Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

When can I start learning?

Announcements Posted on
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    This is such a noobish question.

I'm 16 at the moment, I turn 17 in October and wondered when I can take my theory exam and like, when to start learning for it? If I want to take my test as soon as possible really.

Thaaank you.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can on the day you turn 17 if you really wanted to
    A lot of people book their first driving lesson for on their 17th birthday, just find someone, ring them up about 2-3 weeks before your birthday and they'll probably have space for you anytime that day.

As for your theory you can start learning now if you want. Buy a CD off ebay/amazon (make sure it is the new 2012 one) then just work through the questions and practice your hazaard perception. There is plently of time for you to learn if you start now and took it in october though, tbh you won't really need to start learning until september but if you have more time now there is no harm in learning, good luck

Edit - I would recommend taking your theory, or at least starting, it before you have lesssons. It just makes you more aware of things once you're on the road. But for me I learnt at the same time and some of the things I didn't understand just reading about made more sense when my driving instructor explained them to me so I rememebered them for the test. Make sure your instuctor doesn't end up spending half the lesson teaching you theory if you decide to do that though, mine spent 5 mins at the beginining going over a mock test that I had answered and explained any I got wrong.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    You can start learning on your 17th birthday and do your theory test anytime after you turn 18. Start learning for.it over the summer holidays and then take it straight away before a levels start to get in the way!

You can apply for your provisional about 6 weeks before your birthday and I'd advise you to get the form from the post office since if you fill it in online they just post you the form and make you fill it in!

If you know of any areas of private land maybe ask your parents to take you and let you practice stopping and starting before your birthday as this will really speed things up with learning- just make sure it is private land and you have the owners permission to stay legal!

Good luck
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boo_x)
    You can on the day you turn 17 if you really wanted to
    A lot of people book their first driving lesson for on their 17th birthday, just find someone, ring them up about 2-3 weeks before your birthday and they'll probably have space for you anytime that day.

As for your theory you can start learning now if you want. Buy a CD off ebay/amazon (make sure it is the new 2012 one) then just work through the questions and practice your hazaard perception. There is plently of time for you to learn if you start now and took it in october though, tbh you won't really need to start learning until september but if you have more time now there is no harm in learning, good luck

Edit - I would recommend taking your theory, or at least starting, it before you have lesssons. It just makes you more aware of things once you're on the road. But for me I learnt at the same time and some of the things I didn't understand just reading about made more sense when my driving instructor explained them to me so I rememebered them for the test. Make sure your instuctor doesn't end up spending half the lesson teaching you theory if you decide to do that though, mine spent 5 mins at the beginining going over a mock test that I had answered and explained any I got wrong.
    Ah, wow, thank you! (':
    So if I decided to take my theory exam shortly after turning 17, and then booking a driving test for after, that would be alright too?
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WanaBdoctor)
    You can start learning on your 17th birthday and do your theory test anytime after you turn 18. Start learning for.it over the summer holidays and then take it straight away before a levels start to get in the way!

You can apply for your provisional about 6 weeks before your birthday and I'd advise you to get the form from the post office since if you fill it in online they just post you the form and make you fill it in!

If you know of any areas of private land maybe ask your parents to take you and let you practice stopping and starting before your birthday as this will really speed things up with learning- just make sure it is private land and you have the owners permission to stay legal!

Good luck

If I wanted to, could I sit the theory at 17 rather than 18?
    I don't really get the whole provisional liscience stuff? What like is it - if that makes snese?
    Ah, thank you very much!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Nothing to stop you having practical practice on private grounds even if that means learning how everything works as well as stopping and starting
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zigggyy.)
    If I wanted to, could I sit the theory at 17 rather than 18?
    I don't really get the whole provisional liscience stuff? What like is it - if that makes snese?
    Ah, thank you very much!
    Yep, you can do the theory at 17, you don't have to have even had any driving lesson, just book it through the dvla website.
    Your provisional license is green and like a credit card. It has a pic of you on it and dob, address etc and an 'L' in the corner to show you're a learner. You need to have it before you start having driving lessons on real roads. It coats £50 to get again, just get the form from the post office. Just ask if this doesn't answer your question, I'm not entirely sure what you mean sorry :/
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yep, you can do the theory at 17, you don't have to have even had any driving lesson, just book it through the dvla website.
    Your provisional license is green and like a credit card. It has a pic of you on it and dob, address etc and an 'L' in the corner to show you're a learner. You need to have it before you start having driving lessons on real roads. It coats £50 to get again, just get the form from the post office. Just ask if this doesn't answer your question, I'm not entirely sure what you mean sorry :/
    Ah, I see! I get it now, thank you!

(Original post by ROG.)
    Nothing to stop you having practical practice on private grounds even if that means learning how everything works as well as stopping and starting
    Ah, thank you, shall take that into consideration.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:

Good luck
    I'm sorry to be picky but the information you have given is wrong. You can, as others have said, take your theory test on your 17th birthday if you want to. You can apply for your provisional 3 months before your birthday, not 6 weeks.

There are other conditions relating to private land and there are also other conditions relating to disabled drivers which may or may not be relevant to the OP.

Finally, if you apply online using a Government Gateway Id, you do not need to send anything off to the DVLA. There are conditions which apply though.

p.s., This is not a comprehensive answer but it is largely accurate in the information that it gives. Waiting to be shot down in flames.........
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Like the other person said, there's nothing to stop you learning on private land at any age. There are plenty of driving schools that offer lessons (mainly for fun, though) for 11 year-olds and older - I think the only requirement is that your feet can reach the pedals.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Like the other person said, there's nothing to stop you learning on private land at any age. There are plenty of driving schools that offer lessons (mainly for fun, though) for 11 year-olds and older - I think the only requirement is that your feet can reach the pedals.
    Quentin wilson did a programme on just that

Personally, starting before age 15/16 is generally a waste of time because the thinking is very different before that age

What I would like to see is a small part of the school cirriculum devoted to the theory and safety aspects of driving along with discussion groups where the tutor takes a far back seat

Imagine a discussion group of 16 year old students where just 1 or 2 have an unsafe attitude - they will have the rest of the group as peer pressure onto them which is far more effective than some tutor or old git like me saying it is unsafe

The greater majority of students become drivers very soon after leaving so why oh why is this not taught as a life subject????????????

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 8, 2012
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered learning to drive

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.