should sex offenders be sterilized?

Rep:
    I think by removing the sexual urges of these offenders would remove the need to commit the crime. But i dont think they should be forced against their will to have them removed.

Some countries have it where the sex offender can volunteer for chemical castration (or in this case physical) for a drastically reduced sentence which seems good.

But then again how is that fair on the victim? but thats another argument

Rep:
    Does this include 16 year olds who have sex with 15 year olds?

Rep:
    OP thinks sterilisation and castration mean the same thing. Thread fail.

In a liberal society, people should not be penalised for being a certain sexual orientation which is what "sex offence" laws discriminate against.

They should not be criminalised for having consensual sex, which is what "sex offence" laws criminalise. Castrating people for having consensual sex, to me, seems barbaric and stupid.

They should not be criminalised merely for breaking social norms, which is what is criminalised under sex offences law. Castrating people simply for not wanting to be forced to do something they don't want to = stupid.

Rep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Does this include 16 year olds who have sex with 15 year olds?
    It includes people who have consensual relationships with their stepbrother, stepsister, even if they are over the age of consent. So just because one of your parents is or used to be in a relationship with a parent of the other person, both of you are now "sex offenders". It criminalises many types of consensual sexual activity.

It includes people who don't like wearing clothes, they are automatically "sex offenders" even though there is nothing inherently sexual about the human body.

It targets people of certain sexual orientations, even though they may have never caused harmed to someone else in their life.

It targets people who are genuinely in love with each other and harming no one, by throwing them into prison.

What the OP is suggesting should be ridiculed and shamed.

Rep:
    Well, you wouldn't want to be wrongly convicted..

Rep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    as the title says really, ive seen several people on this site arguing sex offenders should be forcibly castrated to 'cure' or at least inhibit their deviance, whats everyone elses opinion on this? is it against their human rights or do they, to quote a someone 'have it coming'?
    Would you chop of a thief's hands?

That's all I have to say on the subject.

Rep:
    (Original post by The Phelps)
    Would you chop of a thief's hands?

That's all I have to say on the subject.
    makes little difference what i would personally do as i havent expressed any view on either subject, i have simply asked a question.

Rep:
    I think paedophiles should be because I don't believe that they can necessarily help their feelings and urges. Some of them have actually voluntarily opted to be sterilised. I think it should be forced because I think the human rights of innocent children should mean more than the human rights of a paedophile.

Rep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    It includes people who have consensual relationships with their stepbrother, stepsister, even if they are over the age of consent. So just because one of your parents is or used to be in a relationship with a parent of the other person, both of you are now "sex offenders". It criminalises many types of consensual sexual activity.

It includes people who don't like wearing clothes, they are automatically "sex offenders" even though there is nothing inherently sexual about the human body.

It targets people of certain sexual orientations, even though they may have never caused harmed to someone else in their life.

It targets people who are genuinely in love with each other and harming no one, by throwing them into prison.

What the OP is suggesting should be ridiculed and shamed.
    if you would learn to read then you can see that i have suggested NOTHING and merely put forward a view i have seen others express.

Rep:
    They do it for pleasure, not to reproduce.

The OP is a moron. Look up what sterilisation means.

Perhaps you mean castrated.

In fact reading many of the above posts, a load of you are a shower of *****. Pick up a dictionary or delete your TSR account.

Rep:
    Erm no?

Rep:
    (Original post by Stefan1991)
    OP thinks sterilisation and castration mean the same thing. Thread fail.

In a liberal society, people should not be penalised for being a certain sexual orientation which is what "sex offence" laws discriminate against.

They should not be criminalised for having consensual sex, which is what "sex offence" laws criminalise. Castrating people for having consensual sex, to me, seems barbaric and stupid.

They should not be criminalised merely for breaking social norms, which is what is criminalised under sex offences law. Castrating people simply for not wanting to be forced to do something they don't want to = stupid.
    Agreed.

If both (or more) parties are consenting, without coersion, there should be no restrictions just because it break what the "norm" of society is. I think the OP is making the case for non-consentual offences.

Even still, chemical castration is still sick.

Rep:
    Isn't human castration illegal by the Geneva Convention though?...

Rep:
    Yes. They should be sterilised The very least. Better to castrate though.

Compassion for evil is cruelty towards the innocent.

Rep:
    makes little difference what i would personally do as i havent expressed any view on either subject, i have simply asked a question.
    Sorry, that wasn't an attack on you or your thread. I often quote the OP of threads that aren't massive as they tend to forget the thread exists and then never see the responses otherwise.

As you're here... What are your views on the topic?

Rep:
    Nope. Of course not. 'Sex offender' is such a broad term that it's a stupid suggestion, and we need to focus on punishing murder more- that's the worst crime in society. We can worry about all the others later.

Rep:
    just make their reproductive parts fault.

Rep:
    (Original post by The Phelps)
    Sorry, that wasn't an attack on you or your thread. I often quote the OP of threads that aren't massive as they tend to forget the thread exists and then never see the responses otherwise.

As you're here... What are your views on the topic?
    oh apologies, i got the wrong end of the stick :rolleyes:

well ... i dont know im divided, putting this as a blanket punishment for every sex offender is ridiculous and greatly out of proportion but i feel that some violent rapists and child rapists who dont learn their lesson this may be an appropriate punishment for, although that being said it probably wouldnt stop them anyway so jail works just as well

Rep:
    (Original post by navarre)
    Nope. Of course not. 'Sex offender' is such a broad term that it's a stupid suggestion, and we need to focus on punishing murder more- that's the worst crime in society. We can worry about all the others later.
    depending on which sex crime some people might beg to differ on that one particularly victims of rape or child molestation who have to live with the horrific emotional damage for the rest of their lives.

Rep:
    depending on which sex crime some people might beg to differ on that one particularly victims of rape or child molestation who have to live with the horrific emotional damage for the rest of their lives.
    Some people can beg to differ till the cows come home- looking from a rational, objective viewpoint, murder is the worst crime in society.

Ending someone's existence is exponentially worse than any emotional damage inflicted on a single victim of a sex crime, no matter how bad the sex crime may be. Nothing can be worse than killing another human being.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

: April 9, 2012

Which unis are the poshest?

See what students perceive to be the classiest establishments in Britain

Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.