Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My teacher made a fool out of me in class says i have a mental illness

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Student Finance explained - on TSR from 2 - 3pm 17-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I used to go to the university of the arts at london college of communication (LCC) as i was sitting in class mindind my own business he then goes on to say out of the blue his exact words were "Its pretty obvious here who has a mental illness" I then looked at him then another student next to him and they both started laughing.

I just want an opinion what you would think of me personally.

I usually smile to myself when im thinking of a past event which i think is funny and may seen strange to others if im in public or in the classroom. I get extremely nervous around people i dont know i usually avoid public speaking so i avoided classes will not sit next people i dont know and when i did a classroom presentation i was shaking and couldnt make eye contact with others in the room i always get involuntary head shaking or my eyebrow starts twitching when im very nervous when i meet new people go for an interview although this doesnt happen when im with well known friends or family just in public situations or strangers.

Ive been trying to control it but the more i try to control it the worse it gets

I was physically abused by my mums female friend as a child

im 20
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to come across as harsh, I don't see how this was a dig at you? Or was it really obvious it was directed at you?
    Either way, I wouldn't worry about it, at all.
    The way you feel about public speaking and stuff is very natural. I guess you're on a more extreme end of that but everybody gets nervous. Most people wouldn't ridicule or even really register that people get nervous, they're far too wrapped up in their own insecurities for that. They will think you are shy, but most people don't think less of others for that.

I'm sorry to hear about the abuse, it cant have been nice at all. Hope you've moved forward since then. You know there's always help available - whether you want to talk to a counsellor about the past, read self-help texts for charisma (they can work!), or even post your insecurities on an online forum!
    Just trying to point out that your nervousness probably doesn't seem nearly as bad to others, and that there's always help
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry for the abuse you suffered as a child. Are you sure it was directed at you? I know I've often thought someone was speaking to me and been incredibly humiliated/upset and then realised they were looking at the person next to me...

If it was directed at you then i think your lecturer was way out of line - I'm all for raising awareness of mental illness, but I think diagnosing/accusing/whatever you want to call it one of your students on the spot like that, in front of peers, is uncalled for. But that's just my opinion.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about anxiety disorders (I have social anxiety), so it sounds like some of symptoms match that - although a lot of that (fear of public speaking etc) is very common/natural. However, if you anxious about new people/humiliation because of the physical abuse then I would probably suggest seeing a counsellor/therapist (if you're still at uni you could book an appointment with the uni counsellor?). I was abused as a child too and speaking to a therapist has helped me get a bit of a handle on my anxieties

As the above poster said, a lot of people are totally oblivious to our fears and shyness.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twinlensreflex)
    I'm sorry for the abuse you suffered as a child. Are you sure it was directed at you? I know I've often thought someone was speaking to me and been incredibly humiliated/upset and then realised they were looking at the person next to me...

If it was directed at you then i think your lecturer was way out of line - I'm all for raising awareness of mental illness, but I think diagnosing/accusing/whatever you want to call it one of your students on the spot like that, in front of peers, is uncalled for. But that's just my opinion.

I'm fairly knowledgeable about anxiety disorders (I have social anxiety), so it sounds like some of symptoms match that - although a lot of that (fear of public speaking etc) is very common/natural. However, if you anxious about new people/humiliation because of the physical abuse then I would probably suggest seeing a counsellor/therapist (if you're still at uni you could book an appointment with the uni counsellor?). I was abused as a child too and speaking to a therapist has helped me get a bit of a handle on my anxieties

As the above poster said, a lot of people are totally oblivious to our fears and shyness.
    yes it was very abviously directed at me as they both looked at me before they started laughing
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    even if it wasn't directed at you it was a deeply inappropriate thing for a teacher to say and you should tell his superiors what happened.
    • 13 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sue for defamation.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you tell him what you've just posted, I'm sure he'd feel like **** afterwards. If I were you though, I'd probably just bitch about him and not report it because it would be a bit awkward afterwards.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiringlawstudent)
    Sue for defamation.
    It wasn't published...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    1/10

Anyway, have you seen someone about sorting out your issues or are you just planning on them being a problem for the rest of your life? :curious:
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    I used to go to the university of the arts at london college of communication (LCC) as i was sitting in class mindind my own business he then goes on to say out of the blue his exact words were "Its pretty obvious here who has a mental illness" I then looked at him then another student next to him and they both started laughing.

I just want an opinion what you would think of me personally.

I usually smile to myself when im thinking of a past event which i think is funny and may seen strange to others if im in public or in the classroom. I get extremely nervous around people i dont know i usually avoid public speaking so i avoided classes will not sit next people i dont know and when i did a classroom presentation i was shaking and couldnt make eye contact with others in the room i always get involuntary head shaking or my eyebrow starts twitching when im very nervous when i meet new people go for an interview although this doesnt happen when im with well known friends or family just in public situations or strangers.

Ive been trying to control it but the more i try to control it the worse it gets

I was physically abused by my mums female friend as a child

im 20
    First of all I'm sorry about the abuse you suffered. Trust me after so many years at uni I've realized that most students have public speaking anxiety, even people that may be highly sociable and appear quite self-confident.

The way you describe it seems that you have a problem with trusting people.Yet you are still very young and like other people have also mentioned, I would reccomend that you should talk to an expert and also opening up to your family and friends.

And don't get me wrong, I don't think there is something wrong with you and you are not "mentally ill", just suggesting that so you can feel better with yourself.You are still very young and the sooner you deal with your problem the better for you, because it is something you CAN get over.

On another note, your teacher's comment was TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE.He/she should be ashamed of themselves.People like that should not be allowed to teach.
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    As hard as it is, forget it. I've had some things said to me before on totally different issues, but who's laughing now, eh? Don't let it get you down!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.