Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should sex offenders be sterilized?

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    as the title says really, ive seen several people on this site arguing sex offenders should be forcibly castrated to 'cure' or at least inhibit their deviance, whats everyone elses opinion on this? is it against their human rights or do they, to quote a someone 'have it coming'?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, I don't think that would cure their problem/ this problem in society in aggregate.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    just lock them up. stop defending criminals, stop drawing the line then moving it to suit yourself, stop provoking double standards, stop appeasing terrorists and get a back bone.

Liberals dese dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The day the state has the legal authority to chop bits of you off is the day that I leave for the moon.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrJon)
    just lock them up. stop defending criminals, stop drawing the line then moving it to suit yourself, stop provoking double standards, stop appeasing terrorists and get a back bone.

Liberals dese dayzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    what?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JollyGreenAtheist)
    The day the state has the legal authority to chop bits of you off is the day that I leave for the moon.
    i think i should point out quite a few states in recent times have done this; america, switzerland, sweden, canada and nearly the UK :rolleyes:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think certain rights are forfeited once you decide to break the law, but this is incredibly invasive and possibly irreversible. I would be opposed to it due to the possibility of false convictions.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

Just kidding. I doubt sterilising sex offenders could ever get past Human Rights.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calumsteele1)
    i think i should reiterate the point that 'I' dont want to do anything, this isnt my view. i've just seen it tossed around a bit on TSR and other sites and was curious what the bulk of people thought.
    Oh, no i misunderstood the meaning of castration, so you wouldn't actually cut of their penis, just the testes and ovaries. My bad lol, erm then, I guess- it's not that bad. It's cruel, but they may be slightly deserving.
    And I know it's not your opinion, you just started the thread.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    What if people are wrongly accused? That just turns up more problems :/
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just castrate one rapist and you will see how dramatically the number of rapes will go down.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think i should point out quite a few states in recent times have done this; america, switzerland, sweden, canada and nearly the UK :rolleyes:
    Argumentum ad populum.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Good lord no. I believe in redemption, if they've made a mistake at least offer them the oppurtunity to change themselves. Sterilising seems such a brutal and savage way to punish someone.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    sex offender is a loose term. so no.

plus the fact people lie about being raped (recent story of a guy going to prison for 9 years after his daughter claimed he raped her. a better topic would be 'should lying about a crime carry the same punishment as the crime itself, ie if you lie about being raped (happens quite a lot) should you go down, as the only reason for lying is to ruin someones life' if you are wondering, the girl didnt get any charge as the judge thought it might 'stop girls from reporting real cases' ... there aren't enough expletives in the english language to allow me to verbalise my anger.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Argumentum ad populum.
    my latin isnt what it used to be, care to translate ?
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    it's an argument from popularity. Just because a lot of people believe it to be true doesn't mean it is true. Or the good thing to do, in this case.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    The logical fallacy wherein an argument is invalidated if it uses mass conformity to justify an action.

You mentioned that several countries currently practice this form of justice. Argumentum ad populum suggests that their practice of this is immaterial; the majority of people believed the Earth was flat some years ago, that does not mean that it was a sound judgement, it just meant that a lot of people believed it. The same can be applied to the sterilisation of sex offenders.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The logical fallacy wherein an argument is invalidated if it uses mass conformity to justify an action.

You mentioned that several countries currently practice this form of justice. Argumentum ad populum suggests that their practice of this is immaterial; the majority of people believed the Earth was flat some years ago, that does not mean that it was a sound judgement, it just meant that a lot of people believed it. The same can be applied to the sterilisation of sex offenders.
    oh no you misunderstand me then i wasnt justifying or arguing a point there, i was simply pointing out that numerous countries have practised this in the past.

(Original post by chickenonsteroids)
    it's an argument from popularity. Just because a lot of people believe it to be true doesn't mean it is true. Or the good thing to do, in this case.
    ah thank you
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    oh no you misunderstand me then i wasnt justifying or arguing a point there, i was simply pointing out that numerous countries have practised this in the past.
    Ah, my apologies then .
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    This one is never going to get past the ECHR.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 9, 2012
New on TSR

Student in a Million awards

All the results from our prize-giving night

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.