Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What kind of drive is my car? RWD, FWD or AWD ?

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
TSR Movie Madness in in to the final 16! The group winners battle it out for the overall title! 15-07-2014
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Ok. You don't get that on non-RWD cars right?
    Its not required no. It is where the prop shaft lives.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AviationVortex)
    I did read that getting under your car you can determine if the power is transmitted to the rear wheels or not.. and even looking at the positioning of the engine under the bonnet... but I'm not too sure I understand either of those concepts enough to apply them :/

Thanks!
    If you get under the rear of a RWD/AWD car then you would probably be able to see the differential, if there isn't one then it's not got any drive to the rear wheels. Looking under the bonnet will give you an indication if the car has drive to the rear wheels as well because in a RWD car the engine is mounted longitudinally with the drive shaft heading back along the car whereas in FWD cars (and some AWD) the engine is mounted transversly for better packaging.

Also if you're getting wheelspin at all then I'm fairly sure your car isn't AWD as you need a ridiculous amount of power to achieve 4 wheel burnouts. My housemate has a 4Motion Golf with a 2.8l VR6 in it which can't manage wheelspin at all so it's fairly safe to say your car is FWD.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iwantcheese5)
    If you get under the rear of a RWD/AWD car then you would probably be able to see the differential, if there isn't one then it's not got any drive to the rear wheels. Looking under the bonnet will give you an indication if the car has drive to the rear wheels as well because in a RWD car the engine is mounted longitudinally with the drive shaft heading back along the car whereas in FWD cars (and some AWD) the engine is mounted transversly for better packaging.

Also if you're getting wheelspin at all then I'm fairly sure your car isn't AWD as you need a ridiculous amount of power to achieve 4 wheel burnouts. My housemate has a 4Motion Golf with a 2.8l VR6 in it which can't manage wheelspin at all so it's fairly safe to say your car is FWD.
    Well I just had a look, the engine is placed so that if I'm facing the bonnet, when I open it the belt is vertical to me... so this is definately a FWD as this belt is directly connected to the front wheels.

Thanks guys!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have a Mitsubishi Galant GLX 2.0L which was first registered in 2000... I'm almost certain it's not FWD because I do tend to get quite a lot of smoke from the rear wheels when I take off with a wheelspin launch... here's a link to a pic of my car:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6#post36873136

Read post #55

So I was wondering... does anyone else know?

I did read that getting under your car you can determine if the power is transmitted to the rear wheels or not.. and even looking at the positioning of the engine under the bonnet... but I'm not too sure I understand either of those concepts enough to apply them :/

Thanks!
    Fairly sure them things are RWD. The more pressing question is how can you afford such a thing for your first car?!?!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Fairly sure them things are RWD. The more pressing question is how can you afford such a thing for your first car?!?!
    I got the car itself for £800 from one of my dad's work buddies =D
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I got the car itself for £800 from one of my dad's work buddies =D
    I'm talking in terms of insurance and running costs, the most i can afford is a slightly modified 1.6 Ford Focus!!!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    I'm talking in terms of insurance and running costs, the most i can afford is a slightly modified 1.6 Ford Focus!!!!
    I got lucky with the insurance... I'm on a traders-like insurance, I can drive any car in my Dad's company.. and it's not too expensive.. I don't know the name for it.. do you happen to know?

It drinks fuel like a bitch though, like £80 every 2 weeks.. it's slowly draining my work money!

How old are you? and you know what.. I would not mind a 1.6L Ford Focus... what kinda mods do you have?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    It's not RWD, They only ever made them FWD and 4WD and the only version to have 4WD was the 2.5L Twin Turbo VR-4.
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Ok. You don't get that on non-RWD cars right?
    depends some front wheel drive cars use a shallow 'transmission tunnel' as a floor stiffener and also as convenient place for various wires, cables and pipes to run to the front ...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 1/2 years old and my Focus is a black 52 reg 5 door. The mods are: Uprated Anti-Roll Bars, Springs, Brakes, wheels, a big bore exhaust, sound system and a large Sub-Woofer in the boot. Its Around £1500 a year to insure on Aviva with all mods declared, parents on it as named drivers (although all the documents are in my name), and living in the middle of the Devon countryside (one of the lowest risk areas in the country) i spend roughly £50-70 a week on fuel (although i do work a lot for my dads farm contracting business as well as working at a local hotel so i do at least 200 miles a week, and i do drive quite fast as well). In all its the ideal car for what i need; big enough for mates, fast, OK on fuel and reliable.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    I'm 18 1/2 years old and my Focus is a black 52 reg 5 door. The mods are: Uprated Anti-Roll Bars, Springs, Brakes, wheels, a big bore exhaust, sound system and a large Sub-Woofer in the boot. Its Around £1500 a year to insure on Aviva with all mods declared, parents on it as named drivers (although all the documents are in my name), and living in the middle of the Devon countryside (one of the lowest risk areas in the country) i spend roughly £50-70 a week on fuel (although i do work a lot for my dads farm contracting business as well as working at a local hotel so i do at least 200 miles a week, and i do drive quite fast as well). In all its the ideal car for what i need; big enough for mates, fast, OK on fuel and reliable.
    Sounds like a dream, I want to modify this car but my Dad keeps saying that that's too much work for a car like this? I personally think this is a perfect car to play around with an improve! But he has his own opinions
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a dream, I want to modify this car but my Dad keeps saying that that's too much work for a car like this? I personally think this is a perfect car to play around with an improve! But he has his own opinions
    Just do it, my parents didn't necessarily approve of me buying a modified car as my 4th car but hey, its my money and my life at the end of the day,
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    Just do it, my parents didn't necessarily approve of me buying a modified car as my 4th car but hey, its my money and my life at the end of the day,
    What kind mods though! Have you got a picture of your car? I wanna see how it looks!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Not yet but if i can find the time in the near future i'll probably take some and PM them to you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What kind mods though! Have you got a picture of your car? I wanna see how it looks!
    Also it may take some as computers and technology in general aren'y my strong points
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you want to mod your car have a look for an owners club for your car, they are usually a great help and can give you some ideas. One thing that springs to mind is a sports exhaust, which will probably be cheaper than a replacement one from mitsubushi...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I just found this on Ebay, it looks very much like this only its a 5 dr and a 52 plate.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-6-Ford-F...item4ab636a23f
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M4LLY)
    I just found this on Ebay, it looks very much like this only its a 5 dr and a 52 plate.
    If you've tried to put a picture on it hasn't worked.

I had a 1.8L TDCi 5 door 02 Plate focus as my first car, shame I crashed it within a month of having it
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arron17)
    If you've tried to put a picture on it hasn't worked.

I had a 1.8L TDCi 5 door 02 Plate focus as my first car, shame I crashed it within a month of having it
    I haven't, its a link to a similar car on ebay but it didn't post it first time for some reason.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Your favourite film of the year?

For you personally what has been the best 2014 movie

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.