Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Burma?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning on travelling to Burma with a friend this summer. But from what people have told me, it's not a very safe place and this has put me off a little. I know almost nothing about the place, so am relying on information from others.

I'm travelling with a person who is considerably older than myself and has done a LOT of travelling before, so I feel I would be in very safe hands. But still, what are your opinions on the country? I'm 20 and have travelled within europe before, but have never been to asia.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    its safe as houses to visit. ignore the propaganda, and use your common sense.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Wow! I wish I had the chance to go to Asia. For the best advice, look on the foreign office website, as they give relevant and up to date advice.

Also, if the person you are travelling with has experience, you are in good hands and they are unlikely to take you somewhere where they would be placing you in danger

Have a nice trip!

http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...-oceania/burma
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harvie_316)
    its safe as houses to visit. ignore the propaganda, and use your common sense.
    Common sense is well and dandy, but when i know NOTHING about the place, it's hard to judge from one's own knowledge.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Many places are restricted, as in you have to be with a guide to go there.

You have to stay in government hotels / approved places.

Apart from that. Its so safe. Because everyone is Buddhist there is virtually no crime. Also the regime punishes people SEVERLY if they do anything to tourists, because they need revenue.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Burma has had a rocky past with terrorism but then a lot of countries have been hit with it in the last few years. I will be going to Burma possibly next year during my travels into Asia. If you want to go there then go, Just like with any other foreign country keep your wits about you and don't do anything you wouldn't do back in your home country. Traveling with someone else is a very smart idea and will be a lot safer. Knowledge is power , read into the country your going to and check for any cultural rules and regulations along with areas that would be more susceptible to crime. I've heard its not a good idea to be close to the neighboring countries borders due to armed groups.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    Common sense is well and dandy, but when i know NOTHING about the place, it's hard to judge from one's own knowledge.
    read the internet. I wasent being scarstic either in my post if it come across as that.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    1. Stay in local run guesthouses and use local run transport as much as possible. This stops your tourist dollar getting to the corrupt government.

2. Take plenty of crisp, clean, dollar bills as there are no ATM's out there.

3. You will need to fly into Yangon as you cannot cross the borders like you would if visiting Cambodia/Thailand/Laos etc...

http://www.tourismtransparency.org/n.../should-you-go
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people travel there, and recently in particular they've been encouraging tourism (sustainable tourism) - go, it's the only country left in the area that hasn't been over run by the tourist trail. Whether that's good or bad, it'll be a unique one to visit.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    yuh im literally in burma
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Burma isn't considered any less safe than any other country in the region. Not many people go there because of the oppressive and secretive government, but that doesn't make it unsafe.

Keep your eye on the news though because big things are happening there at the moment. They could be on the verge of an historic shift in leadership, but equally the military may have other ideas. It would be amazing to be caught in the middle of the former, the latter not so much.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think I am going to do 7 nights in Myanmar (Burma) in October later this year, as part of a wider temple-exploring travel which will also include Angkor Wat in Cambodia, and the temples of Yogyakarta in Indonesia.

Anyway, in Burma, I will be staying in Yangon the capital for 2 nights, Bagan for 3 nights, and at Ngapali Beach for 2 nights. I am not looking forward to travelling on local airlines in that country, as they are notorious for being death traps. But whatever.

Burma is an exciting countryt to visit, still off of the beaten track for many travellers.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by klipsan)
    I'm planning on travelling to Burma with a friend this summer. But from what people have told me, it's not a very safe place and this has put me off a little. I know almost nothing about the place, so am relying on information from others.

I'm travelling with a person who is considerably older than myself and has done a LOT of travelling before, so I feel I would be in very safe hands. But still, what are your opinions on the country? I'm 20 and have travelled within europe before, but have never been to asia.
    Hi there,
    I have just seen your post about your plan to visit Burma.I am from Burma and feel free to pm me anything you want to know about Burma.I mean if you still have not travelled to my country or if you still have plans to travel to Burma.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: July 17, 2012
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.