Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

if intelligent life on another planet was discovered what would happen to religeon

Announcements Posted on
Become part of the Welcome Squad! Apply here! 28-10-2014
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    You hear voices in your head. Claim to talk to imaginary beans that are not there. You claim a book of superstition called the bible which have contents in it that sound more like a harry potter book then a book of wisdom.

My parents and a few friends of mine are religeous
    When i question them about their faith this is part of the response i get.

Actually we are spiritual souls but we are in human body.. we are from a spiritual world"

What proof is there in that. Were is the soul behind my balls?

Notice how if I can't understand or explain something I just say god did it. without looking for the real truth. Basically sticking your head in the ground.

What would you think would happen to religeon if intelligent life was discovered on a planet in the distant future.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    You do know that some religions SUPPORT the claim that there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe...
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There may be life elsewhere, but it will not be intelligent, as God chose to send his only son to save mankind.
    • 9 followers

ReputationRep:
    They would just adapt and change it by saying god has a plan for them and us
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    You hear voices in your head. Claim to talk to imaginary beans that are not there. You claim a book of superstition called the bible which have contents in it that sound more like a harry potter book then a book of wisdom.

My parents and a few friends of mine are religeous
    When i question them about their faith this is part of the response i get.

Actually we are spiritual souls but we are in human body.. we are from spiritual world"

What proof is there in that. Were is the soul behind my balls?

Notice how if I can't understand or explain something I just say god did it. without looking for the real truth. Basically sticking your head in the ground.

What would you think would happen to religeon if intelligent life was discovered on a planet in the distant future.
    Let's just hope they are intelligent enough to know how to spell 'religion'
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why should it change?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playa10)
    Let's just hope they are intelligent enough to know how to spell 'religion'
    i know how to spell it i was just typing fast and couldnt be bothered go through it thoroughly and correct it
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing, if anything it'd reinforce their belief.

People will probably interpret a passage by claiming it meant 'there are intelligent alien lifeforms beyond planet Earth'.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing would happen to religion. I dont think any religion confirms or denies extra terrestrial life so why would it be affected by it?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    i know how to spell it i was just typing fast and couldnt be bothered go through it thoroughly and correct it
    That's a lie. You spelt it wrong multiple times.

You can still correct them
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why cant god have some projects on the side? lol

Eventually I believe that people will look back and laugh about how some people thought there was no intelligent life outside this world just how we laugh now about how people years ago thought the earth was flat. Probability shows that it is very unlikely that there is no intelligent life elsewhere.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it would evolve, just like its done throughout the last century or so whenever there has been significant scientific or moral elightenment
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I raged every time I saw 'religeon'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be a serious blow to many of the major monotheistic religions. They are undeniably geocentric and anthropocentric, the holy books detail the creation of Earth, they tell stories that happen on Earth to people, the imply that human beings are special, that we have souls and God has a plan for us because he watches us. I think the existence of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe would be some serious evidence to suggest that the major religions are wrong, although no doubt they'll fabricate something, interpret a vague passage maybe, to fit the situation. Honestly, I think the mere fact that we live in such a massive expansive universe, in which we have no special place or purpose, is enough evidence to suggest that we as tiny insignificant human beings really have no idea about any Gods that may or may not exist.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    That's a lie. You spelt it wrong multiple times.

You can still correct them
    Also 'e' is no where near 'i' on a standard qwerty keyboard. So he can't claim his fingers slipped anyway.

And OP nothing will happen to religon.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Otkem)
    For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

There may be life elsewhere, but it will not be intelligent, as God chose to send his only son to save mankind.
    What's that got to do with anything? I'm pretty sure that there were intelligent people about before Jesus.

I suspect what a lot of religions would do is say that God didn't mention alien life because he didn't feel we needed to know about it. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the Bible or the Qur'an say anywhere that God only created life on Earth.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Also 'e' is no where near 'i' on a standard qwerty keyboard. So he can't claim his fingers slipped anyway.

And OP nothing will happen to religon.
    your probably going to change this later but you spelt religion wrong, see what i did there?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    your probably going to change this later but you spelt religion wrong, see what i did there?
    He missed a letter, very easy to do if you only tap the key lightly or have a stuck key. You managed to replace the correct letter with one on the other side of keyboard, multiple times.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    *You're*
    No, not really. I made that typo once not multiple times, unlike someone I know. But you replaced 'e' with an 'i' which can't possibly be a typo since they aren't even closely located. And like someone else said I missed out one letter.

On the other hand your use of the word 'your' instead of 'you're' is an obvious typo.

Edit: I'm not normally a grammar nazi btw, so can we get back on topic please.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgesundae)
    He missed a letter, very easy to do if you only tap the key lightly or have a stuck key. You managed to replace the correct letter with one on the other side of keyboard, multiple times.
    Said it much better than me. (I'm referring to my post above).

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 14, 2012
New on TSR

Halloween 2014

Join the TSR Halloween party...if you dare!

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.