The Student Room Group

'Anti-elitist' prat tries to intervene with the boat race.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by moritzplatz
you don't understand anything about rowing.

Sporting event is in progress, streaker jumps in/on, event is stopped for a bit whilst the police capture, beat up and drag off the streaker, event is resumed. Yes it's more disruptive of a boat race than of a football match due to the shortness and intensity of the boat race, but the same principles apply - why is this interruption being the springboard for discussion about security at the Olympics if streakers have been doing the same thing for years? I've heard more about this guy than I have about the rower who ended up in hospital, which must be wrong.
Reply 301
Original post by Hopple
Sporting event is in progress, streaker jumps in/on, event is stopped for a bit whilst the police capture, beat up and drag off the streaker, event is resumed. Yes it's more disruptive of a boat race than of a football match due to the shortness and intensity of the boat race, but the same principles apply - why is this interruption being the springboard for discussion about security at the Olympics if streakers have been doing the same thing for years? I've heard more about this guy than I have about the rower who ended up in hospital, which must be wrong.

I think it is more than just the short and intense nature which is why it affects it more. You have the momentum and stroke rate built up, etc.. To stop in the middle does kind of mess with everything that the leading team had going. Can you imagine if the 1500m had to be stopped and restarted halfway through? :redface:
Reply 302
Original post by ForKicks
I think it is more than just the short and intense nature which is why it affects it more. You have the momentum and stroke rate built up, etc.. To stop in the middle does kind of mess with everything that the leading team had going. Can you imagine if the 1500m had to be stopped and restarted halfway through? :redface:

Just start them from their positions when the umpire told them to stop. It's unfortunate if you were going faster at the time since you have more momentum to lose, but you could say most sports involve 'momentum', for example in football commentators will say one team has momentum if they've had a period of prolonged possession and chances and any stoppages are going to damage that.

A similar thing can be done with 1500m, especially now we have TV cameras watching every part of every race, often from multiple angles.
Reply 303
Original post by sugar-n-spice
LOL

much more entertaining than some silly old boat race you only havr to look at how little chance state school kids have to get into to Oxbridge to see how elitist the whole thing is

I'm not disagreeing with what you said but you certainly said it in the wrong place!

Do you think he's bitter about not making a success of his life despite his priviledged background or did he just want to make a name for himself?
Original post by MTR_10
I'm not disagreeing with what you said but you certainly said it in the wrong place!

Do you think he's bitter about not making a success of his life despite his priviledged background or did he just want to make a name for himself?

lol i know, but i new they wud react like this

LSE isnt a failure though
Reply 305

True. But he hasn't done much since has he? Hes 35.
Original post by Hopple

oxford bowman is fine now.
anyways the problem is that it never happens that someone stops a 400 meters sprint at the olympics and they just say, oh well, let's do it again but 200 meters.
this completely destroy the game. oxford was so much lighter that it could have been an advantage on a longer course...in any case the result was completely falsified by this idiot.

it is if you wanted to get into oxbridge and got rejected.
Reply 308
oxford bowman is fine now.
anyways the problem is that it never happens that someone stops a 400 meters sprint at the olympics and they just say, oh well, let's do it again but 200 meters.
this completely destroy the game. oxford was so much lighter that it could have been an advantage on a longer course...in any case the result was completely falsified by this idiot.

That's silly. In a short event like 400m, you just get them to restart, much like if someone false starts. In a long event like the boat race, just get them to restart from where they were when the umpire stopped it if it's too far from the start.
Reply 309
What a twazzock! I feel kinda sorry for the Oxford crew. They lost their advantage because some privately educated idiot had a grudge about not getting into Oxbridge! :angry:

<3 x
Original post by Hopple
That's silly. In a short event like 400m, you just get them to restart, much like if someone false starts. In a long event like the boat race, just get them to restart from where they were when the umpire stopped it if it's too far from the start.

ok but you falsified the race.
a better example could be a 5k or a 10k meters run. but i hope you understood anyway that your example of an interruption of a football match has nothing to do with this case.
Reply 311
ok but you falsified the race.
a better example could be a 5k or a 10k meters run. but i hope you understood anyway that your example of an interruption of a football match has nothing to do with this case.

Yes it's a nuisance, but it's easily fixed. Provided you have TV cameras to show exactly where everyone was when the umpire called for the stoppage, you can just stick the runners or rowers there again for the restart.
Reply 312
What do you think the odds are of him popping up at the grand national? I would say 33/1 :tongue:

EDIT: Must have got him confused with the eventual winner
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 313
He should've intervened in the Steam forums or the politics forum of TSR instead.
Reply 314
Original post by nonotrly
He should've intervened in the Steam forums or the politics forum of TSR instead.

huh? :confused:
Reply 315
huh? :confused:

Connect A to B. You should know how to do this by now.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 316
Original post by nonotrly
Connect A to B. You should know how to do this by now.

I get that you think TSR politics forum is elitist, but it really isn't. There may be right wing support, but the 2 aren't necessarily linked.
Reply 317
Original post by forkicks
i get that you think tsr politics forum is elitist, but it really isn't. There may be right wing support, but the 2 aren't necessarily linked.

JOKES ARE SERlOUS YOU GUYS.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 318
What do you think the odds are of him popping up at the grand national? I would say 33/1 :tongue:

EDIT: Must have got him confused with the eventual winner

Yeah, only the rich and privileged horses get to the Grand National. State educated ones don't have a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending