The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by R4INBOW
Do I sound retarded to you? I'm merely pointing out the very foreseeable, pitiful and lonely future that you will face if you continue with your bigotry. You think you speak on behalf of all females? "No, seriously," do you? :wink: You go on as if men are any different. Have you even seen modern day society? Probably not, as you seem to be a typical keyboard warrior whose only female companion is probably their mother :smile: Guys can be shallow creatures too and it's pretty arrogant to generalise the entire female species. Keep your unnecessary misogynistic comments to yourself. Your ****ty input is not valued here :rolleyes:

ok.
Reply 41
Original post by philistine

ok.

Original post by emclme
Well, I wouldn't say it's normal, but I can understand. Basically I don't really have a relationship with my parents any more, no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't forgive them for the things they had done, because they kept on doing it and were never remorseful. When ever I have to see them I feel incredibly uncomfortable and distant, like I can never remember a time when I actually loved or even liked them. I have reasons for hating my parents and I'm sure you do have valid reasons for hating your father, you said that he made comments on you leaving... It doesn't particularly sound like a joke but perhaps it's his idea of one? I can understand how it can bother and upset you, you might get over it one day, but if you don't it's not your fault. Whatever you're feeling is normal, it's not like you hate everyone, it is just your father.

Same here
Original post by Anonymous
I hate mine, there is no specific reason...he has just never been a positive figure in my life and I have lots of issues with self esteem/my appearance probably due to him. My two best (female) friends also don't get on with their fathers for similar reasons; overly disciplinarian/verbally abusive.

I can't imagine having a Dad I liked, I truly believe i'd be a more well-adjusted person if he hadn't been in my life. It sounds terrible seeing as how he never did anything specific but I can't help feeling this way.

I sometimes think if I ever have a child I don't want the father to be involved because of my experiences, I wouldn't want my child to grow up feeling unloved/unwanted.

Does anyone else understand? Is it normal for girls not to get on with their father? (I have a good relationship with my mum)

No, it's not.

I think personally you're whining over nothing. No human relationship is without conflict and difficulty.
Original post by R4INBOW
Do I sound retarded to you? I'm merely pointing out the very foreseeable, pitiful and lonely future that you will face if you continue with your bigotry. You think you speak on behalf of all females? "No, seriously," do you? :wink: You go on as if men are any different. Have you even seen modern day society? Probably not, as you seem to be a typical keyboard warrior whose only female companion is probably their mother :smile: Guys can be shallow creatures too and it's pretty arrogant to generalise the entire female species. Keep your unnecessary misogynistic comments to yourself. Your ****ty input is not valued here :rolleyes:

lol... who the hell are you to lecture to anybody?
It may not be unusual but it is not universal.
For me it's been quite normal to hate my father for the things he has done to my family, but I wouldn't go as far to say it's normal for girls in general to have such an extreme dislike for their parent. It comes down to personal situations.
I would further add that people who claim to "detest" their parents should be thrown to the wolves or something. Unless it's for serious issues (like physical/sexual/emotional abuse), they probably don't even deserve parents.

Our Western society is too dopey in this regard, we reckon it's cool to say that, but it's frankly mentally unhealthy.
Reply 48
Original post by dan_stanting
I would further add that people who claim to "detest" their parents should be thrown to the wolves or something. Unless it's for serious issues (like physical/sexual/emotional abuse), they probably don't even deserve parents.

Our Western society is too dopey in this regard, we reckon it's cool to say that, but it's frankly mentally unhealthy.

If the parent has had nothing but negative contributions to a persons life why is it so bad to have a strong disliking towards them. If someone was continually critical and insulting to you would you respect them despite them having done nothing to earn this respect? Just because you share half of someone's DNA doesn't mean you have to be eternally grateful to them.

I have never regarded it as 'cool' to hate my father, infact the opposite. I am not proud of it, nor is it something that I have just 'decided' to say for attention. It's the manifestation of my feelings over 22 years which have culminated in nothing but disliking for a man who has had little to do with me otherwise.
Well I sure do love my dad. He brought me into the world and cared for me. Why on earth would it be normal to hate him?!
Original post by HeavyTeddy
According to Freud, no :wink:

LOL
Original post by R4INBOW

Damn I've ran out of positive rep! Every time I see that guy has posted somewhere I expect it to be another load of misogynistic rubbish.
Original post by Anonymous
If the parent has had nothing but negative contributions to a persons life why is it so bad to have a strong disliking towards them. If someone was continually critical and insulting to you would you respect them despite them having done nothing to earn this respect? Just because you share half of someone's DNA doesn't mean you have to be eternally grateful to them.

I have never regarded it as 'cool' to hate my father, infact the opposite. I am not proud of it, nor is it something that I have just 'decided' to say for attention. It's the manifestation of my feelings over 22 years which have culminated in nothing but disliking for a man who has had little to do with me otherwise.

Human nature is as is, nobody really respects people who mistreat them.

But if a parent provides food, clothing, shelter, attention, etc., then disrespecting them is abnormal IMO.
Reply 53
lol... who the hell are you to lecture to anybody?

umm...who are you to tell me I can't lecture anybody?

This can go on for a while :rolleyes:
Original post by R4INBOW
umm...who are you to tell me I can't lecture anybody?

This can go on for a while :rolleyes:

It's common knowledge that nobody has total insight. if the OP wishes to detest, it's her own business.
Reply 55
It's common knowledge that nobody has total insight. if the OP wishes to detest, it's her own business.

But I wasn't lecturing the OP. I was lecturing that misogynistic pig known as "philistine". :cool:
I don't consider it normal. I adore my father. He's always been there for me, even if he drives me up the wall sometimes. I actually get on less well with my mother.

I do have friends though who hate their fathers. I suppose it depends on the individual case, but I think deep down most of us don't really hate our parents.

I find it extremely annoying when people like you lecture other people about how they should feel about their family. You have absolutely no idea what happens in another's family, and therefore have no right to judge them or look at them with disgust.

Though, to be honest, a lot of people who do hate or strongly dislike their mother/father is due to the things you listed (physical/sexual/emotional abuse). It's not unusual for there to be some sort of emotional abuse happening in a family household, it's actually really quite common. So don't be so quick to judge someone if you haven't the faintest idea what they're going through.

I strongly dislike my father for various reasons, mostly because of the emotional abuse he has put our family/mum through and some physical abuse towards my mum. Though my dad has never really done anything to me directly, his actions say everything about how he really feels. It's hard to believe someone who supposedly loves me and my siblings could find it so easy to abuse my own mother knowing how much it's hurts us all and after all that, he still expects me to meet up with him or speak to him like he hasn't done anything wrong at all. He says he 'loves' me, but does he ****. If he did, he would fix things and not continue. He would actually pay the child support and mortgage payments he legally has to pay, so me and my siblings have a roof over our head. But he doesn't.

Our Western society has far too many ignorant people who are too quick to judge others.
Reply 58
No, I love my Dad and we get on really well. A few of my friends dislike their Dad's though, mostly because they're too pushy when it comes to school-work/ restrict what they can do too much...
I had problems with my dad too, and there have been times when we weren't on speaking terms. I think he just didn't know how to deal with kids, because it felt like I was always being punished for something by him, and I was always terrified he'd lose his temper and there were times he got violent, right up until I was 17 and about to leave home. I guess that's where I get it from.

Nowadays we do talk and I think of him as a decent person, and I think we are able to cope with each other now that we're not living in the same household.

Latest

Trending

Trending