Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Death of cinemas

Announcements Posted on
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    with cost of cinemas hiking up and cost of tickets why go anymore

also why do film makers keep making stuff thought there is no money anymore and people can't afford to make stuff anymore

also why keep making films no body goes to cinema anymore it all online and torrent s

cinemas no need of them
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I agree, £9.70?! No thankyou.
    Id rather break the law

although, if its a movie which is going to be enjoyed on the big screen eg action movies, I do tend to go, long live student discount -.-
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Going to the cinema and watching something on your computer is a totally different experience. Plenty of people still go to the cinema for a day out etc.

Sometimes it's difficult to download/watch specific films online, which are occasionally screened in independent cinemas. I'm a stickler for quality too. I'd rather pay a couple of quid to watch a film in the cinema and see what the directors etc. intended, than miss out on all that on some crappy rip.
    Also, with the internet there is a lot of 'tailored advertising,' so to speak. We click on the related links put there depending upon our browsing history. It gives us what we already know or like. I suppose a lot of this can be applied to real life too and I'm probably not getting my point across... Whatevvver.

But I agree, the prices are pretty steep in most places, and I'm pretty stingy.
    • 30 followers

ReputationRep:
    Given the hundreds of millions made by films these days I think people are still going to see films.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love going to the cinema, but I don't go and see everything any more.
    • 45 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 01jtiong)
    with cost of cinemas hiking up and cost of tickets why go anymore

also why do film makers keep making stuff thought there is no money anymore and people can't afford to make stuff anymore

also why keep making films no body goes to cinema anymore it all online and torrent s

cinemas no need of them
    Nobody goes to the cinema anymore? Have you seen how well The Hunger Games has done? :lolwut:
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    Obviously somebody is going to the cinema if they're still making a pile of cash.

Torrents? You are vermin that wants something for nothing. I hate that attitude.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I only ever go to the cinema on a Wednesday or on the day something comes out if I really want to see it (but that is not very otfen! As I get orange wednesday so I go with a friend and we pay half the ticket each so our usual £6.50 each becomes £3.25 and becomes not nearly as expensive. This is one of the only reasons I have not moved to another phone company
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is ridiculously expensive now-a-days but I really, really love to go and would honestly rather sacrifice a night out than my monthly cinema trip. I will admit to sneaking in a bottle of water in my bag though!

Nothing beats the cinema...the sound quality, picture quality, getting sucked into a great plot...you can't get that at home with access to a pause button.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I guess your point is kind of valid for films that have been released on DVD and can be ripped easily that way but typically people go to the Cinema to watch films that have recently come out rather than watch the "my2cents"p trash quality you will find online. Also they would prefer to watch it when it comes out rather than 2 years later.

However it is a possibility to expect to see blockbuster films being available on-line through companies like Netflix or Lovefilm in conjunction with their cinema release. Whether or not that will 'kill' cinema's is another matter.
    • 56 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaggiee)
    Id rather break the law

although, if its a movie which is going to be enjoyed on the big screen eg action movies, I do tend to go, long live student discount -.-
    Your kidding me:confused:£2.95-£3.50 per ticket.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lulamae)
    It is ridiculously expensive now-a-days but I really, really love to go and would honestly rather sacrifice a night out than my monthly cinema trip. I will admit to sneaking in a bottle of water in my bag though!

Nothing beats the cinema...the sound quality, picture quality, getting sucked into a great plot...you can't get that at home with access to a pause button.
    :ditto:
    Yeah exactly. Try watching one of the latest 3D films at home and getting the same experience...it doesn't happen! Prepare to spend thousands of pounds to try replicate the surround sound, high quality video and 3D vision ... and then you also have to wait for the films to come out on DVD or Blu-ray etc.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Jealous of my £1.90 orange wednesdays student pricing?
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Nobody goes to the cinema anymore? Have you seen how well The Hunger Games has done? :lolwut:
    What a pile of crap that film was.

OP you just need to be smart about these things. Go to the cheapest cinema you can find, use Orange Wednesdays and your student discount. And sneak food in, obvs.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    I would go more often if it wasn't for the price, I'm not with Orange. My local cinema is Odeon, and I was charged like £9-10 something for 3D Wrath of the Titans yesterday, even with student discount.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I like the cinema but is it just me or does it always seem to be a case of all the good films coming out at once and then there are months without anything decent being on at all!

I wouldn't mind seeing Titanic in 3D because it's one of my favourite films and I was too young to see it when it came out at the cinema originally. I'd purely be paying for the 3D cinematic experience though because I have it on DVD (and video somewhere I think) and I practically know the entire script off by heart.

Going to a cinema can be a cheap evening out really and if you get student discount on a ticket for a good film then you're getting your money's worth in my opinion.

The thing that bumps it up is the price of the bloody popcorn, sweets, crisps, drinks etc. You get 2 drinks, popcorn and a bag of sweets and unless you buy one of those kiddy bags with the fruit shoot in it (not really the thing to do on a date) it somehow ends up being like 15-20 quid!

Thumbs up if you leave early and go to Tesco/ASDA beforehand with a big handbag/baggy jumper
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I fail to see why I should have to sit through 30mins of adverts before the film I paid 9.95 to watch. Much the same with DVDs. They should be rewarding people who PAY for the goods-pirates dont have to watch adverts or be locked in on formats
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I went to showcase on Wed, paid £7 for two tickets to the Hunger Games. Not sure where else you can get 2.5hrs of entertainment for two people for that money.
    • 31 followers

ReputationRep:
    I love the cinema!!! Especially the small independent ones because they have lovely cheap prices for teenagers, thus making my life easier, and cheaper. It feels so sad and lonely sitting in a room watching it on the computer. Went to the cinema today to see The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, everyone was laughing, it was lovely. Only reason the cinema is expensive if you're a student is if you buy food. So don't buy food. Just starve/dehydrate through the film, or sneak your own in. And Orange Wednesdays are my best friend. Went to see the Hunger Games on Wednesday with my friend and it cost us less than £3 for it, since it was 2 for 1 so we just halved the price of one ticket. With student discounts and stuff it should only cost about £3-4 really. Of course, if you're an adult then it's much more expensive, and if it's a family then it must be extortionate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swaggiee)
    Id rather break the law

(Original post by *WiNdOw LiCkEr*)
    Sorry, I fail to see why I should have to sit through 30mins of adverts before the film I paid 9.95 to watch. Much the same with DVDs. They should be rewarding people who PAY for the goods-pirates dont have to watch adverts or be locked in on formats
    What the hell kind of super expensive cinema are you guys going to?!?
    It's £5 at my local one, which isn't too bad I guess - £3 on Mondays
    It's more at the nearest Odeon though.
    I do watch stuff online a lot but if there's a new film out that looks really good I'll go to the cinema - most people I know still do.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 15, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki film section

Quick link:

Unanswered film threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.