Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Why has God decided to show up only recently?

Announcements Posted on
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    If we're talking in terms of christianity: ( I was raised a christian, and this is what i would answer if i was talking as a christian)

God did intervene many times before jesus, if we look at the old testament, then we see that God intervened in big ways- like Moses, and Noah etc- Just because he didn't send himself down directly doesn't mean he wasn't at all intervening, he was simply using prophets to deliver his messages. But as humans we don't listen, we are greedy, so it seemed like he stopped talking and intervening, the truth is- we just weren't listening. He tried to help us earlier we were just ignorant From a Christian perspective.

Okay, so what about the ancients sins- he payed for everyones sins, and allowed us to no longer be seperate from God, because people were in a condition that allowed them to do more evil...

God works in mysterious ways. In my christian views..

Okay so, I don't really belong to a denomination now- well I go to church to respect family, but i wouldn't call myself a (whatever denomination they belong to) , I don't really follow the biblical books because I think they're too altered personally, and they're not very suited to modern times. However, I believe there is a transcendent entity that caused our existence, I believe there is no way of disproving his existence or for proof, buti have faith and the belief that we are not here by chance- surely we must have a purpose- we can't be alone.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    you poor deluded soul..

Since when do atheists believe in the human soul?:confused:

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo)

Since when do atheists believe in the human soul?:confused:

who said i was an athiest?
    besides its a figure of speech.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    who said i was an athiest?
    besides its a figure of speech.
    Me.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantcurlyhairtoo)
    Me.
    well then it must be true, what else do you know about me that i am unaware of?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayshizzle)
    I think you're missing my point. The Abrahamic religions are all "linked", Muslims especially believe Christianity and Judaism to be former, corrupted versions of Islam. If God had sent down numerous prophets beforehand why aren't the other older religions similar to Christianity or whatever the same way the Christianity is similar to Judaism and Islam?

Again, what about the oldest religions? Hinduism, and the Chinese traditional religions do not resemble Judaism, Christianity or Islam at all. So how is it that it is those three that are so similar, and all the rest of the religions are completely different? Was God preaching a different message to different people?
    Probably 'trial and error' :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    well then it must be true, what else do you know about me that i am unaware of?
    I couldn't possibly discuss that before the 9pm watershed! :mmm:

• 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChunkyFudgeLover101)

God did intervene many times before jesus, if we look at the old testament, then we see that God intervened in big ways- like Moses, and Noah etc- Just because he didn't send himself down directly doesn't mean he wasn't at all intervening, he was simply using prophets to deliver his messages. But as humans we don't listen, we are greedy, so it seemed like he stopped talking and intervening, the truth is- we just weren't listening. He tried to help us earlier we were just ignorant From a Christian perspective. [/SIZE]
    That's the whole point of this thread though - all of the people that you mentioned came from a very small patch of the Middle East. Why did God love the Jews so much that he gave them all the prophets?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Mario 64)
    I'm not bashing anyone's religion, I'm genuinely wondering

According to Wikipedia, "Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago." Anywhere else will give you something similar too.

Given that this is true, why did God only decide to send down Christ only 2000 years to die for everyone's sins?

What about the sins of the dudes that lived 48,000 - 200,000 years ago?

Also, out of all places, why did God choose the middle east out of all places for the likes of Christ and Prophet Muhammad?

Why not choose the Amazon Rainforest or something?
    Because according to many Christians, the world was only created 6-10,000 years ago.

Of course, this also means that those people who weren't Jews who lived before Christ in those previous years would be condemned to hell, but I mean, they couldn't have been THAT important, could they?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not bashing anyone's religion, I'm genuinely wondering

According to Wikipedia, "Anatomically modern humans originated in Africa about 200,000 years ago, reaching full behavioral modernity around 50,000 years ago." Anywhere else will give you something similar too.

Given that this is true, why did God only decide to send down Christ only 2000 years to die for everyone's sins?

What about the sins of the dudes that lived 48,000 - 200,000 years ago?

Also, out of all places, why did God choose the middle east out of all places for the likes of Christ and Prophet Muhammad?

Why not choose the Amazon Rainforest or something?
    Because the world is only 10,000 years old http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young_Earth_creationism

Although, mocking aside, the middle east seems like a perfect place for religion to kick off, as it was the place where pottery and farming and stuff like that was invented. You could say it was the most sophisticated part of the world. Maybe storytelling started there too?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dgeorge)
    Because according to many Christians, the world was only created 6-10,000 years ago.

Of course, this also means that those people who weren't Jews who lived before Christ in those previous years would be condemned to hell, but I mean, they couldn't have been THAT important, could they?
    Source please.
    A shocking number of Americans are Young Earth Creationists, but globally I don't think too many Christians do. Especially in places where they have education.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSoldier)
    That's the whole point of this thread though - all of the people that you mentioned came from a very small patch of the Middle East. Why did God love the Jews so much that he gave them all the prophets?
    You mean he gave the Jews all the profits?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stroppyninja)

Although statistically in the UK, Jewish people don't have as much influence as the stereotypes depict...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ahaha xD
    • 20 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandyAndy)
    Probably 'trial and error' :rolleyes:
    Well apparently God wasn't capable of getting it done correctly the first time so...
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Source please.
    A shocking number of Americans are Young Earth Creationists, but globally I don't think too many Christians do. Especially in places where they have education.
    The vast majority of this research is carried out in America - therefore there isn't much outside of America to measure the level

http://www.gallup.com/poll/27682/one...ally-true.aspx

However, this poll says that one third of their respondents believe that the Bible is LITERALLY TRUE.

So there's your source.

While creationism is waning, I can assure that in the less developed areas - e.g. Africa, some parts of Asia, where Christianity has been introduced 1-2 centuries ago, there are many more people who believe in Creationism and that the Bible is literally true
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KCosmo)
    Not existing probably has something to do with it
    :yep:
    • 27 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaintSoldier)
    I don't know- Maybe they were the only people who at the time followed his wishes.
    I dont know, I'm not God. I can't answer that question. Maybe someone else can answer.
    I though the point of the thread was why he decided to show up recently, my bad I must've read it wrong.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    oh look, a flying pig!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tumblr_ls6cw3hdc51qajl3go2_400.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	140337
    Attached Thumbnails
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2352824470_87910c2571.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	84.8 KB 
ID:	140336  

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.