front of me.
Reply 19
Original post by lukas1051
Ah I get you. There is definitely still a stigma that exists today, but we're making good progress in getting rid of that. I'd say most British people would agree that homosexuals should be treated no differently to everyone else. Other countries (the USA for example) need more work.

Agreed. However what will happen when it will be taught in schools :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending