Just get out more I think the easiest way to do this is to get a job. It forces you to become more confident really, and to talk to more people. Gradually it will raise your confidence and you will make new friends! I also suggest joining after college clubs or outside school clubs.. zumba is fun :P
I was in a similar situation to you when i was in college. The biggest thing i learnt was to become really smiley, sounds completely stupid but if you stand up kinda straight and smile at someone and then they smile back, its a lot easier to strike up a conversation and the anxiety just seems to fade, and you'll feel like you can relax a bit more.
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 17 and in college, and I'm having trouble making friends because I'm not outgoing and tend to be quiet. How do I become more outgoing and approachable or social?
Don't force yourself to talk to people though. As mentioned above the main ways to be more sociable, meet new people and get more friends is by the following:
- Get a job - Increases confidence + new friends - Job is also topic of conversation
- Start to watch football / go to stadium (if you can afford to), this will mean you have a very useful popular topic of conversation to talk about.
- Go to gigs (obv you have to find people to go with first) but 17year olds always talk about gigs.
- Go to the GYM!!! - If you go to the gym and gain some weight, people will notice, they will bring the conversation to you. "Hey Anon your looking bigger, you been working out?" and you reply, "Yeah bitch, just busting the twenty kgs out".
- Going to the gym is obviously going to make you more approachable as well, especially if your going from skinny to bulk. Girls hate to talk to scrawny people (I was once scrawny)
- Go to revision lessons (even if you don't need to) - Ask the retards if they need help and tutor them. (Not sure if you wanna associate yourself with the idiots though, some of them are cool however)