Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Ask the coalition

This thread is sponsored by:
Announcements Posted on
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I understand this Toronto but I don't really want to hear from "tehfrance" if he's just going to put up un-supported arguments towards not doing more to reduce accidents.
    Accidents occur due to people either being crap drivers and thus should never have passed their test in the first place, they have fallen into bad habits which requires them to go back and relearn or they are driving under the influence.

More regulation on the roads will not reduce accidents as the same idiots will still cause them while those that are good drivers are being penalised, it is not right.

Quite frankly the left need to wake up and understand that wrapping the population in cotton wool will not solve anything but will make people annoyed and more likely to take risks that they otherwise would not have done.
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    How are you guys finding the trappings of power?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I understand this Toronto but I don't really want to hear from "tehfrance" if he's just going to put up un-supported arguments towards not doing more to reduce accidents.
    That's a bit rich. So far I've seen you put comments like "aye" or "nay" (it's "no" btw) without substantiating them in the slightest!

I also understand your point that accidents can be caused by carelessness and freaks accidents rather than someone not following rules and regulations. My new Bill is not trying to regulate roads more, its main concept is to put more measures in place to make sure the roads become safer. I'm not asking in the Bill for people to be more careful, just to install new equipment to increase the chance of causing less accidents at busy junctions and on major roads.
    Until we see your Bill we, Transport Secretary included, cannot comment on the provisions it contains - at the moment it sounds like more regulation (that's what measures are!) but providing that you justify them empirically I'm sure the Government would keep an open mind.

(Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    Just swell. Secretary of state for equalities is a powerful job entrusted to very few people. :hat: How're things floating about in limbo?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thunder and Jazz)
    It's allowed me to increase my collection of titles.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    That's a bit rich. So far I've seen you put comments like "aye" or "nay" (it's "no" btw) without substantiating them in the slightest!
    There's no obligation to state why when you vote for or against. At least we've got the votes from the MPs, that's I can see that matters. Also, I'm a new MP and I've just completed my first week in MHoC. I personally think I've done pretty well. I've got myself elected as a Shadow Minister, I'm writing a newspaper and representing two parties in the MUN. And you're SOS for Equality and Minister for Magic. I don't think they are very important jobs in the Government, do you?

(Original post by JPKC)
    Until we see your Bill we, Transport Secretary included, cannot comment on the provisions it contains - at the moment it sounds like more regulation (that's what measures are!) but providing that you justify them empirically I'm sure the Government would keep an open mind.
    Yes, exactly. You can't. You can't underestimate a bill if you haven't even seen it. So start criticising a pretty good bill once you've seen it, not now.

All I asked was a simple question the Transport Secretary and now I've got myself hooked into your fun & games. Please, no more on the subject unless it's the SOS for Transport himself. I may as well had PM'ed internetguru.
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    All I asked was a simple question the Transport Secretary.
    As toronto said, anyone can answer.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    There's no obligation to state why when you vote for or against. At least we've got the votes from the MPs, that's I can see that matters. Also, I'm a new MP and I've just completed my first week in MHoC. I personally think I've done pretty well. I've got myself elected as a Shadow Minister, I'm writing a newspaper and representing two parties in the MUN. And you're SOS for Equality and Minister for Magic. I don't think they are very important jobs in the Government, do you?
    JPKC is an integral part of the Government and certainly adds a lot to our Government through his perspective and his Bills. I am sure that I speak for the entire Government when I say that. There of course is no obligation to expand on your point of view, but a) there's little point of being an MP if you only vote and don't debate, b) MPs should set the example to new members so that they can see how it's done and c) it doesn't actually help improve Bills if you simply say 'no'.

You may thing that you've done well, but pride comes before a fall. Many people have achieved a lot within this House and, while I am not belittling what you've done, you shouldn't belittle others for their achievements.

Yes, exactly. You can't. You can't underestimate a bill if you haven't even seen it. So start criticising a pretty good bill once you've seen it, not now.

All I asked was a simple question the Transport Secretary and now I've got myself hooked into your fun & games. Please, no more on the subject unless it's the SOS for Transport himself. I may as well had PM'ed internetguru.
    See above point on pride. Also, this is ask the coalition, not ask your government opposite thread so your point about PMing the SOS is rather irrelevant because you haven't noticed what the spirit of this thread is.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Don't bite my head off! It was just a tad hypocritcal of you to demand an explanation when you often don't offer one yourself. Personally I think the MHoC is about arguing politics and so the one-word judgements in debates irk me a bit (it's not only you that does it, other MPs - including myself - have). And I'm a new guy as well, only been active for like two months - hopefully one day I can rise to the prestige of shadow secretary of state for transport.
    :moon:
    FYI the two positions I hold are not actually serious - neither exist in the real government (MfM is from something I like to call Harry Potter). They just reflect what I'm up to at the moment (equalities bills and magic).

Where've I criticised it?

The Coalition works under the principle of cabinet government which means we each have a say in policy so all answers here are equally poignant, so don't just shrug 'em off.
    • 32 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Don't bite my head off! It was just a tad hypocritcal of you to demand an explanation when you often don't offer one yourself. Personally I think the MHoC is about arguing politics and so the one-word judgements in debates irk me a bit (it's not only you that does it, other MPs - including myself - have). And I'm a new guy as well, only been active for like two months - hopefully one day I can rise to the prestige of shadow secretary of state for transport.
    :moon:
    FYI the two positions I hold are not actually serious - neither exist in the real government (M.f.M is from something I like to call Harry Potter). They just reflect what I'm up to at the moment (equalities bills and magic).

Where've I criticised it?

The Coalition works under the principle of cabinet government which means we all have a say in policy so all answers here are equally poignant, so don't just shrug 'em off.
    Equalities is a RL Portfolio, held by Theressa May.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    Just about to make that point. You beat me to it Morgsie, curse you!
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    JPKC is an integral part of the Government and certainly adds a lot to our Government through his perspective and his Bills. I am sure that I speak for the entire Government when I say that. There of course is no obligation to expand on your point of view, but a) there's little point of being an MP if you only vote and don't debate, b) MPs should set the example to new members so that they can see how it's done and c) it doesn't actually help improve Bills if you simply say 'no'.
    I'm sure he does but I've not seen much evidence of it being honest. My fellow Labour colleagues have also had their ups and downs and I suppose mine had to come one day too. I do try my very best to comment on the bills being discussed but you've all been here so much longer than me and have more experience. I've only just worked out how to format bills, not the content within them. So I'd appreciate if you did give me the chance to prove myself. We've got a lot term ahead of us and I'm sure you'll see my debating side on the issues I firmly believe in and know a lot about.

You may thing that you've done well, but pride comes before a fall. Many people have achieved a lot within this House and, while I am not belittling what you've done, you shouldn't belittle others for their achievements.
    I'm not trying to, but JPKC doesn't have a good reputation recently from what I've seen in the past week. I recognise the achievements of others in the Model Parliament and I do congratulate them, but if someone is disrespecting me for one small, measely question about Road Safety, that I have the right to question him and ask/follow up on what he is saying.

See above point on pride. Also, this is ask the coalition, not ask your government opposite thread so your point about PMing the SOS is rather irrelevant because you haven't noticed what the spirit of this thread is.

I think I have realised what the contents of this thread is. I wanted to ask a coalition member about a transport related matter. I think you should be glad I even asked it publicly otherwise you wouldn't have got a look in edgeways would you?
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    I know - I don't think it's a secreary of state position though, even if it should be. Important whatever it's called I reckon.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Okay Thanks for that...
    • 24 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I think you should be glad I even asked it publicly otherwise you wouldn't have got a look in edgeways would you?
    Oh là là... why so touchy?
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I'm sure he does but I've not seen much evidence of it being honest. My fellow Labour colleagues have also had their ups and downs and I suppose mine had to come one day too. I do try my very best to comment on the bills being discussed but you've all been here so much longer than me and have more experience. I've only just worked out how to format bills, not the content within them. So I'd appreciate if you did give me the chance to prove myself. We've got a lot term ahead of us and I'm sure you'll see my debating side on the issues I firmly believe in and know a lot about.
    Of course, but then you're never going to really make your mark if you don't debate more. If you make errors, so what? You've given each and every debate a go and that's all that matters. I appreciate that you're making an effort, but so is this Government and criticising us for doing our job or not doing our job (as you perceive it) will only lead us to criticise you and that isn't really what this House it about.

I will give you a chance to prove yourself and I look forward to seeing your Bill.

I'm not trying to, but JPKC doesn't have a good reputation recently from what I've seen in the past week. I recognise the achievements of others in the Model Parliament and I do congratulate them, but if someone is disrespecting me for one small, measely question about Road Safety, that I have the right to question him and ask/follow up on what he is saying.
    With regards to the last sentence, I agree with you. With regards to JPKC, I'll admit as much as the next guy that he didn't have the great start, but he's turned it around and been a model member of our model Government. I honestly can not fault the guy for the amount of effort he puts in and how much effort he has put into reforming. I'll put my hands up on this one and I will say that my first impression of him was wrong.

I think I have realised what the contents of this thread is. I wanted to ask a coalition member about a transport related matter. I think you should be glad I even asked it publicly otherwise you wouldn't have got a look in edgeways would you?
    Getting a look in edgeways in a question really does not concern me either way. I know that this Government and I are working hard to tackle the problems that this country faces and show Labour how a Government should be run.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    Wasn't dissin' you or your Bill... (Haven't even seen it yet!)

I was rude for a bit when I was a new member too! The Government has a private subforum where we collegially discuss things exactly like your Bill, so being nice to everyone and taking everybody's suggestions on board is a good way to go about trying to get the Bill passed.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Oh là là... why so touchy?
    I can assure you that after the length of time I have spent in this place, it doesn't bother me in the slightest. This Government is working to solve the problems of this country and showing Labour how things should be done and that is what I am focused on.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    I was rude for a bit when I was a new member too! The Government has a private subforum where we collegially discuss things exactly like your Bill, so being nice to everyone and taking everybody's suggestions on board is a good way to go about trying to get the Bill passed.
    I'm very happy to take suggestions, in fact, I'd appreciate them. My bill probably won't be perfect first time around as it's one of my first.

I'm not going to be putting on a happy face if I'm clearly not happy - I would like to make sure that my bill is passed so that's why I'm willing to debate and take on board other people's views.

The Labour Party also has a private sub-forum where we discuss your bills too, that's not news to me.
    • 49 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)
    I'm very happy to take suggestions, in fact, I'd appreciate them. My bill probably won't be perfect first time around as it's one of my first.

I'm not going to be putting on a happy face if I'm clearly not happy - I would like to make sure that my bill is passed so that's why I'm willing to debate and take on board other people's views.

The Labour Party also has a private sub-forum where we discuss your bills too, that's not news to me.
    I look forward to reading your view and debating it with you.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    I look forward to reading your view and debating it with you.
    Hmmm, me too :cool:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 6, 2012
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.