Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is football really trying to destroy itself?

Announcements Posted on
Will you get the grades you need for uni? Get prepared today and de-stress, sign up to email alerts for course places! 02-06-2015
Waiting on IB results? Our IB results hub explains everything you need to know 01-06-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    How much longer is it going to take the footballing authorities to realise that they have a problem that could destroy the sport?

When I was a kid, I used to watch as much football as I could, didn't matter who was playing as long as it was football. Now, the "beautiful game" is almost unwatchable because of the apalling standards of refereeing. There has always been controversy in football and, generally, that's a good thing, it adds to the entertainment but that's not the same as a team playing well and being robbed of the whole match.

Wigan went to Chelsea today, scored a perfectly good goal and then had two offside goals awarded against them. The problem that football has is that this is not an isolated incident. On MotD tonight, Gary Lineker and his pundits will gripe on about those goals but football's problem is that, every week, there is at least one match in which the same problem arises. And almost every week, it is the big clubs who benefit.

I want my sport back. I want to be entertained by two teams of skilled professionals. I don't want to spend 90 minutes watching 22 blokes running around while some other bloke with a whistle ignores them and decides what result he wants.
  2. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingsholmmad)
    How much longer is it going to take the footballing authorities to realise that they have a problem that could destroy the sport?

When I was a kid, I used to watch as much football as I could, didn't matter who was playing as long as it was football. Now, the "beautiful game" is almost unwatchable because of the apalling standards of refereeing. There has always been controversy in football and, generally, that's a good thing, it adds to the entertainment but that's not the same as a team playing well and being robbed of the whole match.

Wigan went to Chelsea today, scored a perfectly good goal and then had two offside goals awarded against them. The problem that football has is that this is not an isolated incident. On MotD tonight, Gary Lineker and his pundits will gripe on about those goals but football's problem is that, every week, there is at least one match in which the same problem arises. And almost every week, it is the big clubs who benefit.

I want my sport back. I want to be entertained by two teams of skilled professionals. I don't want to spend 90 minutes watching 22 blokes running around while some other bloke with a whistle ignores them and decides what result he wants.
    Refereeing is the same standard - just move TV camerras etc now.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    thats what referees do. we should have no referees. they ruin the game and blow the whistle for anything.

we should have no rule. with both players flying into tackles and playing a mans game. referees distract players because everybodys trying to get his attention. oh look dive, book him ref, boook him or will you.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Referees are put in an impossible position, they are bound to get things wrong. Referees using video playback is the only way I can see that changing.
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    The amount of wrong decisions are probably exactly the same, the only difference is that we have more technology to prove referees wrong so it's a bigger problem.
  6. Offline

Every single decision is analysed, and critiqued from about 100 different angles. The refs do an impossible job given the age we live in.

Video reffing is almost inevitable, its just that FIFA move at a pace slower than a goddamn glacier.
  7. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Well done on failing to mention the penalty that should have been awarded to Chelsea in that game.
  8. Offline

ReputationRep:
    They fact that more and more money is been spent on football (e.g. tv money) proves you wrong. And poor referring decision has always existed. Technology will ruin football imo.
  9. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Football is no longer a sport in my eyes.

It's a scripted pseudo reality thing, bit like Made in Chelsea. All the players are real and play to their full capacity for the most part. However certain managers and the FA script the rest of it. To be fair it has led to some nice story lines and I guess it does add to the league as a whole (How interesting would City walking the PL have been?). But it really hurts us on the international stage. Players like Rooney are built up to be quality when the reality is he's no where near the quality needed, hence him bottling the Euros. Of course he once had talent, that's why he showed it early on internationally, but he hasn't been challenged in England where everything goes his way.
  10. Offline

ReputationRep:
    To be honest i'd still go and watch games no matter how crap the refs are, its the unaffordable ticket prices that are the problem.
  11. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warwickorbristol)
    Football is no longer a sport in my eyes.

It's a scripted pseudo reality thing, bit like Made in Chelsea. All the players are real and play to their full capacity for the most part. However certain managers and the FA script the rest of it. To be fair it has led to some nice story lines and I guess it does add to the league as a whole (How interesting would City walking the PL have been?). But it really hurts us on the international stage. Players like Rooney are built up to be quality when the reality is he's no where near the quality needed, hence him bottling the Euros. Of course he once had talent, that's why he showed it early on internationally, but he hasn't been challenged in England where everything goes his way.
  12. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    Yes and I'm sure the majority of Italian fans around the time of calciopoli would have said the same time, or all the Pakistani cricket fans, or the majority of cycling fans, or the majority of athletics fans.

Jesus christ. Get your head out the sand; the world isn't half as perfect as your teacher keeps telling you it is.
  13. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Yes and I'm sure the majority of Italian fans around the time of calciopoli would have said the same time, or all the Pakistani cricket fans, or the majority of cycling fans, or the majority of athletics fans.

Jesus christ. Get your head out the sand; the world isn't half as perfect as your teacher keeps telling you it is.
    I think you would be more at home on this forum http://forum.davidicke.com/

You can go discuss our reptillian overlords freely on there.
  14. Offline

ReputationRep:

Or maybe your just butthurt that City have imploded spectacularly. Fans of every team moan about some conspiracy when things are going against them.
  15. Offline

ReputationRep:
    "None are more hopelessly imprisoned than those who follow a sport under which the corrupt governing body supports their team"
  16. Offline

ReputationRep:
    Blame UEFA/FIFA for not bringing in the correct measures to ensure that the referees have adequate help when making a game-changing decision. As it's been mentioned, they have an impossible job and literally have a split-second to make or break a game for a team.

Referees have so much on their shoulders that I think it's unfair that we criticise them more than we criticise the governing bodies on what they'll do to make football fairer.

Bigger teams don't get more beneficial refereeing decisions. Deal with it.
  17. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abbadon27)
    Fans of every team moan about some conspiracy when things are going against them.
    And fans of a team where everything ever (*) has gone for them tend to just blindly spout *******s in favour of the establishment that force feed them success.

(*) ever being football from 1992 onwards. I am aware football existed before then but wouldn't want to bring too many revelations to the table at one time.
  18. Offline

ReputationRep:
    And yet it's still the best sport to watch..
  19. Offline

ReputationRep:
    And fans of a team where everything ever (*) has gone for them tend to just blindly spout *******s in favour of the establishment that force feed them success.

(*) ever being football from 1992 onwards. I am aware football existed before then but wouldn't want to bring too many revelations to the table at one time.
    Yeah, because my team have been so successful in recent years :rolleyes:
  20. Offline

ReputationRep:

Yeah, because its just United fans who don't think theres some kind of conspiracy. Every other football fan can obviously see it. Oh wait, they can't, its just you.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

New on TSR

It's IB results day tomorrow

Check out our IB results hub here & get prepared here

Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
x

Think you'll be in clearing or adjustment?

Hear direct from unis that want to talk to you

Get email alerts for university course places that match your subjects and grades. Just let us know what you're studying.

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.