The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 2 - Waves

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Dog4444
Where the chap uses two voltmeters?

Yeah, but the part where you have to calculate the value of R. Also, when doing that part, do you assume that one of the voltmeters is replaced with an ammeter or do you keep it as two voltmeters? Because if you keep it as two voltmeters, then surely no current will get through so you won't be able to tell what the resistance is.
Original post by brittanna
Yeah, but the part where you have to calculate the value of R. Also, when doing that part, do you assume that one of the voltmeters is replaced with an ammeter or do you keep it as two voltmeters? Because if you keep it as two voltmeters, then surely no current will get through so you won't be able to tell what the resistance is.

current will get through. But the reason you need an ammeter is to measure the current. And the ammeter should replace V1. V2 is in the correct place, as it measures the potential difference accross the component.

Regarding V1, it is 10M(ohm). Which is a huge number, in total it uses up all the energy and there is none left for the component with 100 ohm.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by UserInvalid
current will get through. But the reason you need an ammeter is to measure the current. And the ammeter should replace V1. V2 is in the correct place, as it measures the potential difference accross the component.

Regarding V1, it is 10M(ohm). Which is a huge number, in total it uses up all the energy and there is none left for the component with 100 ohm.

And how do you calculate the value of R?

the voltage going in V2 = 3V.
The resistance of the component = 100 (ohm)
Work out the current by V = IR

I = V/R
I = 3V/100 (ohm)
I = 0.03 Ampere

Now you know the EMF = 9V and the voltage accross the component = 3V

the voltage accross R = 9V - 3V = 6V
The current is the same accross the series circuit. Hence it is 0.03 Ampere (as calculated before)

Now use V = IR to work out the value of R.

R = V/I
R = 6V/0.03A
R = 200 (ohm)

Its simple and easy as that.
Original post by UserInvalid
the voltage going in V2 = 3V.
The resistance of the component = 100 (ohm)
Work out the current by V = IR

I = V/R
I = 3V/100 (ohm)
I = 0.03 Ampere

Now you know the EMF = 9V and the voltage accross the component = 3V

the voltage accross R = 9V - 3V = 6V
The current is the same accross the series circuit. Hence it is 0.03 Ampere (as calculated before)

Now use V = IR to work out the value of R.

R = V/I
R = 6V/0.03A
R = 200 (ohm)

Its simple and easy as that.

I found a copy of the answer sheet online and it says the answer is 10Mohms.

http://www.fizix.info/securedocs/alevel/gce08/examzone_markschemes/unit2topic4_examzone_ms.pdf

If you need a username and password, user is student, password is bosco.
Reply 45

Potential dividers?

I don't get should we ignore the second voltmeter either.

If we ignore it:
6/3=10^7/R so R=5*10^6

If not:
I got
5*10^6=1/R+1/10^7
And you get R=10000000

Any of those correct?
(edited 12 years ago)
I found a copy of the answer sheet online and it says the answer is 10Mohms.

http://www.fizix.info/securedocs/alevel/gce08/examzone_markschemes/unit2topic4_examzone_ms.pdf

If you need a username and password, user is student, password is bosco.

Yeh I noticed. I mis-read the question to be honest.

The question says " The student replaces the 100 (ohm) resistor with another resistor of resistance R. The reading on V2 becomes 3.0V.

This is potential dividers.

Dog444 got it correct. Check out his working
Reply 47
We're calculating the young's modulus of copper wire for our practical. We're doing it at the moment as well. I don't do any other sciences with edexcel though. What are you doing for your practical?

my teacher has given me some tips for the practical....and has done some past papers. but that didnt help me. i mean i feel that there should be some kind of compiled stuff for the practicals. becoz i have found practicals to be much harder. there r some methods of the paper which we candidates must know to get an A grade in the practical. and thats what is lacking in our resources. Its just what i think :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest