Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Process of getting a license

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm British but live abroad so the whole process of getting a NI card and then the driving license application process is a bit more bureaucratic for me. I turn 17 in May and I'll be coming back to Britain for the summer holidays, and I'll be sorting all of this out then.

As I understand it -

1) Get National Insurance Card
    2) Apply and get Provisional Driving License
    3) Take lessons
    4) Theory & Practical Tests
    5) Claim a pass and exchange provisional license for full license

Is that right?

Cheers!

DB
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do the theory test before you take lessons. When i took lessons i saw other people in cars parked up with thier instructors learning theory...
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Bungle)
    Hi,

I'm British but live abroad
    If you're not resident in GB, you may not be entitled to take a test here. Of course, this depends on the country you live and whether you hold a licence in that country.

Would it not be simpler to get your licence where you live, then drive in GB as a visitor?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...yC/DG_10035602
    Residency rules

A provisional driving licence is issued in order to enable a driver to take a driving test.
    To apply for a provisional driving licence, you must therefore be 'normally resident' in the UK for more than 185 days.

Applicants who are not UK citizens or citizens of another European Union or European Economic Area state (EU/EEA) will not be considered 'normally resident' for the purposes of a driving licence application if they:
    •do not have leave to remain in the UK
    •are in the country on a temporary basis without leave to remain either while awaiting a decision on an application to stay in the UK or following a decision refusing such an application.

To obtain a driving licence from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA), you will also need to have a permanent address in England, Scotland or Wales.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Crap.

I can't get a license here, you have to be 18.

I do however have a permanent address in England.

Am I unable to get a license then, because even though I'm British I'm not resident in the UK?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I do however have a permanent address in England.

Am I unable to get a license then, because even though I'm British I'm not resident in the UK?
    Have you been 'normally resident' in the Uk over the past 185 days?

That is the question which needs answering YES to proceed as far as I can see
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If normally resident over the last 185 days means actually living on a majority/permanent basis in the UK, then unfortunatley no.

I only return for holidays at Christmas, Easter and summer.

Bugger. Ah well.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I can't get a license here, you have to be 18.
    If you did get a licence at age 17 in the UK then you cannot use it where you are until age 18 as that is the law for that country

Also, depending on the rules in that country, you may have to exchange it to drive there or have to take the test for that country

Every country ia allowed to set their own driving ages and rules unless there is an agreement across many such as the EU.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can drive on a British license where I live abroad.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can drive on a British license where I live abroad.
    Forever?
    At what age 17 or 18?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    For six months, then you show it to the traffic department as proof and they give you a local one. Yeah, 17.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    For six months, then you show it to the traffic department as proof and they give you a local one. Yeah, 17.
    Doubt that. You have to abide by the law there. If their age limit is 18 you must be 18 to drive.

If you're 17 here and passed your test, you cant drive over to France because that would be illegal as you would be under age(18 min), even though you hold a full licence in the United Kingdom.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I know you can do it for a fact mate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know you can do it for a fact mate.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ng/DG_10023103

Get your facts straight first though mate.

You may use your GB licence for driving in other European Community/European Economic Area [EC/EEA] member states. However, you should note that while the minimum age for driving a car in GB is 17 individual member states may apply their own age restrictions for entitlements.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You can drive where I live in the middle east on a foreign dl for six months. As long as you have a full license age restrictions are fine.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 13, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.