Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

muslims, what do you have to say about this?

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chloe xxx)
    The way they go about life is very similar to muslims in many ways, but yes I acknowledge they may be very religious.
    I don't dispute that some customs are similar (I was indeed surprised when I watched the programme but definitely glad I saw it and it's changed my perception of that community).

But that's what I meant - gypsies are allowed more freedom in terms of their appearance however Islam is more respectful of women's rights.

But then you get that cross over between culture/religion - I'm not very clear on the bible's views on divorce so it may just be that culture has taken over and that's where the divorce = shame comes in and nothing to do with religion whatsoever.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermassive_muse_fan)
    I don't dispute that some customs are similar (I was indeed surprised when I watched the programme but definitely glad I saw it and it's changed my perception of that community).

But that's what I meant - gypsies are allowed more freedom in terms of their appearance however Islam is more respectful of women's rights.

But then you get that cross over between culture/religion - I'm not very clear on the bible's views on divorce so it may just be that culture has taken over and that's where the divorce = shame comes in and nothing to do with religion whatsoever.
    No. I agree with the rest of your post but rights for women come in the right to wear what you like.

Muslim women cannot do that. To be honest, I'd rather dress like a traveller but thats just me.

The girls arnt forced to dress like that, its their choice. I actually remember one of the grans saying she hated the way they dress.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I agree with the rest of your posts but rights for women come in the right to wear what you like.

Muslim women cannot do that. To be honest, I'd rather dress like a traveller but thats just me.

The girls arnt forced to dress like that, its their choice. I actually remember one of the grans saying she hated the way they dress.
    I know they aren't forced to dress like that - and it's condemned in Islam to force someone to wear a hijab. I wear a hijab and it's my choice. I don't wear a full burka and neither does anyone in my family. But I'd prefer to dress conservatively.

I just don't like this picture that most people have that muslim females are oppressed all the time and told to do this, and wear that etc. That's not true anymore. But it's not just the women - Islam is very clear that men should respect women and lower the gaze - it works both ways. Men have restrictions too.

Thats why I'm happy I'm a muslim - it believes in equality and sets out guidelines for both genders.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No. I agree with the rest of your posts but rights for women come in the right to wear what you like.

Islam instructs both men and women to dress modestly. The dress code for men includes:

1. Men must cover themselves from navel to knees.
    2. It is not permissible for men to wear pure silk.
    3. It is not permissible for men to wear gold.
    4. It is haraam for a man to wear any garment that hangs down beneath his ankles.

General dress codes include:
    - It is not permissible to wear the skin of a dead animal that has died of natural causes unless it has been tanned.
    - It is haraam to wear a garment of fame and vanity.

Yes, some people seem to think the dress code for women is more important, but that's another debate which isn't really relevant to this particular thread.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know they aren't forced to dress like that - and it's condemned in Islam to force someone to wear a hijab. I wear a hijab and it's my choice. I don't wear a full burka and neither does anyone in my family. But I'd prefer to dress conservatively.

I just don't like this picture that most people have that muslim females are oppressed all the time and told to do this, and wear that etc. That's not true anymore. But it's not just the women - Islam is very clear that men should respect women and lower the gaze - it works both ways. Men have restrictions too.

Thats why I'm happy I'm a muslim - it believes in equality and sets out guidelines for both genders.
    Ok. What if a muslim woman doesnt want to wear muslim clothes and would rather dress modestly western?

How come I always see muslims out, where man is dressed in western clothes and woman is dressed in hijab or similar?

Of course, it is your right to dress conservatively and theres nothing wrong with it. Likewise there is nothing wrong with dressing attractively. I much prefer the latter, really, unless I'm at home chilling.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok. What if a muslim woman doesnt want to wear muslim clothes and would rather dress modestly western?

How come I always see muslims out, where man is dressed in western clothes and woman is dressed in hijab or similar?

Of course, it is your right to dress conservatively and theres nothing wrong with it. Likewise there is nothing wrong with dressing attractively. I much prefer the latter, really, unless I'm at home chilling.
    I see lots of Muslim girls in Manchester wearing a hijab with trousers/jeans/skirt and a blouse/top etc.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pirate.)
    I see lots of Muslim girls in Manchester wearing a hijab with trousers/jeans/skirt and a blouse/top etc.
    True. What if she wanted to take it a step further and have no head covering?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:

I don't know but perhaps travel more - perhaps Leicester? Because most of the muslims I see dress like

That's what I dress like. When I say conservative - I don't mean long loose cardigans necessarily, I mean you don't need to show a lot of skin to look beautiful. My fashion icon would be Audrey Hepburn :love: But I don't judge when I see other muslim women in a hijab but with a short skirt and tights - yes it does look a bit odd but meh, it's her life and everyone is responsible for themselves. Like so, if I see a woman with a burka I don't think she's a sheltered woman.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    True. What if she wanted to take it a step further and have no head covering?
    I don't see the point of all these hypothetical scenarios because there are various possible outcomes.

If she was forced to wear the hijab, she'd probably take it off after leaving the house anyway.
    If she was forced and decided she didn't want to wear it, then that's her choice isn't it.

If she was wearing it voluntarily, then she it'd probably be easier for her to take it off and wear it again than someone who was forced. Although the chances of her no longer wearing if it was initially her own decision are smaller, since I'm assuming she must have thought about it before she started wearing it.

Again, with regards to this hypothetical scenatio, I assume your response will be:
    ''What if she is forced to wear it and tells her family she doesn't want to, but they say she has to'' ... well I don't know the answer to that. Her family are obviously going the wrong way about dealing with it (this is why I don't like these ''What if ...'' scenarios).
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, also with regards to the Islamic dress code, isn't it haraam for both men and women to imitate the way a non-Muslim dresses, which is probably why you don't see practicing Muslims wearing mini-skirts, low cut tops, shorts etc. I could probably be wrong about this.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, also with regards to the Islamic dress code, isn't it haraam for both men and women to imitate the way a non-Muslim dresses, which is probably why you don't see practicing Muslims wearing mini-skirts, low cut tops, shorts etc. I could probably be wrong about this.
    Yes it is, it's haraam. That's exactly right.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't know but perhaps travel more - perhaps Leicester? Because most of the muslims I see dress like

That's what I dress like. When I say conservative - I don't mean long loose cardigans necessarily, I mean you don't need to show a lot of skin to look beautiful. My fashion icon would be Audrey Hepburn :love: But I don't judge when I see other muslim women in a hijab but with a short skirt and tights - yes it does look a bit odd but meh, it's her life and everyone is responsible for themselves. Like so, if I see a woman with a burka I don't think she's a sheltered woman.
    Ok, I understand. Why cover your head and hair though, its not like its your boobs or anything private? It just looks grannified, really. Of course though, its your choice. I just think that, you can dress modestly without having to wear a headscarf.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I understand. Why cover your head and hair though, its not like its your boobs or anything private? It just looks grannified, really. Of course though, its your choice. I just think that, you can dress modestly without having to wear a headscarf.
    Simple answer, because Allah has instructed them to.

http://quran.com/24/31

Non-Muslims used to wear a head covering for modesty before Islam came into practice.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Simple answer, because Allah has instructed them to.

http://quran.com/24/31
    Thanks. In the same way Allah tells to maim the unbelievers?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. In the same way Allah tells to maim the unbelievers?
    :yes:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    :yes:
    Cool. Thanks for confirming why so many people detest Islam.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Grannified :rolleyes: rather that than the sluts uniform you'd pick. Well at least we've come to the agreement that it is indeed a choice.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome, it's what you wanted to hear isn't it. Any more questions?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    wtf is she doing on the beauty contest anyway

just a disgrace to degrade women
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which is why it's the fastest growing religion :^_^:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 22, 2012
New on TSR

Submitting your UCAS application

How long did it take for yours to be processed?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.