France's autism treatment 'shame'

Announcements Posted on
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17583123

What do you make of this?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's disgraceful that a country that is widely considered to be civilized still considers autism as form of psychosis when nearly all modern studies show it to be a neuro-developmental problem and treating it as such yields vastly better results.

Now this is in the public eye it will probably lead to positive change but that won't do any good for the people who have already been mistreated and the French medical establishment should be made to give a full apology and put it down in writing that they were wrong treating autism as psychosis or as a mental disorder.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Stewie)
    It's disgraceful that a country that is widely considered to be civilized still considers autism as form of psychosis when nearly all modern studies show it to be a neuro-developmental problem and treating it as such yields vastly better results.

Now this is in the public eye it will probably lead to positive change but that won't do any good for the people who have already been mistreated and the French medical establishment should be made to give a full apology and put it down in writing that they were wrong treating autism as psychosis or as a mental disorder.
    I don't know the debate does not seems as clear as the article lead to think. They throw statistics with no sources...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a fan of psychoanalysis to be honest, I think it's quite out dated and largely theory based. I mean I don't know enough about it to fully comment but it does seem strange that autism is treated through psychoanalysis. Autistic children need lots of intensive and early stimulation, encouragement and routine and I don't think psychoanalysis offers them that.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    The french people are an embarassment to the 'civilised' world.

This is not news.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well this is the country where the people's idea of an enlightening revolution was to publicly execute the queen out of jealousy then imprison and abuse her child till he died.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 7, 2012
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.