The Student Room Group

Racism in highschool

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Affecting.

Don't capitalise the first letter of words in the middle of sentences for no reason.

Do capitalise the first letter of words at the start of sentences.

Do capitalise the personal pronoun I.

Do use apostrophes correctly.

Whatsoever is one word.

Sorry I'm out of neg rep, but I just thought I'd let you know that it's people like you that really bring down the quality of this website.
Original post by jim100
There are some morons on this thread who are not taking racism seriously. It is a very serious matter and needs to be dealth with immediately. It is one of the worse things one human being can say to another

I went through racism and it was horrible to be called names because of yoru colour, I lost a lot of confidence as a child and didn't feel secure and safe in this world because of racism.

Your parents do need to raise it with the school and take it further. The problem is that if ths is left unattended it may get worse. These kids are just ignorant and need to be educated. Otherwise the will grow up to be racists or bullies in their adult lifes and make other people suffer.

Nowadays - most schools will not tolerate Racism and if the School does not deal deal with it then will suggest threatening going to the authorities. Otherwise only alternative is to leave but then the racists would have won.

Exactly that's what it was like for me during Highschool as well but i just got into a fight because of it and it mysterious all stopped. I think my brother is showing too much weakness to others because he doesn't take any action that's why it has worsened.
Original post by lukas1051
Sorry I'm out of neg rep, but I just thought I'd let you know that it's people like you that really bring down the quality of this website.

Haha same i ran out of Neg rep's too :L
dob them in or suck it up there isnt anything else to do really...
Original post by Setsuna-F-Seiei
Everything u said was irrelevant. Gratz on wasting 10 mins on reading my post

PS: I spelt "you" wrong, I spelled congratulations wrong. Problem? :smile:

Yes, there is indeed a problem. You appear to be barely literate.
Original post by lukas1051

It is people that cannot spell that bring down the quality of the entire English language.
Reply 26
Made an acc just to reply to this.

I was in a similiar situation to your little brother when I was his age, although I'm not a Chinese national I have ancestry from there.

First off, I'd ask your brother whether his 'friends' are truly friends or not; if he was being harassed with racist taunts, ask him whether he thinks friends should care more about his well-being and safety or whether they consider him a snitch for something which is honestly affecting him.

I would also recommend if possible for him to record the incidents on his phone or take pictures of the perpetrators if he doesn't know who they are, but it doesn't matter if he can't. Reporting them to the teachers would be the first thing I would do, and to see whether it ends there or not.

But if it doesn't, honestly I don't know how rough your area is, how strong your brother is or whether these people are truly dangerous knife-wielding gangbangers or not, but if its happening inside the premises of his school, then honestly the next time they attack your brother, tell him to trash talk back, call them a dirty scumbag or whatever, just tell your brother not to show himself as someone whos passive. If the scumbags want to start a fight, let them as long as you know theres no weapons involved, and I don't think it'll matter if your brother is the one to start the fight by throwing the first punch either, as long as they're the ones who started being aggressive and considering that they are the folks who are taunting him with racist remarks.

I mean what are they going to tell the teacher, "the person I was making racist remarks to for the past few months hit me first so I'm not the one to blame"? If your brother is with his 'friends', then now is the time to see whether they truly are friends, they won't let it turn into a 3v1. Just make sure there is atleast one teacher visibly nearby incase it turns ugly.

PS: We are a Chinese Nationality, we don't cause trouble what so ever and we would never get into fights (unless we really needed/wanted to)

This is one of the reasons why racism and attacks are so common against Asians imo. So many appear passive and weak to the perpetrators, its why it happens so often to other Asians, its a cycle. I wouldn't worry about causing trouble to punks who think its ok to attack me for no reason. If I'm the one whos about to **** someone up for yelling racist epiphets against me, I'm not the one who started the trouble, they are for attacking me in the first place. Like you said, the racist attacks stopped happening when you got in a scuffle. The same happened with me when I was in high school as well.

Edit: Reread your second paragraph, I agree with what Arianto said to move schools if the admistration honestly doesn't care at all. The teachers at the places I went to were sympathetic towards racist victims and took incidents like your brothers seriously.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 27
Tell your brother to find the leader and kick the absolute **** out of him.
You boys know kung fu right? (Sorry thats my lame joke at racist intelligence)

But seriously your brother needs to stand up for himself, it's the only thing bullies really understand.
Schools like to say they take racism seriously but it's not like they can give the bullies a good ****ing hiding in the headmasters office like they used to.

Or theres another option, your brother could cease to give a ****. When you don't care what people say you take away all their ammunition.
Reply 28
Basically, my little brother has suffered large amounts of racial abuse in his Highschool. He's in year 10 and he's very soft and doesn't get into fights and stuff. He also doesn't tell the teachers about it because he's worried if his friends think of him as a telltale. The reason why i'm concerned is because it's effecting his studies and he can't concentrate with that amount of stress in his head. Its also effecting his social life as he gets embarrassed if someone randomly yells abuse at him

I understand what the school is like, Racism in that school would only lead to small punishments from teachers like SLT for a day and thats it. I used to get racially abused but due to a fight it all stopped? The geographical area is also uncivilized and literally, full of idiots.

So i'm wondering, how would you stop it? how could i help my brother? and what can my brother actually do if he continues to get racially abused?

PS: We are a Chinese Nationality, we don't cause trouble what so ever and we would never get into fights (unless we really needed/wanted to)

You should get down there and kick some ass. That is what.
he's average you could say on a national basis.

The main reason why i'm concerned now is because i spoke to him is because he's not maximizing his performance (full report) he's capable of getting A's and B's but since it all started it's effecting him and especially that the exams period is starting it'll be an issue.

If his grades are average, then it's ok so far, but sometimes bullying makes kids work even harder. Remember- the bullies can't get to him at home, so he could always revise well at home if he has true intentions to do well in school. But, if that doesn't work, I'd personally say you should seriously consider changing schools before it's too late.
Yes, there is indeed a problem. You appear to be barely literate.

Personally, i do not give a **** about my literate. Being barely literate is irrelevant to what i'm talking about so take you and your cocky personality out of this thread and out of TSR because you really are a disgrace.
Personally, i do not give a **** about my literate. Being barely literate is irrelevant to what i'm talking about so take you and your cocky personality out of this thread and out of TSR because you really are a disgrace.

Clearly.

:rolleyes:
The school has a legal obligation to deal with racist incidents and to report them to the Local Authority

You suggest that they would do little but, if your brother does not give them the opportunity to do something then how do they know the level of the problem

So, my advice ... your brother should complain to a member of staff (Head of Year or higher) stating explicitly that racist taunts are being used ... if there is no appropriate investigation and a reduction in the abuse then your parents need to complain

First to the head teacher

Then, if nothing is done, to the Governors

Then, if nothing is done, to the Local Authority

If your brother choses not to complain then his actions endorse the behaviour of the racists and allow them to continue ... onto other students as well
Basically, my little brother has suffered large amounts of racial abuse in his Highschool. He's in year 10 and he's very soft and doesn't get into fights and stuff. He also doesn't tell the teachers about it because he's worried if his friends think of him as a telltale. The reason why i'm concerned is because it's effecting his studies and he can't concentrate with that amount of stress in his head. Its also effecting his social life as he gets embarrassed if someone randomly yells abuse at him

I understand what the school is like, Racism in that school would only lead to small punishments from teachers like SLT for a day and thats it. I used to get racially abused but due to a fight it all stopped? The geographical area is also uncivilized and literally, full of idiots.

So i'm wondering, how would you stop it? how could i help my brother? and what can my brother actually do if he continues to get racially abused?

Hey, sorry to hear about what your brother is going through :frown:

I would say the sooner you do something about this, the better. I was in a similar situation years back, although I went to the same primary school as my sister at the time, so whenever she would have these boys harass her, I would pretty much "sort" it immediately :P if there's anything I've learned when it comes to bullying in school, it's that if you don't stand up for yourself, whether it's by yourself or with a friend/sibling, things can escalate. Also the bullies would think they can get away with it, so it may occur everyday... which would make your brother's school experience pretty unbearable :/

Who are these bullies and why on earth would his friends think that he would be a telltale? If anything, they should be supporting him :/

Encourage him to speak to someone about this, whether it's a teacher or the headteacher. Also make sure he doesn't feel like a snitch for doing so, afterall he's just standing up for himself.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 34
Affecting.

Don't capitalise the first letter of words in the middle of sentences for no reason.

Do capitalise the personal pronoun I.

Whatsoever is one word.

You're a ****.
Clearly.

:rolleyes:

Do you even have friends?
Original post by aspiringlawstudent
affecting.

Do capitalise the personal pronoun i.

Whatsoever is one word.

grammar_correction_cat.jpg
grammar_nazi_RE_the_womans_role-s369x540-56390.jpg
grammar-nazi-among-us.jpg

you.. Were..asking..for..it!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending