Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to listen to iPhone 4 music in car?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Recently bought a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2000 car , It's got a built in CD player but is there anyway I can listen to music from my iPhone through my CD player? I had one of those Belkin FM transmitters before and they're not that great. I've heard you can buy small cables or something to plug into your iPhone but I don't really know what I'm on about to be honest.

Any help/ advice is much appreciated

Thanks
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Do you only have a cd player, or is there a tape deck as well?
    If not then realistically the only thing you could do is get a new stereo with an aux input.

I've heard stories of people breaking into their oem stereo and tapping into the speaker cables and making their own aux input line, but it sounds a bit far fetched and too much effort haha.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maccees)
    Do you only have a cd player, or is there a tape deck as well?
    If not then realistically the only thing you could do is get a new stereo with an aux input.

I've heard stories of people breaking into their oem stereo and tapping into the speaker cables and making their own aux input line, but it sounds a bit far fetched and too much effort haha.
    Hey bud, it's only got a CD, no tape deck.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecdon)
    Hey bud, it's only got a CD, no tape deck.
    If you don't want to use a FM transmitter then you will have to get a new stereo then...or put your music on CDs lol.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Probably the easiest way is to get a new head unit, shouldn't set you back too much, and can give you functionality such as music over bluetooth, proper ipod controls etc, just check before you buy.

I have one I'm looking to get rid of due to a change of cars, it has 3.5mm input which will plug straight into your iPhone's headphone jack and it also has USB for things like memory stick, you can't plug the iPhone into the USB port though.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can get a little device which makes the iPod look like a CD Changer, means you keep your OEM stereo with all the functionality of the dash controls and stuff without massive pain in the ass of making it work with looms and harnesses and stuff.

Mine is made by Dension and I think they are around £50. You just pull out the stereo, plug it in the CD Changer input (if you have one) and away you go. And the dash controls work to control your iPod!

Easy.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The other option is some Bluetooth car kits (not the things that go round your ear, the proper installed kits) have internal amps and bluetooth audio integration. I've got a Parrot mki9100 and that's got 3.5mm jack, iPod and USB inputs as well as Bluetooth. It's not bad, though it's not exactly audiophile quality or excessively loud (it starts clipping badly if you try and turn it up too much). It's also a good idea to start the music before you start moving, it can be a bit temperamental! (I think the firmware needs updating).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'd go for an aux in cable for your current stereo to be honest. Pretty sure you can get them for most relatively new ford stereos and come resale time an OEM cable is more attractive than an aftermarket stereo (assuming of course it's a cheap halfords option).
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can buy on ebay small converters for £30 whcih you attach to the the radio on the back, then drill a small hole to thread the new aux wire through. I used this on my Clio couple of years a go. However its a hassle and although it worked great i'd advise just getting a new stereo. you can pick an aux one up on ebay for £40 easy
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Get a iphone holder and just put it on loudspeaker in the car ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dignityinclay)
    Get a iphone holder and just put it on loudspeaker in the car ?
    LOL
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPhone-Trans...3914238&sr=1-1

Get something like this. Any FM transmitter that says it will work with your phone should be fine.

I've had one and they're great. They plug into the bottom of your phone and use that power (generally).

You choose a frequency where you can't really pick up any other stations (scan stations, and where you find a big gap, choose one in the middle of the gap), and set the transmitter and radio to that station, and out comes your music. Wireless and easy.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.